Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Government and Huawei

• 30-01-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,914 ✭✭✭✭

Just heard on the radio the iPhone sales are down 15% , where as Huawei have seen steady growth year on year , eating into Apples profit. Am I a bit cynical in thinking this would be the main reason behind the US Governments dislike of all things Huawei ?

link here to last 8 years of Huawei sales

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

iphones are now selling for over 1000 euro, everyone in the world that wants one has a smartphones .
    Phones now last for 2-3 years .
    You can buy very good phones in china for 200 euros .
    The drop in sales is nothing to do with huawei, theres a trade war going on ,between the usa and china
    many chinese people are patriotic , So it may be seen as not good
    to buy an iphone and the chinese economy is going into recession.
    The us governments is suspicious of many chinese companys as many companys are under government control.
    ie it has been shown that some chinese electronic products have apps, or malware installed that could be use to spy on users or send data back to servers in china .
    https://www.computerworlduk.com/security/when-in-china-dont-leave-your-laptop-alone-or-spyware-will-be-installed-3415277/

it professionals are advised to reset all phones before going to china ,
    and use high levels of encryption and devices like chromebooks when travelling to china .
    Theres very few companys in china that are not controlled or under
    the influence of the chinese government to some extent.

i see no reason to buy an iphone , a good android phone does everything an iphone does, unless you want to show off,
    or use certain apple apps .A iphone is now status symbol like a bmw car ,its now a luxury item.
    We are now in the stage where a smartphone is a commidity item, like a laptop .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

2smiggy wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio the iPhone sales are down 15% , where as Huawei have seen steady growth year on year , eating into Apples profit. Am I a bit cynical in thinking this would be the main reason behind the US Governments dislike of all things Huawei ?

Yes... As much as riclad comments are correct, the real issue is that they are effecting US profitability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Bluefoam wrote: »
    2smiggy wrote: »

Yes... As much as riclad comments are correct, the real issue is that they are effecting US profitability.
    *Perceived to be effecting US profitability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

In this case I'm with riclad lot more to it than Apple profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's more likely to do it with amount of state sponsored industrial espionage going on with Chinese companies ,
    Huawei and Lenovo and several others are very well involved ,
    At one point Huawei were offering American military personnel free flagship phones , knowing they would have access to military information and locations ,
    But show me a modern smart device that isn't tracking everything and listening under the guise of making us a better product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This has nothing to do with phone sales. Drop in the ocean. All the papers are showing pictures of phones but thats misleading.

This is about VDSL/GPON MSANs and BBU/RRUs. Telco gear. For state security its a MUCH bigger issue than handsets which area easily swapped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Got so pissed at the Huarewe because of the damage they are creating and the all national security threats … hard was looking for evidence so I went in the local phone shop and got three phones for my family to study them inside out …
    The Mate 20 Pro takes beautiful pictures at night so I will keep doing that hoping to spot those threats on the sky...

Read more H E R E

• Registered Users Posts: 18,869 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

ED E wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with phone sales. Drop in the ocean. All the papers are showing pictures of phones but thats misleading.

This is about VDSL/GPON MSANs and BBU/RRUs. Telco gear. For state security its a MUCH bigger issue than handsets which area easily swapped.

It's also a handy way to remove foreign competition from bidding on infrastructure by claiming its to protect secrets.

Its hardly as if the USA, UK, France Oz, NZ etc don't spy on other countries technology and secrets or their companies never do corporate espionage. Maybe the real issue is that they can't hack the Chinese tech so are pushing for tech from their own country where they have more influence.

this is all about the network side where Huawei makes most of its profits

the us don't want chinese networks powering their cellular grids for fears of backdoors.

Huawei has never been allowed to sell network equipment in the US. This is not a new trade war thing.

it's not completely without basis given what has happened with other Chinese IT busines-to-business products

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

I wouldn't let this have any influence on buying one of their handsets - has nothing to do with handsets.

Advertisement