Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tenant leaving 15 days after paying month rent

Options
  • 25-06-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

Tenant been in a house share for over two years with others including a relative of the landlady.

She left a full months rent for the landlady in the kitchen before heading off for the weekend. However, she will be only there for 15 days of the month.

Should she have only paid half month rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It depends on what she agreed with the landlady.

Usually, you pay for a full month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

YFlyer wrote: »
    Tenant been in a house share for over two years with others including a relative of the landlady.

She left a full months rent for the landlady in the kitchen before heading off for the weekend. However, she will be only there for 15 days of the month.

She is right to pay the month

Going on holiday doesn't preclude you from paying rent - I'm assuming her stuff is still there and she's going back in after the holiday? In that case she pays the full month

Edit: apologies, I misread that completely, as the poster above said - if she's happy to pay for the month then there's no issue, she could have a case for paying half but it's between them I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

antix80 wrote: »
    It depends on what she agreed with the landlady.

Usually, you pay for a full month.

Thanks.

I'll have to ensure when I move out it be close to completing a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

She is right to pay the month

Going on holiday doesn't preclude you from paying rent - I'm assuming her stuff is still there and she's going back in after the holiday? In that case she pays the full month

Edit: apologies, I misread that completely, as the poster above said - if she's happy to pay for the month then there's no issue, she could have a case for paying half but it's between them I guess

Oh sorry. She is moving out of the house on July 4th. She moved in to the house on August 20th 2016, so her month begins on the 20th.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Oh sorry. She is moving out of the house on July 4th. She moved in to the house on August 20th 2016, so her month begins on the 20th.

In which case- while technically she owes a month's rent- it would be a nice gesture on the part of the landlord/landlady to refund the 2 weeks that she is not there (providing of course she is fully moving out and has not left any belongings behind for collecting at a later date etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

it would be a nice gesture on the part of the landlord/landlady to refund the 2 weeks that she is not there

Not really. The tennants holiday arrangements have nothing to do with the landlady so she shouldnt lose money over it.

pauliebdub wrote: »

Not really. The tennants holiday arrangements have nothing to do with the landlady so she shouldnt lose money over it.

No- however, if she is moving out in full, has given reasonable notice- and the landlord doesn't have any difficulty in finding a suitable replacement- they landlord is hardly out of pocket. I was arguing devil's advocate here- the landlord does not have to do it- I simply stated it would be a nice gesture if they did (cognisant of the fact that it wouldn't put them out of pocket).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

You dont expect to be refunded your car hire for the days you rent the car but go to the beach instead. She has rented the room, she chooses to be elsewhere, she is still holding down the use of the room. Yes she is obliged to pay for the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How much notice did she give ? What does her lease say ?

You dont expect to be refunded your car hire for the days you rent the car but go to the beach instead. She has rented the room, she chooses to be elsewhere, she is still holding down the use of the room. Yes she is obliged to pay for the room.

I rented a car from Sixt for 3 weeks this year- but had to return to Ireland because of a medical emergency. I returned the car to them- they refunded 90% of the week that I wasn't going to use it for- and I believe it was in the hands of a new driver before my flight ever left the airport. I didn't *expect* a refund- I asked anyway- nothing ventured, nothing gained- they gave me a reasonable rebate on the days early I returned the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I rented a car from Sixt for 3 weeks this year- but had to return to Ireland because of a medical emergency. I returned the car to them- they refunded 90% of the week that I wasn't going to use it for- and I believe it was in the hands of a new driver before my flight ever left the airport. I didn't *expect* a refund- I asked anyway- nothing ventured, nothing gained- they gave me a reasonable rebate on the days early I returned the car.

You signed a contract, broke it for medical reasons,returned the goods & they gave you a refund. You were lucky. You didnt sit on the car for the 3 weeks and then want a refund. Medical emergency aside (& I hope it is resolved now) a house share in a room that you are holding down is not a fmcg for a multinational and you eere lucky to get the medical emergency refund - thou their terms may allow for it.

Advertisement