Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wednesday Night War *Spoilers for AEW and NXT*

• 26-09-2019 3:12pm

I thought this might be a good thread for people that want to discuss both shows after they air on Wednesdays (which show you preferred etc). I don't want to post what happens on AEW in the NXT thread for example in case it spoils the AEW show if people haven't watched it yet. Admins feel free to delete though if there is no need for another thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

It'll be more of a brief skirmish than a war. NXT will wipe the floor with AEW on every level.

J. Marston wrote: »
    It'll be more of a brief skirmish than a war. NXT will wipe the floor with AEW on every level.

I think I might have set up a thread for the WWE vs TNA "war" as well tbf :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For me, so far, NXT will take precedence on Thursday. I know we won't factor into any of the "war" anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

NXT next week will be a Takeover level card and no doubt special appearances.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Been away from wrestling long enough that I know nothing about NXT anymore and have no interest in finding out, but AEW I'm willing to give a shot. Especially since the Jericho stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Been away from wrestling long enough that I know nothing about NXT anymore and have no interest in finding out, but AEW I'm willing to give a shot. Especially since the Jericho stuff

Then you are missing out my friend. NXT is nothing like Raw or Smackdown, has that small indie vibe with top class production and talented wrestlers. NXT is kinda like a different promotion even, if there was no mention of WWE on it you'd be surprised to think that WWE are producing it.

Well I can't wait until next week, NXT on the Wednesday night and watch AEW once NXT is over through FITE.

Yeah I think the NXT title match appeals to me more than the AEW title match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

NXT is still the one I'm keeping a keen eye on but I'm looking forward to it anyway. Really curious to see that dirty word around here we call RATINGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I feel with the advent of the internet, streaming and DVR services, there will never be a true "war" such as there was with Raw & Nitro back in the day. You had to watch one or the other back then. These days, you can watch it all at a time that suits you.

You really don't have to pick a side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think most people like myself will just watch highlights of both shows after the first couple of weeks of this war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

I think most people like myself will just watch highlights of both shows after the first couple of weeks of this war.

Same, I'll be watching both, just think that the more options for wrestling fans to watch the better.

Don't see it as a war at all, clearly WWE/NXT could wipe the floor with them financially, and in terms of audience reach, global recognition, production values etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dannocasey

I've not watched any modern wrestling, aside from clips here and there, in over a decade. However, through listening to a few podcasts, reading articles and what not, I'm a little bit intrigued about what might happen with AEW so I'm going to watch both full shows the first week they go head to head. I'm unsure if I'll stick wth either product after these viewings but it feels like a historic moment worth checking out.

I wish AEW the best of luck, especially as WWE needs some competition, but I'm not sure how competitve they can be and how much of a 'war' this will be. Hopefully, AEW will be strong and offer another career path for aspiring Irish wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

Does AEW have a YouTube channel? NXT I can watch on the weekends since I have the Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Does AEW have a YouTube channel? NXT I can watch on the weekends since I have the Network.

Gotcha covered, and there's links to the Being The Elite YouTube, Cody's Nightmare Family YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFN4JkGP_bVhAdBsoV9xftA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

wont say any spoilers but thought NXT edged it show wise but both very good and AEW defintley looks better production wise and arena wise

even though i think NXT i think AEW will smash them on the ratings with it being first show and it will take a few months to see the real winner be clearer

NXT will struggle over the weeks stuck in Full Sail it looks dirt cheap (All that's missing is early '90's WCW spinning ring) and the same fans in the same seats week in week out going through the motions trying to get themselves overs.

AEW looks Main Event with its production.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Yeah of all things it's the production that was the difference and it was WWE that come off the worse in it.

It's hard to know how it will go down. Purely comparing the upper card I'd give NXT the edge. Plus WWE have the bigger bag of tricks as indicated last night with who showed up.

AEW might have a loyal core of a fan base but they'll have to keep working extremely hard.

One thing I will say both shows put on a better show than RAW or Smackdown have over the last while.

How great would it be if both shows started to catch up or even out do RAW and Smackdown in the ratings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

What was noticeable for me is a real lack of big guys in AEW

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

ricero wrote: »
    What was noticeable for me is a real lack of big guys in AEW

That's why they signed Swagger.
    If they can they should sign Lance Archer & Brody King. Both are easily talented enough to be put on TV now. They can work with ranges of talents too.

• Advertisement

https://www.thewrap.com/all-elite-wrestling-dynamite-ratings-aew-nxt-wwe/amp/

AEW - 1.409 million viewers
    NXT - 891,000 viewers

WWE statement
    “Congratulations to AEW on a successful premiere. The real winners of last night’s head-to-head telecasts of NXT on USA Network and AEW on TNT are the fans, who can expect Wednesday nights to be a competitive and wild ride as this is a marathon, not a one-night sprint.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I’m not surprised by the 1.4m Aew did more surprised kept any bit of distance with the 800k

J. Marston wrote: »

May have to eat humble pie. Great start for AEW.

What were the ratings for the first NXT show on USA? I'm sure a lot of people watch the first episode of many shows to see what they're like. But I do think AEW did enough to keep at least most of the viewers for next week. At the same time, I'm sure we'll have ones going for AEW that chose NXT this week and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

https://www.thewrap.com/all-elite-wrestling-dynamite-ratings-aew-nxt-wwe/amp/

AEW - 1.409 million viewers
    NXT - 891,000 viewers

WWE statement
    “Congratulations to AEW on a successful premiere. The real winners of last night’s head-to-head telecasts of NXT on USA Network and AEW on TNT are the fans, who can expect Wednesday nights to be a competitive and wild ride as this is a marathon, not a one-night sprint.”

AEW's next PPV after Full Gear. AEW One-Night Sprint!

It's all about watch time, I'm sure there will be some news about the watchtime of NXT soon from the network. They may even do a comparison an say if it was tv with the combined ratings and watchtime this is what it would have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Surprisingly classy statement from wwe.. Been watching wrestling since 1990 and this all feels like a great time to be a fan again. I don’t understand or see the tribal stuff- maybe cos I don’t give a fcuk what fans say on Twitter or buy into the whole “you have to pick a side”- I see if with younger people when it comes time movies (DC and Marvel) and just don’t get why people can’t try to enjoy everything

Which main roster guy will turn up on NXT next week to spike the ratings?

How long before Vince, Steph, Shane or HHH turn up in character to fight the evil AEW?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Which main roster guy will turn up on NXT next week to spike the ratings?

How long before Vince, Steph, Shane or HHH turn up in character to fight the evil AEW?

The Man's Man, I mean Seth Rollins threw some shade at Matt Riddle.....

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I wonder is more to do with Riddle getting moved in the draft.

Actually thinking about it they could stack the NXT roster in the draft tomorrow night. Next week.

• Advertisement

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Matt Riddle is someone I didn't like at all in the beginning but now I think he is fantastic. Him shítting on legends just heightens his appeal to me.

Advertisement