Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

OnePlus 7 Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I need to see more reviews but first impression is fairly underwhelming, still no wireless charging and still haven't got the cameras right by what I've read so far. Really thought this was the year in the run up to the launch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I wouldn't get too caught up on camera specs. Any Oneplus phone I have owned have always taking good pictures and the camera was always better than the previous iteration. So Oneplus 2's was better than one. And three was better than 2 and so on....

yeah going over 200g for the pro is heavy - a phone starts to really feel heavy at that point

still not very good on the camera front either.

having a pro model will alienate people who won't have the top model if they go for the non-pro one. even though other brands (e.g. Samsung etc) have done this for a while it's a new departure for oneplus (in the same phone segment)

screen seems very nice but not sure that that makes up for the other aspects.

As was said it's the screen that jacks up the price. Curved OLED 90Hz and 1440p.

I'm guessing it's a Samsung panel. Apple used a Samsung panel in the X model and paid a very high price for them. But nobody beats a Samsung panel in OLED so you have to pay the price or get a inferior product.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone know how much OP have closed the price gap on the big guys?

OP1 compared to iPhone/Samsung up to OP7Pro to iPhone/Samsung S10+ (highest spec)?

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much OP have closed the price gap on the big guys?

OP1 compared to iPhone/Samsung up to OP7Pro to iPhone/Samsung S10+ (highest spec)?

Still more then or equal to 200 euro cheaper.

Was thinking it was probably a similar price gap but OP are just upping the price in line with the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Was thinking it was probably a similar price gap but OP are just upping the price in line with the big boys.

The highest priced model (256GB storage 12Gb ram) is over 800 Euro. All models are listed on their site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Keith186

Very nice looking phone and good price. I think it will sell pretty well even though it's their most expensive yet.
    They are just missing a few feature to really be a flagship killer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I just noticed Three Ireland are going to be doing the OP7 Plus!

They haven't pricing yet but you can register interest

• Advertisement

The strangest thing about the reviews so far is that Android Police have been the most positive and they normally hate absolutely everything about every phone.

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I just noticed Three Ireland are going to be doing the OP7 Plus!

They haven't pricing yet but you can register interest

The phone won't be much use with no signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

The phone won't be much use with no signal.

Phone is dual SIM so runs two networks so double signal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

The strangest thing about the reviews so far is that Android Police have been the most positive and they normally hate absolutely everything about every phone.

Thought you were talking about Android Central for a second and was thinking that they usually jizz their pants at the mention of OnePlus :D

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Thought you were talking about Android Central for a second and was thinking that they usually jizz their pants at the mention of OnePlus :D

Central are normally a bit over-positive about everything. Police think everything is stupid and pointless, except the OnePlus 7 Pro apparently.

not really as the Samsungs have dropped in price since release online.

the s10+ can be had for less than 700 euro now for the 128gb model

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

glasso wrote: »
    not really as the Samsungs have dropped in price since release online.

the s10+ can be had for less than 700 euro now for the 128gb model

Does that come with the free TWS earbuds?

54&56 wrote: »
    Does that come with the free TWS earbuds?

no

Seems it's ok in water anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Bought a 8GB/256GB Pro in Blue for 710. Not sure why though as my Mate 20 Pro is as good as that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

dan786 wrote: »
    Bought a 8GB/256GB Pro in Blue for 710. Not sure why though as my Mate 20 Pro is as good as that.

Was it 710 in euros?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Was it 710 in euros?

Got a student discount 5% was around 711 something. Last time I was a student was 10 years ago but that email is still active so used that.

IJS84 wrote: »
    I bought the 5 when released, best purchase I made tech wise in years, still going strong. I dont see anything here that would tempt me to run out and buy the 7/7pro over it.

Same here.

5 is still going strong.

Reasons I wouldn't upgrade to the OP7 Pro:-

- Too big.
    - Love the face recognition on the 5, not an option with the pop up selfie camera on the OP7 Pro.
    - Hate curved screen sides. Looks cool but makes handling tricky and results in accidental input/gestures.
    - The OP7 Pro seems to have relatively poor battery life. That massive 90hz screen seems to be a big drain.
    - Price. It's getting very close to top end Samsung pricing. So close in fact that I'd be tempted to spend a bit more on a Samsung or drop right down to the mid level where the OPO started out and go for something like the Pocophone F1 for €320 or so.

Thankfully the OP5 I have is still cracking on. The only reason I would consider changing it in the near future would be if the battery started to decline but even then I'd be tempted to get OP to do a battery refresh and get another 18 months out of it.

Same here.

5 is still going strong.

Reasons I wouldn't upgrade to the OP7 Pro:-

- Too big.
    - Love the face recognition on the 5, not an option with the pop up selfie camera on the OP7 Pro.
    - Hate curved screen sides. Looks cool but makes handling tricky and results in accidental input/gestures.
    - The OP7 Pro seems to have relatively poor battery life. That massive 90hz screen seems to be a big drain.
    - Price. It's getting very close to top end Samsung pricing. So close in fact that I'd be tempted to spend a bit more on a Samsung or drop right down to the mid level where the OPO started out and go for something like the Pocophone F1 for €320 or so.

Thankfully the OP5 I have is still cracking on. The only reason I would consider changing it in the near future would be if the battery started to decline but even then I'd be tempted to get OP to do a battery refresh and get another 18 months out of it.

The Pro is only 0.06 inches taller than the 5 and 0.07 inches wider.

Thought MKHB said that you can use face unlock? He was getting 4+ hours screen on time with a 1440p 90hz screen which doesn't seem to bad especially when you can get 48% charge in 20 minutes.

Top end Samsung S10+ (128GB) is £772 from Amazon and that's dropped a bit from launch I think? The OP7 Pro is £649.

I don't think I'll be buying anyway because my launch OP5 is still going strong. I would have always upgraded every year.

The Pro is only 0.06 inches taller than the 5 and 0.07 inches wider.

Wow, ok. Must try it out in the hand so. It just looks so much bigger in the reviews. I guess a lot of the extended screen size comes from being bezel free rather than increased dimensions of the device.
    Thought MKHB said that you can use face unlock?

He did and you can but you have to wait for the selfie camera to pop up and OP recommend against using it for face recognition as it has a functional life of 300,000 cycles which in fairness should last 14 years if you were to open your phone 57 times a day and never take a selfie at all :D
    He was getting 4+ hours screen on time with a 1440p 90hz screen which doesn't seem to bad especially when you can get 48% charge in 20 minutes.

That's not too bad to start with but it's a long way from best in class and in my experience battery performance generally goes downhill in day to day use so what will it be like in 12 or 18 months time? OP might come out with some clever tweaks to optimise screen drain but even so as a starting point on a new top end phone it's not great.
    Top end Samsung S10+ (128GB) is £772 from Amazon and that's dropped a bit from launch I think? The OP7 Pro is £649.

I don't think I'll be buying anyway because my launch OP5 is still going strong. I would have always upgraded every year.

At that price differential I'd be tempted to go for the Samsung but like you I'm very happy with my 5 so it's not something I need to decide any time soon hopefully.

Might update to the 7 if Liverpool beat Spurs on June 1st so my phone will be in sync with then when they win # 7 in 2020.

Better than upgrading to the Huawei P30 Pro to be in sync with the number of years waiting for a PL title :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Where are you seeing an S10+ for £776 on Amazon? Still coming up as £899 for me.

Wow, ok. Must try it out in the hand so. It just looks so much bigger in the reviews. I guess a lot of the extended screen size comes from being bezel free rather than increased dimensions of the device.

He did and you can but you have to wait for the selfie camera to pop up and OP recommend against using it for face recognition as it has a functional life of 300,000 cycles which in fairness should last 14 years if you were to open your phone 57 times a day and never take a selfie at all :D

That's not too bad to start with but it's a long way from best in class and in my experience battery performance generally goes downhill in day to day use so what will it be like in 12 or 18 months time? OP might come out with some clever tweaks to optimise screen drain but even so as a starting point on a new top end phone it's not great.

At that price differential I'd be tempted to go for the Samsung but like you I'm very happy with my 5 so it's not something I need to decide any time soon hopefully.

Might update to the 7 if Liverpool beat Spurs on June 1st so my phone will be in sync with then when they win # 7 in 2020.

Better than upgrading to the Huawei P30 Pro to be in sync with the number of years waiting for a PL title :o

Yeah the lack of bezels would be a nice change from the OP5 and not much of an increase in overall size.

Unfortunately the 90hz seems to be a bit of a battery hog but there is an option to switch to 60hz but I don't see the point really.

I really like the pop up camera because I've no notch in the screen and I don't take selfies do it's great idea for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The pop up camera is what's really drawing me to the phone. If the P30 pro or S10+ had it I'd probably opt for one of those. Not sure how anyone can consider it a gimmick. It's not there to amuse you by moving up and down, it's providing a very real benefit to the user experience by getting that notch/punch hole off your screen.

The pop up camera is what's really drawing me to the phone. If the P30 pro or S10+ had it I'd probably opt for one of those. Not sure how anyone can consider it a gimmick. It's not there to amuse you by moving up and down, it's providing a very real benefit to the user experience by getting that notch/punch hole off your screen.

I seriously don't get this.

I'd much prefer to have a tiny tear drop at the top of the screen for the selfie camera to facilitate face recognition 50+ times a day than a mechanical pop up screen which effectively does away with the option to have facial recognition.

What user experience is being enhanced by not having facial recognition?

• Advertisement

I seriously don't get this.

I'd much prefer to have a tiny tear drop at the top of the screen for the selfie camera to facilitate face recognition 50+ times a day than a mechanical pop up screen which effectively does away with the option to have facial recognition.

What user experience is being enhanced by not having facial recognition?

I think most people find facial recognition gimmicky and would just use the fingerprint scanner. I think most people would instead say, "why would you put a hole in your screen just to unlock your phone when that can be done in many other ways?"

Advertisement