Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing from Cherbourg to Dublin tonight

• 26-04-2019 8:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

Hi all

Myself and the family are due to depart Cherbourg at 5pm French time this evening. How bad do you reckon the crossing will be? We are due to arrive in Dublin at 11am

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/marine-inland-lakes/sea-crossings
    Have a look there. Not to good I'm afraid
    Locally very high. 9-14 meters. Can't see it sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Irish Ferries on twitter are confident of it sailing and indeed they will if at all possible due to tight scheduling.

I presume its the Yeats on service, in which case there is no better cruise ferry probably on the planet to cope with a bit of chop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

First proper bad weather for their new ship, they'll be dying to find out how she handles it. If you are bad travellers OP, turn in early and stay in your bunks. Stay off the booze and eat a light meal beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭pm.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Irish Ferries on twitter are confident of it sailing and indeed they will if at all possible due to tight scheduling.

I presume its the Yeats on service, in which case there is no better cruise ferry probably on the planet to cope with a bit of chop.

I'm about 200kms from Cherbourg atm, with waves expected to hit up to 14 meters it will certainly be a bumpy sailing. Not really looking forward to it tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Tabnabs wrote: »
    First proper bad weather for their new ship, they'll be dying to find out how she handles it. If you are bad travellers OP, turn in early and stay in your bunks. Stay off the booze and eat a light meal beforehand.

Also: "Do not sit facing backwards from your direction of travel."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Keep feet off the floor. Best advice I ever got for a bumpy sailing, and it was rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Don’t drink coffee either, god it’s awful coming back up during a choppy crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Alkers

Stay as close to the centreline of the boat as you can, depending on the ship normally about 2/3rds back from the bow is most comfortable.
    Eat crackers and sip water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Load up with sea sick tablets, its the only thing that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Get some menthol vicks if you and rub it under your nose, there may be some vomit about and that will help with the smell.

A bucket might be handy too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Get yourself some ginger nut biscuits - when I'm feeling rough and unable to keep food or water down, a nibble on them is all I can usually face - spent a miserable 24 hours last weekend sailing in horrible conditions, crying that I'd forgotten the bloody things.

And yes, the middle of the boat vertically and lengthways is the best place to be, if you've any choice in the matter.

Best of luck! Please do report back!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Get yourself some ginger nut biscuits - when I'm feeling rough and unable to keep food or water down, a nibble on them is all I can usually face - spent a miserable 24 hours last weekend sailing in horrible conditions, crying that I'd forgotten the bloody things.

And yes, the middle of the boat vertically and lengthways is the best place to be, if you've any choice in the matter.

Best of luck! Please do report back!

Just checked in ferry departure delayed until 10pm. It will take 20 hours to cross, so instead of arriving at 11am tomorrow morning we will now arrive at 8pm... At least they gave us meal vouchers

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Would love to know how this trip is going? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

They are just at lands end now expect to be in Dublin at 9pm tonight some serious pitching and rolling going on. I know a few people on it now.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Would love to know how this trip is going? :)

I'm up since 6am not much sleep, the good news is the kids slept great. We are being hammered from the port side atm a lot of rolling. Some of the ceiling tiles have fallen out from the force of the waves. We should be in Dublin for 8pm

Tried to attach a screen shot but the wifi is too weak this is where we are now 28°28'10.8"N 81°26'53.4"W

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven’t been on a really bad crossing in years, maybe 8 years.

Glad ye are getting through.
    It’s the chance we all take with the ferry each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Never again. Helsinki to Talinn during a winter storm and it was 12-14m seas.
    I would have missed that crossing for sure. Fair play for braving it. Any videos?

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Never again. Helsinki to Talinn during a winter storm and it was 12-14m seas.
    I would have missed that crossing for sure. Fair play for braving it. Any videos?

Sure do will post later when home, the wifi is too weak

pm. wrote: »
    Sure do will post later when home, the wifi is too weak

Excellent. Love a good high seas video.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes....take video! :)

Had a very rough experience on that route years ago.

It was so rough that there was no hot food/drinks served and it was too rough for crew to clean vomit off floors/decks!!! Everybody was confined to sitting.

• Advertisement

We have had to slow down again, captain just announced that we won't hit Dublin until 10pm now...

Plenty of people getting sick I'd say too much breakfast, some people are eating like we are going to run out of food lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

reminds me of a North sea crossing from scandinavia decades ago... I was so ill they would not let me off until I had seen the port doctor as there had been a typhoid scare. shudders.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

God sounds like hell- usually on a plane with turbulence or bad weather they manage to pull out of it and it’s only temporary. A long ship crossing is relentless in rough weather like being stuck in a washing machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I travel this route often and even with a 6 hour delay before I slept through most of the rougher stuff. Hope it eases off for you OP. I was on the WB Yeats a few weeks ago it was a choppy crossing but I thought the ship was very smooth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

We have had to slow down again, captain just announced that we won't hit Dublin until 10pm now...

Plenty of people getting sick I'd say too much breakfast, some people are eating like we are going to run out of food lol

Wow, that'll make it 24 hours on board so? About 8 more than it should be I think? Hope there's no damage on the parking decks.

Don't know how anyone can eat on a sailing like that. Was on an awful crossing as a young lad on Sealink ferry from Holyhead which still haunts me lol, just wanted to keep the head down and eyes closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

PauloMN wrote: »
    Wow, that'll make it 24 hours on board so? About 8 more than it should be I think? Hope there's no damage on the parking decks.

Don't know how anyone can eat on a sailing like that. Was on an awful crossing as a young lad on Sealink ferry from Holyhead which still haunts me lol, just wanted to keep the head down and eyes closed.

Ha ha exact same happened to me circa 1990- first time ever on a ship, day trip to Fishgusrd! Was a major deal at the time! Sick as a dog on the thing. Was fine with sailing ever since really. Sammy Sealink ftw

Has the ship from Cherbourg managed to dock yet in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Had same experience on a booze cruise years ago over to holyhead. Sick was everywhere. Sink bowls full of it. I had to lay down outside a toilet, seen this lady walk out. Everything looked black and white except this bright red handkerchief this lady was holding. She looked ok ,then the handkerchief gets flung to her mouth and sick squirts out of the sides.

Jesus it was brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Tried to attach a screen shot but the wifi is too weak this is where we are now 28°28'10.8"N 81°26'53.4"W

That lat/long put you just outside Orlando, Florida.

Popoutman wrote: »

I knew it, he's a time traveller.

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »

Haha don't know that happened. We are just off rosslare harbor now, the conditions have really improved just slightly choppy now. Due into Dublin at 9:30 tonight Because we missed our time slot.

Everyone on board are so p!ssed off at this stage 24 hours on board with another 5/6 hours to go, would definitely make you think twice about taking the ferry. I feel sorry for people with very young kids. Our youngest is 7 so it's not too bad

The ship handled the weather well considering how bad it was. The only damage I can see are a few roof tiles missing from the club lounge.

I will post the videos tomorrow at this stage

Advertisement