Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread V - The Friend Zone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

macslash wrote: »
    CONNACHT EAGLES V MUNSTER A (SATURDAY 19TH OCTOBER 2020 @ THE SPORTSGROUND, K/O 2PM).
    15. John Porch
    14. Colm de Buitléar
    13. Sam Arnold
    12. Tom Daly
    11. Diarmuid Kilgannen
    10. Conor Dean
    9. Stephen Kerins

1. Jordan Duggan
    2. Jonny Murphy
    3. Conor Kenny
    4. Cian Prendergast
    5. Niall Murray
    6. Oisin McCormack
    7. Conor Oliver (C)
    8. Sean Masterson

Replacements
    16. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    17. Matthew Burke
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Darragh Murray
    20. Joshua Dunne
    21. Colm Reilly
    22. Cathal Forde
    23. Shane Jennings
    24. Oran McNulty
    25. Peter Sullivan

Strong team

Strong team yes but a very stupid one at that.. why not start Colm Reilly & Matthew Burke, 2 senior players that haven’t seen the pitch in months.. dtm hasn’t played a whole pile of minutes at hooker for the Eagles, risky playing porch would of liked to see mcnulty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Lucas44 wrote: »
    Strong team yes but a very stupid one at that.. why not start Colm Reilly & Matthew Burke, 2 senior players that haven’t seen the pitch in months.. dtm hasn’t played a whole pile of minutes at hooker for the Eagles, risky playing porch would of liked to see mcnulty

Yes good team,
    sign of confidence on Conor Oliver to be capped as Captain

absolutely no idea why

1) Porch is there when he's one of the best player for us as seen vs Ulster
    2) Papali'i is not there when is can't play in Pro12 (yeah pro12 for now), for 1 and a half months

Where are both SOBs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

connachta wrote: »
    Yes good team,
    sign of confidence on Conor Oliver to be capped as Captain

absolutely no idea why

1) Porch is there when he's one of the best player for us as seen vs Ulster
    2) Papali'i is not there when is can't play in Pro12 (yeah pro12 for now), for 1 and a half months

Where are both SOBs ?

Porch is great but needs all the minutes he can get in the 15 jersey.

Porch is great but needs all the minutes he can get in the 15 jersey.

Well that's a indirect harsh statement on TOH!

It's true that with Ben O'Donnell on a wing and S.Fitz/Healy/Wootton/Sullivan/DeBuitlear on the other, there won't be room for everyone

Still would go at first with TOH FB and both Aussies 7's on the wings.
    Better attacking exposition, less risk under high balls

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

The Friend Zone
    Connacht match will be streamed on the Connacht website now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mul, it's over
    Didn’t get to see A game, did anyone stand out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭JohnniDrama

From the bits I saw thought Kilgannon looked very good. Lovely try and something about him.

Dean decent with kicks from tee.

Niall Murray pick of the forwards. One huge break.

DTM added off the bench. And Aungier.

Some nice play but then easy turnover ball for Munster.

From the bits I saw thought Kilgannon looked very good. Lovely try and something about him.

Dean decent with kicks from tee.

Niall Murray pick of the forwards. One huge break.

DTM added off the bench. And Aungier.

Some nice play but then easy turnover ball for Munster.

Oliver (it's normal as he was the oldest in both packs), had a good game, and Daly too.

Not convinced yet by S.Masterson and Arnold
    And Reilly, even if Kerrins loves quick tap pens, was IMO more efficient to recycle the ball.
    Scrum was correct for the 4 props.

I guess Sullivan will start next week

Good news Racing, a true machine team, won away in Clermont
    If they beat Sarries (home) and I think they will, there is 50% chance we escape them next season
    They would be drawn Pot 1 if they win the competition, and we'll have Toulon or Lyon (both really beatable this season) instead!!!

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    Oliver (it's normal as he was the oldest in both packs), had a good game, and Daly too.

Not convinced yet by S.Masterson and Arnold
    And Reilly, even if Kerrins loves quick tap pens, was IMO more efficient to recycle the ball.
    Scrum was correct for the 4 props.

I guess Sullivan will start next week

Yes thought props went well.
    Burke minced Salamona in one scrum.
    Kenny good in scrum too. Few scrum penalties.
    Aungier and Duggan exciting too.

Bodes well.

Yes thought props went well.
    Burke minced Salamona in one scrum.
    Kenny good in scrum too. Few scrum penalties.
    Aungier and Duggan exciting too.

Bodes well.

The 8 props will be fine, which is not a little thing in a game, you saw how Leinster struggled because of them yestersday
    Oliver look very engaged to provide cover behind Butler
    Dean and Daly there too when Aki/Carty are with Ireland, SH too with Reilly 3rd choice IMO

Elsewhere...

Murphy looks ok now, but DTM doesn't seem ready to step in case of 1 injury before Delahunt comeback..

Murray, yeah all right, but still no sign of Gallagher, Dowling and SOB...

Papali'i has to fullill his inner qualities S.Masterson is not a solution in European level behind Boyle for n°8

And on the wing I'm still waiting for a real killer, hope BOD, the Aussie one, is this kind

Who we'll miss with Irish squad

1) Buckley and Butler (now IQ) are the very best players in our squad, but too much competition should let them unlucky.

2) Dillane, probably, Thornbury maybe. In this case Gallagher/Dowling/SOB have to step up

3) Blade or Marmion, probably not both which won't be bad in a Connacht POV

4) Carty, well probably, because of Burns not up to it and Carbery injured

5) Aki of course, with Daly value perceived if T.Farrell make it too (not likely but possible, in competion with McCloskey and the other Farrell for 4th choice)

6) Aussie Federation won't picked our 2 wings as good as they are I hope.

7) Heff, probably in the mix. My main concern in depth there

8) Bealham, probably too, I suspect Aungier came because he felt he could push for starts as soon as this season when Finlay is elswhere. Good to have quality emulation for McCoy/Kenny

Just finishing the Eagles game, seems like in most of these games pretty much everyone on the pitch has a 6/10 performance with no huge standouts. Always find it funny that you can have everyone from Ireland internationals to teenagers playing and no-one looks majorly out of place, for good or bad. Niall Murray was the exception to the rule for me, but I might be biased because I think he's fantastic. Conor Oliver was good too.

Just finishing the Eagles game, seems like in most of these games pretty much everyone on the pitch has a 6/10 performance with no huge standouts. Always find it funny that you can have everyone from Ireland internationals to teenagers playing and no-one looks majorly out of place, for good or bad. Niall Murray was the exception to the rule for me, but I might be biased because I think he's fantastic. Conor Oliver was good too.

That’s fair. 👍

I think it is good to be excited about a home grown Murray. He is a fine athlete and let’s not forget, kept the hyped up (and rightly so) Ryan Baird out of a competitive U-20 second row.

If he can develop a bit of bite, he could do very well indeed.

That’s fair. 👍

I think it is good to be excited about a home grown Murray. He is a fine athlete and let’s not forget, kept the hyped up (and rightly so) Ryan Baird out of a competitive U-20 second row.

If he can develop a bit of bite, he could do very well indeed.

The bold part isn't accurate though, Baird was just back from injury so started the first few 6N games from the bench, but was firmly first choice by the JRWC. IIRC Murray played 6 in the warmups when both were fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

https://www.the42.ie/jordan-conroy-sevens-dream-team-5211496-Sep2020/#respond

i do love the way we complain about a lack of natural speed or whatnot yet our weakest province can jettison lads like this.

Who's surprised though. McCabe for a try, Niyi looking ok, O'Donnell doing well, Godwin back in the Aussie squad.

Shocking recruitment/retention by Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭b.gud

No need to do it folks

tbt.gif[

Bait? no, truth. I say this as somewhat of a Connacht fan.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    https://www.the42.ie/jordan-conroy-sevens-dream-team-5211496-Sep2020/#respond

i do love the way we complain about a lack of natural speed or whatnot yet our weakest province can jettison lads like this.

Who's surprised though. McCabe for a try, Niyi looking ok, O'Donnell doing well, Godwin back in the Aussie squad.

Shocking recruitment/retention by Connacht.

Ok about Conroy (but can he tackle?)
    Not about McCabe (pulverised at scrumtime 10 days ago) or Niyi (not at pace it seemed)

I think we made the right choices, with Sullivan/Deegan/Wootton pushing hard on the next years

Let's see if Arnold can upgrade to Godwin's level, indeed

• Advertisement

Yeah look apparently according to ITK's here Conroy turned down a contract. I do know Irish coaches were surprised he's not involved and it does grind my gears how we can sometimes mis manage talent here despite what we think is the greatest system in the world© . Adam Byrne is another that springs to mind.

I just know we don't have the player pool/depth to not get it right or lose talents to sevens. At least Leinster got Keenan back invovled. I would be of the opinion its time Connacht at least tried it out even as a squad member. Crap defence isn't hindering Jacob Stockdale.

I jusst don't get why Connacht feel the need to ignore Irish sevens players while signing Aussie one's. I make no apologies, it makes zero sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭KBurke85

The Friend Zone
    Yeah look apparently according to ITK's here Conroy turned down a contract. I do know Irish coaches were surprised he's not involved and it does grind my gears how we can sometimes mis manage talent here despite what we think is the greatest system in the world© . Adam Byrne is another that springs to mind.

I just know we don't have the player pool/depth to not get it right or lose talents to sevens. At least Leinster got Keenan back invovled. I would be of the opinion its time Connacht at least tried it out even as a squad member. Crap defence isn't hindering Jacob Stockdale.

I jusst don't get why Connacht feel the need to ignore Irish sevens players while signing Aussie one's. I make no apologies, it makes zero sense to me.

In fairness Conroy is becoming quite the star on the Sevens circuit why exactly would he want to give that up to be at best a squad member?
    2 sides to every story and every career

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Is this a deja vu? Did you not have this exact same argument here a while back, maybe Conroy doesn’t want to play for Connacht for whatever reason of his own.
    Adam Byrne has not been able to nail down a place in Leinster despite been given plenty of game time, not sure why your bringing him up in the Connacht thread at all.
    The Irish coach thing is a nothing, they aren’t working with him day to day.

The bold part isn't accurate though, Baird was just back from injury so started the first few 6N games from the bench, but was firmly first choice by the JRWC. IIRC Murray played 6 in the warmups when both were fit.

I didn’t know all of that, so will bow to your greater wisdom.

At least he is in good company then shall we say?

Regarding Conroy.

What I had heard, albeit some years ago now was he was not rated for 15’s. (Defence)

But that was before he really exploded on the 7’s scene.

So it may be possible they tried again and he said no to them.

Either way, I don’t see it ever happening, esp with Porch and Ben O’Donnell.

I am sure Connacht looked at the Irish 7s program, but for whatever reasons, had to go abroad.

I can imagine those established in 7s love the travel, relaxed nature of it compared to 15’s?

salmocab wrote: »
    Is this a deja vu? Did you not have this exact same argument here a while back, maybe Conroy doesn’t want to play for Connacht for whatever reason of his own.
    Adam Byrne has not been able to nail down a place in Leinster despite been given plenty of game time, not sure why your bringing him up in the Connacht thread at all.
    The Irish coach thing is a nothing, they aren’t working with him day to day.

He was named in the 7's World team of the year. So yeah i think in light of alot of ex Connacht men doing well its apt to return to the idea. But i get it you think otherwise. I'm not trying to convince you. And you'll never convince me that signing Porch and O'Donnell is better. Never.

The 7s lads are apparently on **** all money. Most of them dreamt to be 15's players and if we had more options many of them would have had a crack. I don't think its in any way good that Connacht go outside the sytem recruiting sevens players. Look at Hugo Keenan. TBH its mind boggling and a bit of a joke.

And yeah the coach thing isn't a nothing. He's one of the guys charged with bettering Irish rugby. To paraphrase it basically.."i can't believe his pace and footwork, why the hell isn't he involved anywhere?" if you think thats nothing fair enough.

Connacht aren't good enough to be ignoring what are now World Class players even if its in a different code. But yeah hopefully he told them to go do one. I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere at some stage. Probably not here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He was named in the 7's World team of the year. So yeah i think in light of alot of ex Connacht men doing well its apt to return to the idea. But i get it you think otherwise. I'm not trying to convince you. And you'll never convince me that signing Porch and O'Donnell is better. Never.

The 7s lads are apprently on **** all money. Most of them dreamt to be 15's players and if we had more options many of them would have had a crack. I don't think its in any way good that Connacht go outside the sytem recruiting sevens players. Look at Hugo Keenan. TBH its mind boggling and a bit of a joke.

And yeah the coach thing isn't a nothing. He's one of the guys charged with bettering Irish rugby. To paraphrase it basically.."i can't believe his pace and footwork, why the hell isn't he involved anywhere?" if you think thats nothing fair enough.

Connacht aren't good enough to be ignoring what are now World Class players even if its in a different code. But yeah hopefully he told them to go do one. I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere at some stage. Probably not here though.

But if Conroy turned down a contract as has been said here what do you think Connacht could do about it? He’s not owned by the irfu. If they did offer him a contract then they didn’t ignore him.

salmocab wrote: »
    But if Conroy turned down a contract as has been said here what do you think Connacht could do about it? He’s not owned by the irfu. If they did offer him a contract then they didn’t ignore him.

Yeah lets hope thats true. would make far more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Niallof9 wrote:
    Yeah lets hope thats true. would make far more sense.

Seriously though, have you forgotten about having this conversation, in the place, with the same people, a couple of months ago?

• Advertisement

Seriously though, have you forgotten about having this conversation, in the place, with the same people, a couple of months ago?

no i haven't. its just he was selected on the World Sevens team. i thought it was another point proven.

anyway it is what it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement