Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,560 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

People are simply hoping it won't be horrible oppressive humidity, which isn't nice weather just because it's warm.

And it's not necessarily the same people complaining about each extreme.

we've never had oppressive humidity in Ireland ffs! Try going to central america, even with totally blue skies the air is still kind of wet. 19c here and cloudy and people can't handle it. I think I must be a different breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

we've never had oppressive humidity in Ireland ffs! Try going to central america, even with totally blue skies the air is still kind of wet. 19c here and cloudy and people can't handle it. I think I must be a different breed.

Ah come on Thelonious, it is all relative really.

What is there to like dripping with sweat and feeling awful when it it pre thunder weather here. Pray tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looks like some serious rainfall Sunday and into Sunday night...Flash floods possible as ppn likely to turn thundery before clearing esp further south. Interesting week coming up. The Met update by Alex Deakin is extraordinary for the UK. It isn't every day of the week we here the words violent thunderstorms or damaging hail...remember it's peak summer temperatures will rocket under sunshine at times..

Ah come on Thelonious, it is all relative really.

What is there to like dripping with sweat and feeling awful when it it pre thunder weather here. Pray tell.

I can't ever recall this happening to me. I know it's relative but seriously, it never gets uncomfortably warm in Ireland, for me anyway. And I'm someone who can't stand the heat in the average office or woman's living room in winter.

My friend in Arnhem, Holland, reckons they'll break their record of 38.7 this week and could possibly hit 40, they're saying on the news there. That's nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It gets to a fair bit higher than 19 degrees. Doesn't matter if it's not as bad as the places you mention. We're still not used to it.

And I don't get how anyone could enjoy it if it's just cloudy with zero hint of sun.

Yeah I feel like a different breed in the opposite sense when I hear what some people consider "freezing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

It’s a very humid country. As you would expect of an island in the sea. Or damp, as we call the cold humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I admit I seem to have a lower than average tolerance for elevated temperatures. There are people at work who are extremely overweight that have more tolerance of heat than I do. I am very much an outlier for an Irish woman.

But I do find cold uncomfortable at a certain point! And I think dry heat is grand once I stay in the shade. With a breeze it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So what's the latest update thanks.

More than likely...

giphy.gif

...next week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What a forecast from the UKMO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sxpU1eUA2I

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

More than likely...

giphy.gif

...next week
    And this
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tonights weather summary will be:

Its will be hot. Damn hot. It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good if you're in the jungle.

So, all food to be cajun, all clothes to be tropical battle gear and all music to be 'Somewhere down the Crazy River' by Robbie Robertson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭giveitholly

km79 wrote: »
    Just waiting for the drought merchants now
    Hasn’t even happened yet and people are complaining
    After months of complaining about low temps

It’s like last year all over again
    We don’t deserve nice weather

Nice weather to you might not be nice weather to other people,some people are quite happy with temperatures of 20ish whereas some people love when it goes into mid 20s or higher.As regards droughts peoples livelihoods depend on the land so of course they don't want droughts,its hard please everyone in Ireland when it comes to weather so I don't know why you say we don't deserve nice weather in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BBC pointing to Tuesday and Wednesday of next week for that hot air to reach Ireland

In fairness, comparing Central America (around the Caribbean) to Ireland is like comparing apples and oranges.

The humidity in Ireland compared to other locations +15/-15 degrees latitude is a fairer comparison. For example, I was in Paris a few years back and it felt like a warm summers day at home, I expected the high that day was around 22c or 23c based upon my experience from home. I looked up the high for that day, 31c in Paris.

The humidity has a huge bearing on the "feel" of the weather.

I remember Christmas morning 2010 and seeing the weather station reporting under -13c at 9am and expecting it to be bitter, but owing to the low humidity I could have ventured out in a T-Shirt, another typical winters morning at -3c and you'd freeze your socks off.

Sweet baby Jesus:

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

Nice weather to you might not be nice weather to other people,some people are quite happy with temperatures of 20ish whereas some people love when it goes into mid 20s or higher.As regards droughts peoples livelihoods depend on the land so of course they don't want droughts,its hard please everyone in Ireland when it comes to weather so I don't know why you say we don't deserve nice weather in ireland

The fact is it's cool or cold, as in doesn't go above 15c or so, for probably 48 weeks of the year and when we get a bit of weather over 20c or so people start moaning. That's annoying to people who like warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In all seriousness, the conversation about severe risks to livestock in the open will have to be had.

At least the recent wet weather will have reduced the risk of dry brush for lightning to start wildfires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭squarecircles

It's official folks - Michelle Dillion of Met Eireann - next week will be ''hot'' and thundery.

Hot - a term Met Eireann rarely use.

Biscay thunderstorms across the country Tuesday.

Danno wrote: »
    In fairness, comparing Central America (around the Caribbean) to Ireland is like comparing apples and oranges.

I guess I just don't get the big deal, it's June 21 and we've had no warm weather in Dublin yet, so a few days is hardly going to kill anyone. Personally I've never been uncomfortably warm in Dublin, I realise it's a bit different inland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Danno wrote: »
    Sweet baby Jesus:

Is that upper atmosphere?
    Wish I knew how to interpret these charts more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The fact is it's cool or cold, as in doesn't go above 15c or so, for probably 48 weeks of the year and when we get a bit of weather over 20c or so people start moaning. That's annoying to people who like warm weather.

I love heat. But it must be dry heat like I said earlier. I would rather be cool than dealing with sweat running down my face (and elsewhere!) in high humidity.

Look, it is each to their own, but sticky sweaty weather is not enjoyable. Well for me anyway.

Not that we get either of the above much here!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Totally agree SE.

Last year's summer felt so nice because of the low humidity and warm temps.
    We rarely get that here.

I have been dealing very nicely with the recent 15/16C, anything more, and I sweat uncomfortably.
    But can also love the high 20's in the medi.

Not that we get either of the above much here!

That's what I mean, how often is it too bloody humid in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The potential for thunderstorms seems to be greater than the potential for full-on heat with this, granted it will almost certainly get very warm by Thursday and Friday on current guidance, 27 or 28 C seems plausible in Ireland (away from cooler coasts from Cork around to Dublin), but not sold on anything above 30 as there will be frontal cloud lingering in many areas for parts of each day, if not more significant cooling effects of local showers and thunderstorms.

There has been a trend in recent model runs to slow down the onset and end of the warm spell, now it looks like Friday night into Saturday morning will be the breakdown but that could continue to push later and end up being Sunday if these trends continue.

Will perhaps post a contest for this around Sunday when it becomes a little more clear what the time frame should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

wet snow, wet heat, this year goes by that the trend so far.

we had good bit of snow and a great summer last year in Ireland, so that should do for a while. lol

maybe the summer may show, but feck it its Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Monkeynut wrote: »
    wet snow, wet heat, this year goes by that the trend so far.

we had good bit of snow and a great summer last year in Ireland, so that should do for a while. lol

maybe the summer may show, but feck it its Ireland.

at least we're getting a few days of warmth, something that has been very much absent this year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It has been too cold, we had days not much above 11C in June. It will make a nice change, hopefully some good thunderstorms - without damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I agree with MT re: cloud cover. Undoubtedly restricting temperatures for some at various times. That low pressure to the southwest will be developing complex frontal zones which occasionally drift over the country from the south/southeast - at the same time this is where the main storm potential comes from (other than the inland convective homegrown storms that will bubble up).

It's a trade off if your a fan of heat and storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Oops deleted last post 26c or 27c still likely. Good stuff

Love thunderstorm rain

Advertisement