Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rainfall warning Thurs 05 /Fri 06 April 2018

• 04-04-2018 5:26pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Warrants a thread I think. A sizeable amount of rain to fall on an already saturated ground.

Met Eireann

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Kilkenny, Wexford, Clare, Limerick and Tipperary
    Update on previous warning.
    25 to 30mm of rain expected this evening, tonight and for a time tomorrow, with a risk of spot flooding.

Issued:Thursday 05 April 2018 15:00
    Valid:Thursday 05 April 2018 18:00 to Friday 06 April 2018 15:00

STATUS YELLOW

Rainfall Warning for Cork, Kerry and Waterford
    Update on previous warning.
    30 to 50 mm of rain expected this evening, overnight and for a time on Friday with the risk of spot flooding.

Issued:Thursday 05 April 2018 15:43
    Valid:Thursday 05 April 2018 18:00 to Friday 06 April 2018 15:00

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A bit of a spread between the models to where the heaviest rain will fall.

tempresult_lrc3.gif

arpegeuk-25-53-0_vvr5.png

tempresult_abd9.gif

hirlamuk-25-48-0_rkn0.png

tempresult_uev2.gif

iconeu_uk1-25-52-0_cin8.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hard to predict exactly when yo see how complex the weather system is and looks quite slow moving as it fills and unravels over Ireland.

1KQLwKv.gif?1

lAUwKx7.gif

EDlNCGq.gif

Quite windy on coasts also and will be interesting to see if anything becomes of that feature on Fri showing up on the ARPEGE bringing strong winds into the SW/S

tempresult_rnd0.gif

tempresult_itn5.gif

tempresult_oya7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It has been an awful 8 months since the beginning of August. Such cold windy damp weather.
    Is there any positive outlook in the forecast at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

February was a very good month, not just from a cold/snow lovers perspective. It had plenty of sunshine. Obviously, I'm talking more about the east than the west.

Back on topic, lovely rain shadow over Dublin on the Arpege. Hope that verifies for us in Dublin. ICON not too bad. Let's just all pray that we get paid back with some dry weather over summer to compensate for this wet spell. This might be potentially disruptive for the south, a yellow warning wasn't issued in these parts not too long ago so some parts are looking at near 100mm over a space of a week.

Latest predictions of accumulated rainfall from the models. The S / SW soaking up most of the rain. Some big totals on mountains will make for a lot of run off.

nmm_uk1-25-36-4_vnw5.png

36-777UK_gel6.GIF

PtPqOei.png

arpegeuk-25-34-0_asp7.png

iconeu_uk1-25-37-0_kwv2.png

hirlamuk-25-36-0_yzz3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing rain here now in Cork City. System looks to be starting to hit according to ME radar, some very heavy rain coming and going right now. The pools which had dried up a bit over the last two days in my garden are basically back and bigger then before already.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its a wet and windy night now in the south
    9pm
    Cork airport gusting 41 knots along with moderate rain.
    Roaches point 40 knots
    Valentia 40 knots
    Sherkin 36 knots
    Mace head 36 knots

9.6mm here near Tralee so far this evening, moderate rainfall that has lightened for now .

Wind eased somewhat, 10 min avg 19 km/h SSE

2s4L2YE.gif

Some models showing quite strong winds moving up along Atlantic coasts tomorrow associated with that small filling LP that could be quite vigorous in its early stage . Worth keeping an eye on it.

tempresult_kgi3.gif

tempresult_wjl1.gif

tempresult_zyv2.gif

eLxm6ov.png

Stu611O.png

T86qEHC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

West Mayo; offshore
    Mayo is not mentioned in the warnings but a loud hard gale and sheeting rain. Abominable weather!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wind is the ting not the rain.

Non stop pelting rain here since at least 6:30/7pm. Hasn't eased up at any point and is going sideways in the wind.

Another 9mm here near Tralee overnight, stopped now and sky is lighter with some brighter patches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Lashing and ****ty here so far this morning in Kilkenny. Excuse the scientific jargon. I know most of you won't have a clue.

Graces7 wrote: »
    West Mayo; offshore
    Mayo is not mentioned in the warnings but a loud hard gale and sheeting rain. Abominable weather!

Clearly someone read that as we are now up there with the rest. Gale and sideways deluges and cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Relentless heavy rain since about midnight here in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Not much rain in Dublin until the last hour. 1.6mm recorded today so far. When I looked at the radar picture and saw how much rain was about and how little I'd recorded I went to clear the gauge but looking at the radar for the whole morning there does seem to be a mostly clear spot continuously over Dublin until an hour ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wetter than I expected in Dublin 16. 7.2mm so far today.

Never seem s much standing water as today. Waded through a foot to get to my post box..
    However the sun as just broken through..

West Mayo; offshore

Had to go out the back to let the gas man read the meter. Never have I seen my garden so wet and muddy. There was a pool of water left in my footprint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The sun is shining now after not that much rain. Only 2.8mm recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very windy up along the Mayo coast now. Mace Head gusting 49 knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gust of 78 km/hr here in Castlebar, very wild in the last half hour, 23.8mm of rain as well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Graces7 wrote: »
    Never seem s much standing water as today. Waded through a foot to get to my post box..
    However the sun as just broken through..

West Mayo; offshore

Giving your location a foot of water seems nothing :D

Xenji wrote: »
    Gust of 78 km/hr here in Castlebar, very wild in the last half hour, 23.8mm of rain as well so far.

Thanks. Gale of epic proportions out here too.. Gusts are making me startle. West Coast Mayo .

Advertisement