Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Manion

Hey,

So the latest is that SISK was not issued an exemption from DCC for night work. One of our local councillors between they may be operating under a railway order, but such doesn't seem to cover the works.

I got the following update from SISK this morning.
    Although we are endeavoring to comply with the conditions of the original planning permission Iarnród Éireann have advised Dublin City Council that due to the nature of the works and for health and safety reasons it will be essential that some night-time working is undertaken, however, we are working to complete as much of the activities in normal working hours as possible.

John Sisk and Son, working on behalf of Iarnród Éireann have introduced measures to mitigate noise where possible. These measures have included
    • We have changed our working plant on the nightshift to a lighter machine where feasible,
    • We have removed all of the reversing beepers on our plant and replaced them with a less intrusive white noise beeper,
    • A toolbox talk has been carried out with all operatives working on the nightshift to inform them of the disruption caused to local residents and advise on measures to mitigate noise.

The changes have made a huge different. They can still complete their work without the undue impact to local residents. It goes to show the value of making an issue out of things. If anyone is interested, the following Councillors responded to my request for help and followed up with various agencies.
    • Cllr. Colm O’Rourke
    • Cllr. Darcy Lonergan
    • Cllr. Cieran Perry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Weirdly i thought last night was the worst its been !

Could be just more activity closer to our house though

Possibly. The warning beeping was very bad as was the heavy machinery. So removing those is definitely a positive. Did you lodge a complaint with DCC and the local councillors?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 1dav

Hi,

Our shower is dripping. The on/off valve needs to be replaced. Did anybody manage to source one of those.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Based on the recent facebook poll for the area in the residents forum, coffee shop/shared working space was the most popular demand for one of the unused units.

Does anyone think that bicycle sales/repair shop would be a runner? I'm exploring this option as we are to get a new station, and commuter footfall in the area seems quite high on bicycles with the canal..

1dav wrote: »
    Hi,

Our shower is dripping. The on/off valve needs to be replaced. Did anybody manage to source one of those.

Thanks

Yes I did, with the help of Ballymore and a lot of chasing up I was able to source a replacement from https://interiorsolutions.ie/. (They are the only supplier of these parts in Ireland, as they are Italian in origin. As such this is neither an endorsement nor a recommendations, merely a statement of fact, these are the suppliers).

I've yet to receive the replacement part however. Cost was 110 Euro including VAT. I will say, the act of removing the valve, and clearing the build up of grit stopped the drip for now. So while technically I don't need the valve I'm still buying it as it was very hard to source.
    CBear1993 wrote: »
    Based on the recent facebook poll for the area in the residents forum, coffee shop/shared working space was the most popular demand for one of the unused units.

Does anyone think that bicycle sales/repair shop would be a runner? I'm exploring this option as we are to get a new station, and commuter footfall in the area seems quite high on bicycles with the canal..

I'd love an artisan coffee shop. Dublin2Bikes is an example of were both are combined together, which I think is a great idea if you have the space. Tbh, there is a lot of vacant retail units (due to planning requirements) and it would be nice to see anything at all going into them.

Would love to see a bike repair (and sales) shop but would imagine your catchment area is quite small Both Blanchardstown and Cabra have established businesses on commuter routes to town so would be hard to poach customers from the likes of navan road , castleknock , Cabra etc , not sure there is enough in Ashtown to sustain one. if you had a good and cheap marketing strategy it might work.

Correct. I guess however when the royal canal greeway is completed from royal canal park into the docklands, the route along there will become much more attractive compared to the navan road, especially when the aforementioned bridge to ashington opens up. If you look at the 2016 census data you can see Ashington is a major spot for bicycle commuters but Royal canal park doesn't feature. Obviously the area is much more built up now but still there was a lot of apartments in the area back then, something like 6K people living there.

http://census.cso.ie/p6map21/

Covid19 has changed people's attitudes towards bike transport in the city and the real question is how transitory that change in behaviour is. I've always had the impression bike shops are a marginal business, it's hard to know what level of engagement you need to make a viable business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Manion wrote: »
    Obviously the area is much more built up now but still there was a lot of apartments in the area back then, something like 6K people living there.

http://census.cso.ie/p6map21/

That link is showing the cycle commuters by electoral division. Ashington is in Ashtown A which also includes Ashtown/Rathbourne/RCP. The big circle covers us too.

The Small Area stats downloadable here can give the full breakdown into Ashtown etc. but there’s a bit of work to it and I don’t have Excel to do it.

Someone mentioned the old bookies office in Ashtown before and I think a bike shop could work there. There are 10k people in the area many of them cyclists in one form or another. That’s a pretty decent catchment + the greenway on the doorstep. Bike shops are a very competitive tough business to get to work though. You’d want to know exactly what you’re at. Margins are razor thin.

• Advertisement

Shower valve arrived. They sent two of them which explains the cost. One longer than the other but otherwise the exact same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

There’s no boards thread for this is there within Dublin 15, I’m guessing this is essentially it?

Very refreshing anyway from the facebook group. It’s terrible, combined Rathborne/RCP and nothing but useless posts.

95% of posters wouldn’t cut it on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Carapop

Hi all

I am looking to get my foot on the property ladder!

I dont know this side of dublin at all but daft has a fab apartment here that seems suspiciously affordable and if Google maps is accurate i would be less than an hour to my baggot street office.

Can anyone advise on the area for a single girl?? is security a concern? As one who can't drive or cycle would I be very isolated? All advice welcome!

Hi,

In terms of transport, you'll be hard pushed to find some where in Dublin better served by public transport. You've a bus, luas and train service. In the near term they are building a bridge over the canal which will give access to ashington and from there all the bus routes that serve the Navan road. Phoenix park will be around a 1.5km walk away once the bridge opens.

I'm not sure if there is something specific about being a single female but the area is pretty safe. There is CCTV in public spaces and onsite security as part of a management fee (which you should ask about and factor into your sums).

• Registered Users Posts: 29 googlewhack

Hi,

We’ve been in our house for a few years and are having an issue with the hot water (Joule system). It has suddenly stopped heating the water, but no error message on the system. It just reads a low water temperature. Has anyone had a similar experience with this and found a resolution?

Carapop wrote: »
    Hi all

I dont know this side of dublin at all but daft has a fab apartment here that seems suspiciously affordable and if Google maps is accurate i would be less than an hour to my baggot street office.

Can anyone advise on the area for a single girl?? is security a concern? As one who can't drive or cycle would I be very isolated? All advice welcome!

Have lived here for 3.5 years, zero issues with security. For Dublin, transport is superb and getting better, school being built, Aldi in the development and Phoenix park is on our doorstep. I’ve always maintained it’s a great value location in Dublin for these reasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Carapop wrote: »
    Hi all

Would I be way off in thinking that it only takes about 30 mins to get from Ashtown to Pearse via Train/DART? With the new station being built right at RCP you will be in Baggot St. in much less than an hour. As it stands, the Luas isn't a million miles away either.

The brother and his OH have been in there about a year now (I'll have a little niece/nephew too in the next couple of weeks) and I've not heard one mention of security issues. He cycles to work in town afaik - well before all this he did. . . .

Hi,

We’ve been in our house for a few years and are having an issue with the hot water (Joule system). It has suddenly stopped heating the water, but no error message on the system. It just reads a low water temperature. Has anyone had a similar experience with this and found a resolution?

Short term stick it into emergency mode to get hot water , and then contact Smart Heating and they are pretty good at resolving problems .

Short term stick it into emergency mode to get hot water , and then contact Smart Heating and they are pretty good at resolving problems .

Reset the water pump and that did the job! :) Thank you for your response

FYI, another 4 weeks starting next week of late night works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Lads what's Meridian Court like for noise from neighbours? I went for viewing today but couldn't hear anybody next door though we were in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Lads what's Meridian Court like for noise from neighbours? I went for viewing today but couldn't hear anybody next door though we were in a hurry.

This thread was really intended for those buying houses in one of the most recent phases. So it's not likely to have many/any residents who lived in Meridian Court. Just fyi.

This thread was really intended for those buying houses in one of the most recent phases. So it's not likely to have many/any residents who lived in Meridian Court. Just fyi.

Cheers, was that earlier phase? Just looking for general feeling about area. Went up last night and wasn't so sure. Have heard from mate about mad neighbours with some machinery upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Cheers, was that earlier phase? Just looking for general feeling about area. Went up last night and wasn't so sure. Have heard from mate about mad neighbours with some machinery upstairs.

It was for the brick fronted houses.

Not sure what machinery might be, probably someone with a treadmill or bench press.

The apartments near the Canal seem nicer, but I've never been in Meridian building.

It was for the brick fronted houses.

Not sure what machinery might be, probably someone with a treadmill or bench press.

The apartments near the Canal seem nicer, but I've never been in Meridian building.

Thanks for the gen. I'll probably be taking it if he's not got someone else by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Elektroduende

Hi everbody,

We are considering putting some under stairs storage (Heron house) and we were wondering if people have any recommendations/photos and approx price they could PM? Also, we are looking for options to work around the fact that there are two switches on that wall for the downstairs toilet light/fan, etc., would be great to see what people did :)

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nordstrom

I saw virgin media installing cables on a street where Rathborne meets Royal Canal Park. I asked the work man and he said it’s coming to the area but he’s not sure when it will go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

I noticed a lot of houses have a 2nd front door lock about the handle - looks like Yale night latch. Was that something people requested when the house was being built or did you add it later?

Arbie wrote: »
    I noticed a lot of houses have a 2nd front door lock about the handle - looks like Yale night latch. Was that something people requested when the house was being built or did you add it later?

Added later. The standard setup makes it too easy for someone just to walk into your house. Also replace the key barrels, the ones you get are not shatter resistant and offer no protection.

We got a top lock and replacement barrels with thumb key lock on the inside. All locks use the same key so you don't have to carry around a set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Does anybody know if the houses have a 3-phase electric supply? Trying to figure out what type of charger I can install for an EV. Thanks.

Advertisement