Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FamilySearch Center

Options
  • 09-09-2011 11:12pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has ever used a FamiySearch center for research? It's €8.50 per microfilm so could get pretty expensive as I have a lot of years to cover.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

Not sure where the 8.50 cost comes from, but I've used Family search a few times in the past few weeks and it cost me €4 per cert photocopy I ordered, think I've spent about €50 so far but it's my hobby so I don't think of the cost of it for now!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Hmmm, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I was referring to the LDS sites (https://www.familysearch.org/locations) where you can order microfilms of Irish records. It's €8.50 here in France for 1 film.

I down load a form from here http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm and fill in the details from Family search website, and select photocopy, and it only costs €4 for each copy, but thats obviously just for Irish records!

Meant to say too that you can fax in your order to them, they are very quick at sending them out, usually only a matter of days, would be a lot cheaper anyway, loads of others have used this method too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I think you're talking at cross purposes. If I'm reading this right Ponster wants to know if anyone ever ordered a film to be viewed at a Family Search Centre & dido2 is talking about ordering certs from GRO using the civil references on www.familysearch.org?

Ponster I've viewed microfilm at the local Family Search Centre in Cork but never had to order film in, they had the films I needed on file, so can't help there I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

dido2 wrote: »
    Meant to say too that you can fax in your order to them, they are very quick at sending them out, usually only a matter of days, would be a lot cheaper anyway, loads of others have used this method too!

Cheers. I've already ordered plenty from them (GRO). I usual fax them (via skype). My problem is that I can't find someone and have 10+ possible targets. €16 for the microfilm (for 2 years) will probably work out cheaper than ordering random certs

Thanks again.
    Ponster I've viewed microfilm at the local Family Search Centre in Cork but never had to order film in, they had the films I needed on file, so can't help there I'm afraid.

Hmmm. I'm guessing that as I'm in France they'd need to order it in I guess.

sorry about that ponster!!!!

I've still got a lot to learn it seems!

Wyldwood

Where in cork can you view them? Is there more information on the films than is posted online? I've still quite a few to look for yet and if I thought there was more info I'd go for a look........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

there's a Family Search Centre on Sarsfield's Rd in the Mormon Church next to the funeral home. If you go to the home page on www.familysearch.org & click on FamilySearch Centres at the top you can input Cork into the search box & you get the contact number. You ring & make an appointment. It's quite small & they only have 2 microfilm viewers so you may have to wait a while for an app.
    It's a few years since I've been there.

dido2 wrote: »
    sorry about that ponster!!!!

No worries. I should have made myself clearer. :)

Wyldwood wrote: »

Any idea if there's an easy way to find out what a center has?

I went through the https://www.familysearch.org/films/ site and presumed that you had to have films ordered in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I would say just phone them up, and they should be able to tell you, or drop in. The one in Derry has all the Irish certificates that the LDS microfilmed, so it's a brilliant resource. I'm just around the corner too :D I would doubt that a French centre would have many, if any, Irish resources.

I've ordered a few films from the website, but they weren't certs (because of the above). Be careful if you're ordering that you're not ordering using the numbers on the individual records - those microfilm numbers refer to the INDEX reel and not the certificates.

Advertisement