Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Primary Teachers ever get Incremental credit?

Options
  • 24-06-2019 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi,
    I applied for incremental credit but was declined on the basis that my primary degree (Engineering) was not relevant to primary teaching.

Just wondering if any primary teachers ever got awarded incremental credit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Just wondering if any primary teachers ever got awarded incremental credit?

Yes I was awarded incremental credit in respect of work as an SNA and as a teacher, both roles in private mainstream primary schools. I now teach in a special school.

All of my work in both roles was relevant to my current post.

What aspect of your engineering degree did you describe as relevant to your work in the primary classroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Cash_Q wrote: »
    What aspect of your engineering degree did you describe as relevant to your work in the primary classroom?
    I don't want to speak for the OP, but I imagine being good at maths ought to be a pretty clear benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Cash_Q wrote: »

Maths
    Science
    English
    Technology
    Coding - scratch, code Dojo, etc
    Problem-Solving
    communication skills
    I.T skills

If I am 40 years of age and on point 10 of the teachers pay scale. At pensionable age I will have 33 years of service given. Somewhat short of the 40 years required? to receive full pension. I was quoted circa €100,000 a few years ago to buy back the 7 years, which I think is completely unfeasible.
    If I had started teaching straight after college I would be on a much higher pay point and the Dept. would be paying me a lot more money for a teacher with zero professional experience. However after my experience as an engineer I am on a much lower pay point and the school/Dept. are getting the benefit of my industry experience.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I agree you should have that experience recognised, I wonder could you appeal their decision?

I have friends who have many years experience of teaching at preschool level and their applications for incremental credit were rejected. They have long standing experience of lesson planning, classroom management etc. etc., the only difference being the age group and the curriculum delivered. It seems to be a bit hit and miss with being successful or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If I had started teaching straight after college I would be on a much higher pay point and the Dept. would be paying me a lot more money for a teacher with zero professional experience. However after my experience as an engineer I am on a much lower pay point and the school/Dept. are getting the benefit of my industry experience.

Thoughts?
    Hang on now. I was on your side, and I agree that you have a lot to offer, but outside of your subject knowledge, you're going to have to explain to me how your industry experience is going to be so beneficial in a school.
    Are you planning to build them some prefabs, or improve the efficiency of the boiler, or how is your industry experience going to benefit the school?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

IF you had started teaching after college. But you didn’t. You went into the private sector and I’m sure you were well paid for your work. I don’t think it’s fair to switch into teaching after 20 years and expect to get the same pension that others have being paying into for the past 20 years.
    If you want the dept to pay you for your experience you should stay in the private sector and get involved in the money pit that is building school buildings. Or at least the planning and tender side which takes years and costs the taxpayers thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭goldsalmon33

Fair points, however my answer to them would be that yes the school does get the benefit of my industry experience in that I manage the schools IT from procurement of hardware devices to setup and install and maintenance. Yes i was paid while in the private sector but they are not getting the benefit of their training of me now. The Dept are.

Fair enough I will not get the same pension as I will not have worked the required years and not been paying into it. I can understand that. I have though been trained up and and they are getting the value of that experience which is what the incremental credit scheme is for? They allow for non-teaching experience in the application from.

Maybe there is someone else who has applied for incremental credit and got it, coming from a non-teaching background?

Advertisement