Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-02-2020, 08:25   #1
DOCARCH
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,851
Storm Ciara - Reports/Chat/Non Technical

Hi Folks

New thread for all chat and non-technical discussion in relation to Storm Ciara.

Off ya go....
DOCARCH is online now  
Advertisement
08-02-2020, 08:43   #2
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
Hi Folks

New thread for all chat and non-technical discussion in relation to Storm Ciara.

Off ya go....
Lads, what do you think are the chances of an orange upgrade for western counties between now and tomorrow afternoon?

I need to decide in the next few minutes if I have to cancel an event. It’s a sleepover for beaver scouts (ages 6-8)
It will take place indoors in Clare (Quinn, 30km away from the coast) but these are very young kids and lots of them will be away from home and their parents for the first time so if the weather is going to be worse than the usual yellow level weather overnight or tomorrow morning then this could be a bit scary for them, and the venue is next to a river so is there a risk of flooding in this part of the country?
Akrasia is offline  
08-02-2020, 08:45   #3
pad199207
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit.de.frog View Post
Snow will be the bigger disruptive influence rather than wind over the next few days.
Your a brave breed of frog i tell ye
pad199207 is online now  
08-02-2020, 08:46   #4
KingJeremy
Registered User
 
KingJeremy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 68
Im no weather expert and wouldn't have a clue about charts etc...but I'd postpone it!
KingJeremy is offline  
08-02-2020, 08:48   #5
DOCARCH
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12,851
Tough call Akrasia!

It would not surprise me if other counties along the western seaboard are added to Orange warning during the day.
DOCARCH is online now  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
08-02-2020, 08:50   #6
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJeremy View Post
Im no weather expert and wouldn't have a clue about charts etc...but I'd postpone it!
We’re leaning towards this option just from a risk assessment perspective. It would be a huge disappointment for the kids who are really looking forward to it so I don’t want to overreact if it’s a northern county event and Clare just gets a Normal wet and windy February day
Akrasia is offline  
Thanks from:
08-02-2020, 08:51   #7
froog
Registered User
 
froog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Excellent post and fascinating re the cats. Mine are erratic today as they were yesterday. The 3 rescues I took in 18 months ago were street cats and they are staying out now by choice. They have shelter in the sheds here. Clearly feel safer when with an open door and half a roof!.

I learned to respect the weather when in Orkney where fatalities happened if you did not, Same in the islands here. Easy to forget when you are enjoying the thrill, which is also very real and fine.

For me, no great thrill as we are well weathered out here. Well prepared and very respectful indeed. Aware that were I to be careless and need help it would endanger my neighbours and rescuers.
Do you have reinforced windows and doors etc? Any other special protective features of your house? Just curious.
froog is offline  
08-02-2020, 08:51   #8
nthclare
Registered User
 
nthclare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Lads, what do you think are the chances of an orange upgrade for western counties between now and tomorrow afternoon?

I need to decide in the next few minutes if I have to cancel an event. It’s a sleepover for beaver scouts (ages 6-8)
It will take place indoors in Clare (Quinn, 30km away from the coast) but these are very young kids and lots of them will be away from home and their parents for the first time so if the weather is going to be worse than the usual yellow level weather overnight or tomorrow morning then this could be a bit scary for them, and the venue is next to a river so is there a risk of flooding in this part of the country?
The river in Quinn never floods to cause any disruption.
Its safe enough honestly it wont overflow.
And from the motorway to Quinn there's never flooding.
nthclare is offline  
Thanks from:
08-02-2020, 08:53   #9
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,440
It looks like a beautiful morning out there, what time are the winds expected to ramp up?
NIMAN is offline  
Advertisement
08-02-2020, 08:53   #10
Kermit.de.frog
Registered User
 
Kermit.de.frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 14,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad199207 View Post
Your a brave breed of frog i tell ye


Kermit.de.frog is online now  
08-02-2020, 08:56   #11
Gaoth Laidir
Registered User
 
Gaoth Laidir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Lads, what do you think are the chances of an orange upgrade for western counties between now and tomorrow afternoon?

I need to decide in the next few minutes if I have to cancel an event. It’s a sleepover for beaver scouts (ages 6-8)
It will take place indoors in Clare (Quinn, 30km away from the coast) but these are very young kids and lots of them will be away from home and their parents for the first time so if the weather is going to be worse than the usual yellow level weather overnight or tomorrow morning then this could be a bit scary for them, and the venue is next to a river so is there a risk of flooding in this part of the country?
Should be no problem. Go for it
Gaoth Laidir is offline  
Thanks from:
08-02-2020, 08:58   #12
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
Tough call Akrasia!

It would not surprise me if other counties along the western seaboard are added to Orange warning during the day.
It’s a bit frustrating that I cannot rely on Met Eireanns warning system. If I knew it would stay as Yellow then we’d definitely go ahead but they have a habit of keeping the warmings low and raising them at the last minute when it’s too late. It kind of defeats the purpose if we have to make a judgment call based on the current warning and having to guess if it’s going to change within hours of the storm arriving
Akrasia is offline  
08-02-2020, 09:08   #13
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 25,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCARCH View Post
Mod Note: New chat/non-technical discussion thread opened for Storm Ciara:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058052509

Can we (try and) keep this thread for technical discussion only....and....charts, maps, satellite pics, observations, data and forecasts.

Please post in the appropriate thread.

Moderators will move posts as they deem appropriate.
Please will the mods this time keep a close eye on the chat thread? When this split happened on Lorenzo and Brendan it degenerated into personal attacks and vituperation.

I honestly think it is healthier and wiser to keep to the one thread as surely no great hardship to scroll past posts you do not like.


Blessings and peace

Last edited by Graces7; 08-02-2020 at 09:12.
Graces7 is offline  
08-02-2020, 09:12   #14
Akrasia
Registered User
 
Akrasia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Should be no problem. Go for it
I agree that it’s most likely going to be fine but we had to make the call to postpone it because even a small chance of an upgrade is too much for this group of kids. If they were older and more experienced I would go ahead

Thanks for your advice
Akrasia is offline  
(2) thanks from:
08-02-2020, 09:13   #15
aisling86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
It’s a bit frustrating that I cannot rely on Met Eireanns warning system. If I knew it would stay as Yellow then we’d definitely go ahead but they have a habit of keeping the warmings low and raising them at the last minute when it’s too late. It kind of defeats the purpose if we have to make a judgment call based on the current warning and having to guess if it’s going to change within hours of the storm arriving
Having 2 kids in beavers myself you wont regret postponing it. The rain will be hammering down with v strong winds. I reckon the parents are only waiting for you to cancel.
aisling86 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet