Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Request : Looking for marriage..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not seeing anything likely in either Clare or Galway, or indeed Ireland.. have you found the couple on the 1901 return ?

possible service record for him on Anc.

Name: Michael McHugo / Birth Date: abt 1873 / Birth Place: Kiltormer, Galway
    Age at Enlistment: 19
    Marriage Date: 13 Jun 1896 / Marriage Place: Drumcliffe
    Document Year: 1892
    Regimental Number: 26676 / Regiment Name: Royal Engineers
    Form Title: Short Service Attestation
    Family Members:
    Michael McHugo Self (Head)
    Kate OLeary Spouse

Ennis/Drumcliff RC parish records are available on their website, but not a very flexible search... haven't found anything for them so far

edit : McHugh Michael / Cath O'Leary 13/06/1896

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

shanew wrote: »
    not seeing anything likely in either Clare or Galway, or indeed Ireland.. have you found the couple on the 1901 return ?

This is most likely her :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Clare/Ennis_No__2_Urban/Chapel_Lane/1069459/

edit : McHugh Michael / Cath O'Leary 13/06/1896

What's interesting is that the chap who asked me to get the marriage record said that the family name was McHugh but looking at the census and army records it's clearly McHugo.
    There's a McHugo family in the right parish in Galway that also matches.

• Advertisement

Shanew, seeing as you confirmed the year I went through all the 1896 marriages on Ancestry for Michael M* and found this :

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=FSIrelandCivRegMarriage&indiv=try&h=2824660&indivrecord=string.Empty

Name: Michael M'Hugo
    Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1896
    Registration district: Ennis
    Volume: 4
    Page Number: 109

The indexing doesn't list Kate/Cate as a possible bride but it looks like an indexing error.

cross-match for that is on the BMD index on FamilySearch, but the year is transcribed incorrectly

Name Kate O'Leary
    Event Type :Marriage
    Quarter and Year : Apr - Jun 1893
    Registration District Ennis
    Volume 4 / Page 109

the record is inconsistent in the FamilySearch data... the search index has it under 1896, but the detail has a mix of 1896 and 1893...

327884.jpg

Thanks for all that Shanew. I got the cert and it was spot on. I then went to look for his birth cert and there was really only one possible match for a Michael McHugo in 1873/74

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FBMR-BMR

I got his cert today and while the place of birth doesn't quite match up with the townland in his army records it's not a million miles away (Kiltomer, Newtown, Portumna make up a triangle, all about 20Kms from each other).

As well as that the father is listed as John while he's a James in the Marriage cert.

DfUumrt.png

icexfjI.png

Do we reckon that it's the right guy ?

I'd agree that birth cert is likely correct, right area etc. I wouldn't be too worried about the slight mismatch re father, particularly as it's not exactly a common surname, and also since he is noted as deceased at the time of marriages, so easier for someone to mix up, or forget...

There are a few possible deaths for the father as either James or John in Portumna district, I think the John M'Hugo death in 1882, age 35 is probably the best match, others seem a little old ? Michael would have been just 11 when his father died..

p.s. army records generally note the civil parish as place of birth

Also just to say that I sent the fax for the birthcert on Monday at 3pm and received it via e-mail today at 2pm. Amazing service !

• Advertisement

Next step....

The marriage of John McHugo and Bridget Martin. I found 5 kids all born between 1864 and 1873 at Newtownbracklagh, Portumna, Co. Galway.

I have so far not found any trace of a marriage cert. The 1869 marriage of John McHugo is not the right guy.

There are a few possible deaths for the father as either James or John in Portumna district, I think the John M'Hugo death in 1882, age 35 is probably the best match, others seem a little old ? Michael would have been just 11 when his father died..

I've saved up a lot of searches so splashed out on a 1-month rootsireland subscription so I've looked into the matches. which do we think it might be...

Name: John McHugo
    Date of Death: 02-Jan-1882
    Parish / District: PORTUMNA
    Address: Bracklagh

Informant : McHugo, Kate
    Address: Bracklagh

His age, location and occupation checks out. I have no idea who Kate might be though.

John McHugo
    Date of Death: 03-Jun-1873
    Parish / District: PORTUMNA
    Address: Bracklagh Duniry

Informant : McHugo Martin
    Address: Bracklagh Doniry

This is a strange one. The age, occupation, location are fine but if it's him then he fied 5 months before Michael McHugo was born.

this is the one I was thinking might fit..

Name John M'Hugo
    Event Type Death
    Quarter and Year Jan - Mar 1882
    Registration District Portumna
    Age 35 (est. year of birth 1847)
    Volume 4 / Page 291

I wonder if the age transcribed on the RootsIreland entry, or the one index in the GRO index is a mistake ?
    Pity there's no way to cross-reference the national register volume and page references with the RootsIreland transcript...

It always helps to take a break from something and come back to it, starting from scratch, just to confirm what you've already got. But in this case it turns out that I'm most likely on the wrong track.

I started with Michael McHugo on the 1911 census as a Sargent in the Royal Engineers. This I knew to be my man. Next I tried to pin down his birth cert and based on his age from his army discharge papers where was only 1 possible option. There was an incorrect father's name (John/James) but the rest fitted, and this gave me his mother's name, Bridget (Martin) McHugo.

What I had failed to do though was find Michael in the 1901 census. Normally he should be with his wife living in or around Co. Clare and it didn't take long to find him in Tipperary; Married and an NCO in the Royal engineers.

While looking for him though I also came across another Michael McHugo. This one is living with his mother Bridget at Newtownbracklagh, Galway. The place that my Michael is from. I believe that while the marriage cert is fine, the birth cert that I posted earlier in the thread is for the Michael McHugo who is living with his mum in 1901 and not my guy (who happens to be from the same area if not the same parish).

So I go back and look for another birth record and I manage to find one. Michael McHugo born in Claremadden, 4 miles from Kiltomer where the other Michael is from) and born in the same year, 1873. All this is perfect except the father's name is Patrick and Michael's army papers sad that his father's name was John.
    The mother is this cert is also a Bridget which doesn't make things too easy :)

So two boys born with 1 month of each other, within 4 miles of each other, with mothers with the same first name and whose fathers are both farmers !

EDIT : I went back to his army papers for another look and spotted that where it saw next of Kin ; wife Catherine, it originally said Patrick McHugo but had been crossed out!

So any theory as to why Michael got his father's name wrong on his marriage cert? Michael was only 5 when his father died if that helps.

Ponster wrote: »
    ....While looking for him though I also came across another Michael McHugo. This one is living with his mother Bridget at Newtownbracklagh, Galway. The place that my Michael is from. I believe that while the marriage cert is fine, the birth cert that I posted earlier in the thread is for the Michael McHugo who is living with his mum in 1901 and not my guy (who happens to be from the same area if not the same parish).

So any theory as to why Michael got his father's name wrong on his marriage cert? Michael was only 5 when his father died if that helps.

so two Michael McHugos in the same area ?, and I was thinking it was a rare enough surname...

re father's name, I suspect he just forgot - I suspect the same thing for my one of my gtgt-grandfathers, father died when he was abt the same age as your Michael. Not sure where he got the father's name he gave for his cert, as his mother didn't remarry and the name doesn't appear in anything I've found for this family, so far at least... I'm 99% certain I have the correct birth for him as I found a good match for him in the small town he named as his place birth on census returns (this was in England)

p.s. I think the using your parents first names, especially when very young, might be a modern thing ?

Advertisement