Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This conversation about Dutch land reclamation couldn't have been times better.

I'm at a Center Parc near Almere for the weekend. I see now this land didn't exist in 1900. When I was driving in I drove along the top of a dyke and the land on my left was clearly lower than the sea to my right. It's bizarre looking.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lol. In Western Australia, the south west corner used to be heavily forested, with some absolutely gobsmacking 100m high Kari trees. In order to hide from the public the environmental vandalism the government was party too, they had the forestry companies leave a tiny 100m wide reserve of un-felled trees next to all major roads in the area, so when people on holiday drove around the area, it gave the impression of magnificent and epic forests, when in reality, many hundreds, or thousands, of square kilometres of irreplaceable old growth trees had been clear felled to the last twig - in behind the fig-leaf road reserves.

Your little patches of remaining wetlands in the Netherlands, reminds me of that.

Kari trees are as tall as Redwoods?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a belief that until they were chopped down, a species of eucalyptus was the tallest tree in the world.

there's a belief that until they were chopped down, a species of eucalyptus was the tallest tree in the world.

Imagine how clear your sinuses would be in that forest.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Brian? wrote: »
    Imagine how clear your sinuses would be in that forest.
    I have stuck my nose in a jar of pure menthol.
    Hint : when smelling chemicals you are supposed to use your hand to waft some of air in the general direction of your nose.

I know exactly how clear my sinuses would be :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The UDA's 1994 Doomsday plan to repartition Northern Ireland and leave an ethnically protestant 'homeland'.

o2ni92i0e6b41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

retalivity wrote: »
    The UDA's 1994 Doomsday plan to repartition Northern Ireland and leave an ethnically protestant 'homeland'.

o2ni92i0e6b41.jpg

Am I the only one who would find it less than credible that the UDA would colour their protestant paradise green?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or that the corridor between cookstown and dungannon, to lough neagh, made any sense at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Apparently it was a thing amongst the more headbanger element and got some coverage in the papers at the time. The colours were probably added later by an idiot.

My favourite part of the story;

Sammy Wilson, then press officer for the Democratic Unionist Party and later the MP for East Antrim, spoke positively of the document, calling it a "valuable return to reality" and lauded the UDA for "contemplating what needs to be done to maintain our separate Ulster identity"

Am I the only one who would find it less than credible that the UDA would colour their protestant paradise green?

Its a reddit reproduction of the original

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The original is reproduced here, with analysis of the plan.

http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/2009/06/partition-and-repartition-part-4-udas.html?m=1

In light of Sammy Wilson’s approval of it mentioned above, it’s worth highlighting this bit:

“The UDA's intentions for the Catholic population left in their new, truncated, Northern Ireland were sinister. The Catholic population left on the 'Protestant' side of the Orange Line was to be "expelled, nullified or interned". 'Nullification' was a euphemism for massacre. Those 'interned' were to be used, effectively, as hostages or 'useful bargaining chips' in possible negotiations.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Expect a lot weirder than that ,as hardline unionism tries to cling to some sort of majority somewhere ... While trying to claim as much "territory" as possible ,
    Doesn't matter what they said the rules were yesterday - they've changed today ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The original is reproduced here, with analysis of the plan.

http://ulstersdoomed.blogspot.com/2009/06/partition-and-repartition-part-4-udas.html?m=1

In light of Sammy Wilson’s approval of it mentioned above, it’s worth highlighting this bit:

“The UDA's intentions for the Catholic population left in their new, truncated, Northern Ireland were sinister. The Catholic population left on the 'Protestant' side of the Orange Line was to be "expelled, nullified or interned". 'Nullification' was a euphemism for massacre. Those 'interned' were to be used, effectively, as hostages or 'useful bargaining chips' in possible negotiations.”

And the Croppies would have lain down while their brethern were ethnically cleansed. As they always did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Apparently it was a thing amongst the more headbanger element and got some coverage in the papers at the time. The colours were probably added later by an idiot.

My favourite part of the story;

Sammy Wilson, then press officer for the Democratic Unionist Party and later the MP for East Antrim, spoke positively of the document, calling it a "valuable return to reality" and lauded the UDA for "contemplating what needs to be done to maintain our separate Ulster identity"

As someone from the three counties, I’d say my idea of Ulster identity is different than Sammy’s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

God made the Netherlands, but the Dutch made Holland.
    My old teacher at school used to say

If the dutch lived in Ireland, they would feed the world
    If the the Irish lived in the Netherlands, they would drown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

My old teacher at school used to say

If the dutch lived in Ireland, they would feed the world
    If the the Irish lived in the Netherlands, they would drown.
    Inspirational teaching there,
    making young ones proud of their heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Map of Co. Roscommon in the 1830s when the town of Ballaghaderreen was part of Co Mayo
    RoscommonLewis-1837.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Ballaghaderreen seems to be outside the dotted line and in the white space labelled 'Mayo Sligo', no?

This thread is excellent by the way.

Ballaghaderreen seems to be outside the dotted line and in the white space labelled 'Mayo Sligo', no?

This thread is excellent by the way.

Now read the comment :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_118281408_2ulstercanal054.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-56932303
    The Irish government has announced funds to reopen the canal between Clones and Clonfad, County Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Map of Co. Roscommon in the 1830s when the town of Ballaghaderreen was part of Co Mayo
    Still is, You know;
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9007682,-8.5819824,3a,90y,214.72h,88.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s4AFH69Yzvd-89z3X1S8L9Q!2e0!5s20110901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That Ulster Canal announcement means you can travel via boat via the Ulster canal to the Shannon Erne Waterway, down the Shannon to the Royal or Grand Canals to Dublin or down the Barrow via the Grand Canal.
    Excellent for tourism

Inspirational teaching there,
    making young ones proud of their heritage.

I'd consider it good development of critical thinking skills.

That Ulster Canal announcement means you can travel via boat via the Ulster canal to the Shannon Erne Waterway, down the Shannon to the Royal or Grand Canals to Dublin or down the Barrow via the Grand Canal.
    Excellent for tourism

maybe we could stage an alternative cross-border Ras on these yokes?

cyclingonwater-768x432.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Brian? wrote: »
    Bizarrely the Dutch people I know refer to he whole Netherlands as Holland.

I live in North Brabant

Sorry but in my experience nearly all Dutch people when speaking in Dutch would refer to the country as "Nederland" and not "Holland".
    Some may say Holland when speaking English is it's just less of a mouthful than "The Netherlands".

Excellent for tourism

You already can travel from beleek on the donegal border, to limerick or the barrow - the clones bit is just a spur of the old ulster canal.
    If they reinstated the whole canal, you would be able to travel as far north as coleraine via inland waterways

IMG_0759%2B%2BIreland%2527s%2BWaterways.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

A very divided town! Seems to be anyone who plays or played GAA football from the town supports Mayo GAA as Ballaghaderreen GAA play in the Mayo league. I think it was over rates in the late 1800s the reason why the country boundaries changed. Part of Ballina today was in Co Sligo too, not sure why the boundaries changed there . It probably happened in other places around the country too with boundaries changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

RoscommonLewis-1837.jpg

Also half of the towns of Athlone and Ballinasloe are in Co. Roscommon in that map.

They changed county boundaries when urban district councils were established in the 1890s and parts of towns were transferred to the county of the bigger part of the town.

Similar thing happened with parts of Drogheda previously in Meath and are other examples around Ireland too.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry but in my experience nearly all Dutch people when speaking in Dutch would refer to the country as "Nederland" and not "Holland".
    Some may say Holland when speaking English is it's just less of a mouthful than "The Netherlands".

All of the Dutch people I know say Holland when speaking English, that was my point. I don't have conversations in Dutch.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    You already can travel from beleek on the donegal border, to limerick or the barrow - the clones bit is just a spur of the old ulster canal.
    If they reinstated the whole canal, you would be able to travel as far north as coleraine via inland waterways

IMG_0759%2B%2BIreland%2527s%2BWaterways.JPG

Can you navigate the Royal canal in to the Royal Canal basin? I thought some parts around Cabra were filled in.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement