Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-01-2005, 09:12   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks

Gah. A total avoidance of the question. Which is a rather worrying thing to see, because if there were no plans to eliminate air and smallbore pistols, the Minister could have gotten some cheap PR right there by answering the question directly. Which means that the ISSF shooters, the Irish Pony Club tetrathlon shooters, the silhouette pistol shooters, and pretty much all the plinkers are back to wondering what's going to happen
Shouldn't that read "plonkers"?
Advertisement
31-01-2005, 09:23   #32
Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouda
Shouldn't that read "plonkers"?
Bastard. It's going to take an hour to clean the coffee out of my keyboard now...
31-01-2005, 17:54   #33
Sparks

More answers up...

Quote:
796. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Information Zoom the number of prosecutions in recent years under the firearms legislation for not having a licence or other breaches of legislation. [2055/05]

797. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Information Zoom the average age profile of licensed firearms holders here. [2056/05]

798. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Information Zoom the number of cases of stolen firearms in 2002, 2003 and 2004; the type or category of firearm that was stolen in each case; and the location from which the firearm in each case was stolen. [2057/05]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 796 to 798, inclusive, together.

The number of prosecutions for possession of a firearm, which includes possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition which is not authorised by a firearm certificate, and the discharge of a firearm are outlined in the following table. Firearms Offences where Proceedings Commenced
Year Possession of firearms Discharge of a firearm
2001 123 20
2002 187 37
2003 148 41
2004* 179 38

* figures for 2004 are provisional/operational and liable to change

The Garda authorities inform me that the average age of a licensed firearm holder is 49 years.

A breakdown of the number of firearms stolen by type or category and by location is not readily available. However, I am informed by the Garda authorities that they are compiling the figures and they will be forwarded to the Deputy as soon as they are available.
That average age bit is rather telling - we need more young people in the sport!

Last edited by Sparks; 31-01-2005 at 23:19.
17-02-2005, 18:24   #34
Sparks

Interesting PQ put forward today:

Quote:
*129. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the position in relation to the surrender of firearms in 1972 from a person (details supplied) in Dublin 18; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Billy Timmins. [5374/05]
I'll post the answer as soon as it comes up on the website.
18-02-2005, 21:43   #35
Sparks

Well, that was... odd...

Quote:
129. Mr. Timmins asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the position in relation to the surrender of firearms in 1972 from a person (details supplied) in Dublin 18; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [5374/05]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I wish to inform the Deputy that the licensing of firearms is a matter for the local Garda district officer and I have no statutory function in the matter. I am informed by the Garda authorities that the weapon in question is stored at Garda Headquarters and that there is no record of any application being received from the person for the return of the firearm.
Advertisement
19-02-2005, 01:38   #36

Anyone know if there's any way of finding out if there's anything in Dublin Castle (or wherever it is they have all the confiscated guns) that might have been the property of one's long since deceased relatives?
There's got to be a load of firearms in there whose owners are long gone, and it'd be a pity for them to languish there in perpetuity if there was any chance of getting them passed on through the family.

There might be a job for the Minister- get the Guards to contact the last registered owners (or their descendants) of all the stuff they have in storage!

19-02-2005, 13:31   #37
Banned

Two chances I would say on that Rovi!
Excuse would be garda time used up,etc etc.
Also i would question are ALL the weapons handed in in 1972 still there??
Have heard the archtypal tale of intresting pieces being misappropiated by ,shall we say less than honest security personel for their own personel collections or "planting" activity.
Might be a cause for a large amount of red facedness,butt covering,and stonewalling of the tax payer,not to mind enquiries,personal political histories being quickly rewritten etc.

It sure would be intresting to be a fly on the wall to see what would happen if everyone showed enmasse with grandads old reclaim ticket at Garda HQ wanting their family heirlooms back
10-03-2005, 16:57   #38
Sparks

An interesting (if not solely linked to us) PQ today:
Quote:
*163. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if, in view of the commitments made in Regulating Better, he will publish the heads or draft amendments which he proposes to make to the Criminal Justice Bill 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Jim O’Keeffe. [8483/05]
12-03-2005, 12:50   #39
Sparks

Quote:
163. Mr. J. O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Information Zoom if, in view of the commitments made in “Regulating Better”, he will publish the heads or draft amendments which he proposes to make to the Criminal Justice Bill 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [8483/05]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I made the general scheme of the Bill available to the Human Rights Commission and to the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Womens’ Rights to encourage a broad debate on the proposals to be contained in the Criminal Justice Bill, prior to its publication. It is my intention to take the same approach to the proposed heads providing for amendments to the Bill as soon as I have obtained Government approval for the drafting of the amendments.
Bit of a non-answer really
Advertisement
14-04-2005, 04:44   #40
Sparks

A question from April 12th which definitely isn't about us, but who's answer may wind up affecting us, as usual

Quote:
116. Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if his attention has been drawn to the alarming growth in gun crime; his views on the need to take immediate legislative or other steps to ensure stiffer prison sentences for those found in possession of, or proven to have used firearms in the pursuit of crime; if his attention has further been drawn to the significance of the increased use of sawn-off shotguns and automatic assault weapons; his plans to address this increasingly serious threat to the lives and property of the citizens of the State; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10818/05]

776. Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of gun crime incidents so far recorded in the past six months; if the type and nature of the weapons used is of particular significance; the action he plans to take to address this most serious issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11224/05]

777. Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take to address the increasingly serious situation regarding the use of guns for criminal purposes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [11225/05]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Mr. McDowell): I propose to take Questions Nos. 116, 776 and 777 together.

While the number of cases of possession of firearms has decreased, it is a matter of concern to note a further increase in cases of discharge of firearms. I am conscious of the recent increase in violent crime involving firearms and the particular overriding necessity to ensure that public safety and security are given priority in any review of policy and legislation in respect of firearms. With this in mind, I have decided to bring forward at an early stage certain proposals for inclusion in the Criminal Justice Bill 2004. The Bill as published contains one of those proposals, namely, to provide for the secure custody of firearms. Other provisions will be brought forward in the form of amendments to the Bill on Committee Stage. The Bill is currently on Second Stage in the Dáil. These amendments will deal with better controls on the type of firearms which may be certified. They will further specify certain additional requirements which will have to be met by applicants for certificates and allow for the imposition of conditions on the granting of a certificate. They will include a provision allowing the deeming by order of firearms which may not be certified. I am considering increasing the sentences for the more serious range of such offences, including the possibility of mandatory minimum sentences in some cases, as well as new offences of illegally modifying a firearm, for example, sawing off a shotgun, and the imposition of severe penalties for this offence.

I am satisfied that the necessary resources are being directed towards the containment and detection of such serious criminal activity. Investigations are undertaken by divisional and district garda officers at local level. All the necessary national support services are available to supplement these investigations, such as the Garda national bureau of criminal investigation.

The following table gives figures for the number of headline offences recorded and detected. With regard to the weapons involved, 40% are recorded as shotguns and 37% as pistols.

Headline Offences Recorded and Detected with a Firearm Involved 2004/2005*
October Recorded: 49 Detected: 16
November Recorded: 46 Detected: 16
December Recorded: 59 Detected: 12
January Recorded: 53 Detected: 33
February Recorded: 39 Detected: 7
March Recorded: 47 Detected: 13

* Statistics provided are provisional, operational and liable to change
(The table form has been altered so it could be posted here, but the content is the same).
14-04-2005, 08:46   #41
civdef

Quote:
These amendments will deal with better controls on the type of firearms which may be certified. They will further specify certain additional requirements which will have to be met by applicants for certificates and allow for the imposition of conditions on the granting of a certificate.
Is this the first confirmation we've had on the nature of these amendments?
14-04-2005, 13:49   #42
Sparks

Well, the first in public anyway civ. I've heard that the DoJ's said in meetings with shooting groups that they're happy enough with fullbore rifles, smallbore rifles/pistols and air rifles/pistols, but that fullbore pistols will be licenced through the Minister rather than through the local Garda. It's vague language though - for example, the law already allows for the imposition of conditions on certificates, so long as it's the local Superintendent who's doing the imposing and it's an individual condition, not a blanket one. So what exactly he meant by saying it isn't very clear.
14-04-2005, 15:52   #43
civdef

Quote:
For example, the law already allows for the imposition of conditions on certificates
Nope, it doesn't really -there is very little / no scope for applying conditions on a cert once it's granted - eg where the firearm is to be used etc.
14-04-2005, 21:54   #44
Dvs

Hello All,
Is it just me or does it seem that the Minister is missing the point!
(quote)
Mr. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if his attention has been drawn to the alarming growth in gun crime; his views on the need to take immediate legislative or other steps to ensure stiffer prison sentences for those found in possession of, or proven to have used firearms in the pursuit of crime;
(/quote)

And the Minsters response,

(quote)
The Bill is currently on Second Stage in the Dáil. These amendments will deal with better controls on the type of firearms which may be certified. They will further specify certain additional requirements which will have to be met by applicants for certificates and allow for the imposition of conditions on the granting of a certificate. They will include a provision allowing the deeming by order of firearms which may not be certified. I am considering increasing the sentences for the more serious range of such offences, including the possibility of mandatory minimum sentences in some cases, as well as new offences of illegally modifying a firearm, for example, sawing off a shotgun, and the imposition of severe penalties for this offence.
(/quote)

Perhaps the Minister could publish the number of Firearms applications that have been submitted by criminals involved in gun crime !

If as i suspect the number is zero,
then perhaps the efforts of the Minister would be better directed to controlling pursuing and convicting the said criminals,
instead of imposing further conditions on law abiding people who are involved in shooting sports and respect law and order.

Dvs.

Last edited by Dvs; 14-04-2005 at 21:58.
14-04-2005, 21:55   #45
Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by civdef
Nope, it doesn't really -there is very little / no scope for applying conditions on a cert once it's granted - eg where the firearm is to be used etc.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear there civ - I was talking about the garda putting individual conditions on an applicant before the cert is granted.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion