Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a Course

• 22-06-2019 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

As the title suggests recommend a course you played that you think is worth playing.

I'll start;

Ballykisteen.

It's on the Limerick/Tipp border, €25 a round.

Played here last week and really enjoyed it. Water and blind shots to contend with.

PS. I'm don't think I'm good enough to rate a course out of ten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,318 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'm from Cahir and play Ballykisteen a lot - Absolutely love it.

If we are talking about 'affordable' courses that exceed value, then that's a great shout.

Tipperary Golf Club (Tipp Town) is a good course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Headfort New. Fabulous course. Up there with the top parklands in Ireland. Have an Open on Tuesdays for €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I can be quite critical of my own track at times but I have to say the greens in Lucan GC are absolutely immaculate at the moment. Well worth a visit if you want to see what 11 or 12 on the stimp plays like!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,740 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I went through a few years of playing as many courses as possible .

The best approach I found was using Kevin Markham's Hooked.

If I was in a random county like Waterford I'd look up the book for the area and look at marks.

You'd get to a level where from marks you'd know what you were facing then price them up. I think I used to look for about 80 pts up.

If you want to play a course below that . That's fine once you know what to expect. It's a golf ball and a field. Still golf.
    Some of the course below 80 we're good too . Below 70 a lower level.

To be honest was never sent wrong with this method and played courses I never even knew about.

In Ireland your always within 20 to 30 minutes off very good golf.

The top 100 courses are all well and good but there is excellent golf even above that.

There is a serious amount of golf to be played in the likes of Wicklow , Waterford, Laois, Tipperary , Kildare , Meath even little Carlow , louth .

It's incredible.

There is incredible golf out there outside the Marquee courses. And the top places have gone totally daft and a bit Americanized.

So not a plug . Just my own experience.

The going rate is probably higher now . The days of 20 quid are probably gone and rightly so in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d agree with Fixd almost word for word.

Courses that came as a pleasant surprise to me, ie where preconceived expectations were more than exceeded: Massereene, Coollattiin, Strandhill, Mannan Castle, Luttelstown, the Island, Murvagh, Slieve Russell, Lisburn, Killeen Castle

Those that didn’t live up to expectations: Galgorm Castle, Druids Heath, Hollywood Lakes, Co Louth, Corballlis, Mount Wolsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,476 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Greenore, Co. Louth. Lovely course. Open competition every Tuesday 20 euro for visitors. Lovely views too.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Portumna has to be up there for quality and value

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

plumber77 wrote: »

I've never played here, but it's been said to me many time about how good it is...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Value for money courses that exceed.....any amounts of them, Beech Park, Portumna, Nenagh, Coollattin, Tullamore, Strandhill, Esker Hills, CastleWarden, North West, Macreddin

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

+1 for Strandhill, super course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Strandhill definitely my favourite course. Need to play it more. Dundrum in Tipp is great value as is Ballinrobe. Shout out to my own club Craddockstown which has improved a lot this year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Carlow GC, Slieve Russell

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I really enjoyed Tramore when I played it around 5 years ago. Keep meaning to go back.

Others I really like are McCreddin, Rathsallagh and Woodenbridge.

Enniscorthy is a nice course as well (during the summer as it holds water) and can be played for reasonable money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

kieran. wrote: »
    Carlow GC, Slieve Russell

Both really good.

I like Woodenbridge too, more for the surrounding countryside than the course itself.

Tralee is the most stunning course I have played from a scenery perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Rosslare, great links course and has an open fairly regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Castlebar Golf Course, 5 new holes are in play and they are really nice. Very underrated parkland imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

I thought this thread might be able to help me out opposed to starting a new one.

I'm interested in joining a club in the Waterford area. I'm very close to Tramore but I have heard good things about Faithlegg, Waterford Castle and Waterford Golf Club.

I'm curious as a new member with little connection to the area where someone would recommend?

Tramore would be the most convenient but as a new member, other factors could trump that such as integration of new members etc?

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Hitch2222 wrote: »

other factors could TRUMP that...
    Any thoughts?
    OK. Are you Keith Barry? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Dero123

Gowran Park is very underrated also a big fan of Macreddin and Bunclody

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Where not to go and defo not value for money..........

Farnham Estate outside Cavan Town

Although the site says €50 I ended up paying €45 and still about twice too much.

Very average course, the 1st and the 18th were up to the mark, everything else...........Mmm

• Advertisement

mulranny and/or carne in west mayo for links

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

etxp wrote: »
    Castlebar Golf Course, 5 new holes are in play and they are really nice. Very underrated parkland imo.

How does it compare to Ballinrobe? Played Ballinrobe a couple of time and thought it was a great track. Might try to get a round in Sat before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

galwayllm wrote: »
    I've never played here, but it's been said to me many time about how good it is...

Its open week there next week. Beautiful course. €20
    17th probably up there with the best holes in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I thought this thread might be able to help me out opposed to starting a new one.

I'm interested in joining a club in the Waterford area. I'm very close to Tramore but I have heard good things about Faithlegg, Waterford Castle and Waterford Golf Club.

I'm curious as a new member with little connection to the area where someone would recommend?

Tramore would be the most convenient but as a new member, other factors could trump that such as integration of new members etc?

Any thoughts?

Tramore is a super course and generally rated above the other three, if you joined Waterford Castle you'll have to flaff around getting a ferry every time, think it's a fiver a go

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

slave1 wrote: »
    Tramore is a super course and generally rated above the other three, if you joined Waterford Castle you'll have to flaff around getting a ferry every time, think it's a fiver a go

Also, Faithlegg could probably be classed as a resort course, so I'd speculate that you might have to do a bit of competing with hotel guests for tee times. I'm not 100% on that though, its a bit of an assumption.

Played the course once & it was a nice trek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

slave1 wrote: »

There's no charge on the ferry.

If you book a room in the hotel they add €5 to your bill for "Ferry Costs", but there's no cost per trip (and no charge if you aren't a hotel guest :D)

EDIT - they actually call it an "island and resort fee" - hotel guests only

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

plumber77 wrote: »

It’s an absolute gem. Won’t trouble the low handicapper too much, but the surroundings and some of the holes are fantastic. Great feed in the clubhouse bar afterwards as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

How does it compare to Ballinrobe? Played Ballinrobe a couple of time and thought it was a great track. Might try to get a round in Sat before the match.

Ballinrobe is excellent. It's hard to find fault with it. I don't like the 2nd to 18th hole. It's a bit mental where the tree is but having said that, there is a corridor of about 5m between semi/ fairway where you can land your drive and get on in 2. Also, the tier on the green on 15th is waaaaaaaay too severe but I'm nitpicking. If you don't finish with a smile on your face, don't blame the course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Ballinrobe is excellent. It's hard to find fault with it. I don't like the 2nd to 18th hole. It's a bit mental where the tree is but having said that, there is a corridor of about 5m between semi/ fairway where you can land your drive and get on in 2. Also, the tier on the green on 15th is waaaaaaaay too severe but I'm nitpicking. If you don't finish with a smile on your face, don't blame the course!!

TBF it's a par 5 - if that ash wasn't there then the 18th would most like be a long par 4.
    That said, the tree is far enough back from the green that even with a 4/5 iron in your hand you should be able to go over it and still be on the back of the green (or else a power fade with a 3 wood around it! :p)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

blackwhite wrote: »
    TBF it's a par 5 - if that ash wasn't there then the 18th would most like be a long par 4.
    That said, the tree is far enough back from the green that even with a 4/5 iron in your hand you should be able to go over it and still be on the back of the green (or else a power fade with a 3 wood around it! :p)

Or in the bar!!! I still think it ruins the hole. It's a great tee shot from the back tees and might be better served as a par 4. We're nitpicking though. I wouldn't let it put me off the overall enjoyment of the course.

Advertisement