Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old IRA Military Pension Records

• 06-12-2013 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I received old IRA military pension records for one of the people on my Family Tree.

In the question that asks what military activities you took part in, the answer is "None save as an 'E'".

Anybody have any idea what "E" is ? Extra?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

....In the question that asks what military activities you took part in, the answer is "None save as an 'E'".

Anybody have any idea what "E" is ? Extra?
    I know it’s a bit zombie but the OP is still around/posting and the topic is back in the news with the latest releases of the Brigade Activity Reports no doubt provoking more searches.

Be careful in your searching – I’ve found that not all links work and the search function is not particularly good! I’ve had poor success with the ‘search entire database’ but some specific / localised searches work.
    I’ve had more than a few difficulties in tracing some individuals – one person I know for definite had a MSP but it he is not recorded in the database. His reference number is also listed on the pension of his sister but it is incorrect. She can be found only by searching under her married name, although she served in Cumann na Mban in her maiden name.

In response to the OP, under the Military Service Pension Act, 1924 and in the First Schedule to the Military Service Pensions Act,1934, the amount of pension was determined by time in service and grade
    Under the MSP Act, 1924 the grades were :
    Grade A = Private/NCO.
    Grade B = Lieutenant/Captain
    Grade C = Commandant/Major
    Grade D = Colonel/Major General
    Grade E = rank higher than Major General.
    Under the MSP Act, 1934, the grades were reversed – so for an ‘Old IRA’ pension, Grade ‘E’ referred to a Private/NCO.

Advertisement