Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting Again

• 31-12-2019 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭ Kenna Alive Dollhouse

Hi all, I'm sure ye are all sick of threads like this but I'm determined to stop smoking (again) tomorrow and think keeping a diary of my progress will help. I've previously quit and was off them for 5 years but started seeing a girl who smoked about a year ago and slowly but surely I ended up back smoking. I'm sick of it tbh. I have about 10 cigarettes which I'll smoke tonight and then that's it for me. I've had it, I'm definitely quitting again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

Best of luck!

Remember that your GP, pharmacist, and the HSE Quit services will be there to help you in any way you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭ Kenna Alive Dollhouse

Sad to say day 1 was a disaster and I'm still smoking. Been under a lot of stress recently and had a bad Christmas so my willpower cracked around 5. I can feel every cigarette I smoke in my chest, it's madness smoking. Going to try again Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sad to say day 1 was a disaster and I'm still smoking. Been under a lot of stress recently and had a bad Christmas so my willpower cracked around 5. I can feel every cigarette I smoke in my chest, it's madness smoking. Going to try again Friday.

Don't feel bad. IMO Jan the 1st is a terrible time to quit especially with having to go back to normal after Xmas. Set a date in a week or two and try to cut down slightly to the deadline you set yourself. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭ Kenna Alive Dollhouse

Day 1 over. Wasn't that bad. Have other things on my mind apart from smoking so that probably helped.

• Day 1 over. Wasn't that bad. Have other things on my mind apart from smoking so that probably helped.

I know I sound like an Advertisement for Allen Carr, but I had tried stopping on multiple occasions, and always found it a horrible experience.
    Then, almost 12 months ago exactly, I went to one of the Allen Carr seminars (had tried reading the book, but couldn't finish it) in Dublin, and had my last cigarette.

The process of stopping was not simple, but it was so much easier than all other attempts that I had made. 3 or 4 days of a little hardship, and then a month or so, of being cautious about drinking, or putting myself in environments that might trigger an urge.

Now, a year later, I've been on stags, to weddings, on nights out, in stressful situations, and never once had a cigarette, or really wanted one (bar once at a wedding when I was about 4 weeks free of smoking)
    I'll be honest, very rarely, will I get this feeling, where I wonder, what it would be like to hold a cigarette again. It's never a craving, just curiosity, and it passes very quickly, and simply.

I also have many friends who smoke. Some of them have fantastic will power, and can stop smoking, and go weeks/months without smoking, but nearly all of them are back smoking within a couple of monhts

I suppose what I'm getting to, is that my only advice to anyone who wants to stop smoking permanently, and who has struggled, I would recommend trying an Allen Carr class.

It's €300 I think, but I also found a discount on Groupon last year. It's totally worth it though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement