Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Atlantic Storm Watch 2014: February/March

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Slowly picking up in Waterford, mean 15kt and gusting to 30kt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

patneve2 wrote: »
    There will probably be a 1 hr (max 2 hours) window of storm force winds in the most exposed areas. IMO strongest winds of the season in coastal SE and E this evening/early tonight.
    Yup.
    Same victims flooding wise as yesterday too only worse probably.
    Expect the Avoca,Slaney and Barrow to burst,along with others.
    More mayhem and a lot more people finding insurance hard to get next year as they enter the flooding blacklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The focus is (understandably) on coastal flooding on the east coast, but with the land so saturated and the rainfall forecast, flooding must be an issue for any of the rivers and streams fed from the Wicklow Mountains? Actually in my back yard, water has been running off the grass into the paved area the last week or so during rainfall as it is.
    Yep some rivers are already very swollen and with up to 45mm in 24 hours I expect flooding inland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

patneve2 wrote: »
    There will probably be a 1 hr (max 2 hours) window of storm force winds in the most exposed areas. IMO strongest winds of the season in coastal SE and E this evening/early tonight.

I don't think it'll be as strong as Stephen's night. Remember there were red warnings from Met Eireann for southern counties during that storm and HIRLAM showed storm force winds all along the coast whereas now it is showing a small area of storm force winds off shore.

I think it will probably be the strongest since then though.

Current highest gust is 80 km/h at Sherkin which is bang on with the WRF for this time, so far no surprises. It's going to get very wet in the southwest shortly....

nmmuk-11-7-0.png?04-12

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I'm guessing Tramore is going to get a bit of action tonight? Considering we are slap bang south east and coastal?

I was down the prom yesterday and it was fairly rough however the tide was going back out, we seem to be getting it bad the last couple of days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The river lee looks very choppy already.
    Also tide should be at its lowest now and it has a look of a tide thats about 2 hours from high tide.

I was a bit dubious about the warnings for Cork but am certain now serious flooding is going to happen

I'm guessing Tramore is going to get a bit of action tonight? Considering we are slap bang south east and coastal?

I was down the prom yesterday and it was fairly rough however the tide was going back out, we seem to be getting it bad the last couple of days!

Should be fairly stormy down there this evening, peak winds will be just before high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Low tide is meant to be at 3pm in Cork.
    However right now the tide is blowing back up towards the city. We have white horses on the river lee hours before the low hits.

Expect upgrades of the warnings on the South coast the high tide at just before 9pm could be devastating. Expect flooding 2 hours beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Around what time should we be expecting the winds to start hitting north western counties, it looks like the wind field pushes up further north later in the day, albeit not as strong as we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Taking a short study break... ah sure ill do some surface analysis :p

292286.jpg

292287.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

just found out there, that there shutting the entire city center down. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Low tide is meant to be at 3pm in Cork.
    However right now the tide is blowing back up towards the city. We have white horses on the river lee hours before the low hits.

Expect upgrades of the warnings on the South coast the high tide at just before 9pm could be devastating. Expect flooding 2 hours beforehand

I hope people are not underestimating the flood potential for Cork City, with SE/S winds pushing water back up the estuary, combined with high tide + the huge amount of water coming from upstream, coupled with nearly non-existent flood protection, this could be the worst flooding seen in around the City for a number of years.

Of course it might be a near miss with usual flooding, but everything is pointing to the other way and the City council are putting out warnings as such. Hopefully all drainage has been cleared from the previous event.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the rain begins in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

sunbabe08 wrote: »

And rather intelligently, they're also closing the tunnel tonight (for non-urgent works). Joined up thinking, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

And rather intelligently, they're also closing the tunnel tonight (for non-urgent works). Joined up thinking, eh?

Let me guess at 8pm??? The council is just the best :)

Wind and rain has started here in Cork city, the low rumbling wind, also gone very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Hey sunbabe08! Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

As Spindle said in earlier post , does not look good for Cork City ,here in the South West after a very windy few hours , spattering of rain starting to arrive ,swirling wind mainly south Easterly , sky grey black towards the Sw.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

Jack lynch tunnel open until 10pm tonight because of the expected flooding

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Winds really picking up here in the last half hour. Average speed currently 32km/h gusting to 60km/h. Pressure falling rapidly to a current 981 hPa. This has the makings of a historic storm for the South and East.

Live Conditions from Waterford City

http://www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxlive.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone know who ran the wexfordweather.com website? Seems to be gone now which is a shame as it was the only station I could find from Wexford town.

Gust of 92 km/h at Sherkin. Should be 100+ km/h there at 3pm before peaking around 4pm between 110-115 km/h. Cork City should see peak gusts around 5-6pm. Should still be gusting around 80-85 km/h at high tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Lads any idea how heavy the rain will be in north leinster, just seen the sky news forecast and the heaviest stuff seems to be in the south and lightens as it heads north. Fields around here fairly saturated, not sure how much more they'll take before they flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Few pre frontal showers rocking through here now with heavy precip and some hail thrown in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Gust of 92 km/h at Sherkin. Should be 100+ km/h there at 3pm before peaking around 4pm between 110-115 km/h. Cork City should see peak gusts around 5-6pm. Should still be gusting around 80-85 km/h at high tide.

Lovely, just when I'm heading home from work :eek:

Eeeek!

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

Coastal west cork, Gust of 86kph - 2m agl @ 14:26. 60kph sustained. Dunno too much about it but professor google tells me that estimate for 10m agl would be 114kph (*1/0.75) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Rain just arriving in Cahir now, along with a pretty gusty winds. Caught it cycling back from the shops, uphill, with about 8kg of shopping on my back, 'twas fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Heavy-ish rain/hail shower a while ago, now the wind is starting to pickup a lot from the SSE. Expecting peak gusts here on the coast in Dalkey of around 120 km/h anytime between 20:00 and 23:00 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Cork city being closed down.

• Advertisement

It seems the tide in Wexford Harbour is levelling off 60-90 minutes before low tide.

pm2KQH1.png

Sherkin gusting to 96 km/h at 3pm, slightly weaker than expected there.

Advertisement