Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-06-2019, 14:01   #31
jb88

For me its my all Parts correct, along with matching scope, Scope case and Transit case of my 1945 No4 MK1 T.

Known for having better accuracy than its later cousin the L42 ;-)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-06-2019, 21:55   #32
oldgit1897

Westley Richards 1897 falling block and a Webley Wyley single shot.
Thanks from:
19-06-2019, 22:02   #33
BigCIllAodain

Any of ye ever shoot the older FALs? Or even an L1a1?
19-06-2019, 22:49   #34
cookimonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCIllAodain View Post
If by older you mean ones dated from around the 1960's ..Yep.
Lovely rifle much better then the awful Styer.

Anyone serving in the PDF from 1961 until 1989 would have used them, the RDF also would have had later use before they went to a single force program in the '00ies and the Steyr AUG became the main personal weapon .
A rather expensive upgrade exsists as a designated Marks Man or sniper support weapon.

In my unexciting career I've fired the Lee Enfield both 303 and .22LR, FN FAL 7.62, the Karl Gustav M/45 9mm, the Steyr (horrible, horrible ), FN MAG GPMG and had a range practice with the German Army Heckler & Koch G36 5.56MM.

Now there's bound to be lads here who have shot the likes of the Bren Gun, fabulous gun I believe, the Browning .50 Caliber Machine Gun as well as several support weapons and artillery pieces.....
.... but I envy the guys who fired the '90' - Pansarvärnspjäs 1110S 90 mm recoilless gun. Unless you were on a crew that had to manhandle it around the Glen.

Managed to get my sweaty hands on a Garand NATO 7.62 and an .30 cal M1 (common here, I belive, among gallery shooters) but unfortunately there was no way I was going to get a shot out of either one.
20-06-2019, 10:18   #35
meathstevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakiaman View Post
The most unusual one I've handled was a Dolne Apache pistol with folding nuckelduster grip and spring loaded blade under the barrel. That was back in the day in Afghanistan when every man and his dog carried a gun (at least one)
Dragon slaying weapon of mass destruction that was.....
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-06-2019, 17:06   #36
Brontosaurus

If Americans or Swiss saw this thread they'd laugh at us
(3) thanks from:
20-06-2019, 18:03   #37
notobtuse

Unique guns I’ve fired were a fully automatic .45 Thompson submachine gun and a pen gun personally owned by the chief of police in the town I grew up in. Firing my ex bother-in-law’s .44 magnum Smith & Wesson Model 29 (the Dirty Harry gun) was a kick in the pants. I own a WW2 Type I Arisaka produced by the Kingdom of Italy for the Japanese navy, and a 16 gauge bolt action shotgun owned by baseball great Ted Williams, who gave it to my uncle (they played in the MLB together and were friends).
(2) thanks from:
20-06-2019, 18:15   #38
notobtuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brontosaurus View Post
If Americans or Swiss saw this thread they'd laugh at us
LOL. Not all Americans own guns. It's an interesting thread and those of us who do own guns, and are constantly battling for our right to keep them, understand the limitations of gun ownership in other countries. I only own 8, 2 of which were passed down to me (and a taser). My uncle owns over 60 firearms, and most people who own large amounts of guns didn't purchase them. They were passed on from generation to generation or given to by various family members over the years. May people here just can't seem to part with family guns.
20-06-2019, 22:11   #39
Scalachi

Send a message via Skype™ to Scalachi
I have been lucky enough to fire a few guns, and now own a few ..

Fired the 303/FN/Bren/Gustaf and BAP in FCA days got to fire some nice and not nice guns here and there as well, one such was the .50 Desert Eagle (one shot was plenty thanks).

I am lucky enough to have an M1 Carbine best fun you can have with your clothes on.

But I recently bought a quite unusual rifle I had never seen before, a Browning Model SA22, made by FN in Belgium .22 Semi loaded through a hole in the middle of the side of the stick, Rifle is cocked from under the action and the spent brass drops out the bottom - oh and its a takedown as well - all weighing in at under 5LBS
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
21-06-2019, 05:48   #40
Pkiernan

Fired: MP40 submachine gun.

Owned: toss up between 1970 S&W M29 44 Mag with 8 3/8" barrel or my Freedom Arms Mini 22 with 1 1/8" barrel.
21-06-2019, 09:59   #41
meathstevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCIllAodain View Post
Yes, the British pattern FAL is a common enough rifle among target shooters who like their more modern military rifles in continental Europe. It's often a straightforward enough one to licence since it has no full auto capability.
21-06-2019, 10:13   #42
meathstevie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalachi View Post
I have been lucky enough to fire a few guns, and now own a few ..

Fired the 303/FN/Bren/Gustaf and BAP in FCA days got to fire some nice and not nice guns here and there as well, one such was the .50 Desert Eagle (one shot was plenty thanks).

I am lucky enough to have an M1 Carbine best fun you can have with your clothes on.

But I recently bought a quite unusual rifle I had never seen before, a Browning Model SA22, made by FN in Belgium .22 Semi loaded through a hole in the middle of the side of the stick, Rifle is cocked from under the action and the spent brass drops out the bottom - oh and its a takedown as well - all weighing in at under 5LBS
That little semi-auto .22 was at one stage common as muck in Belgium. That was back in the good old days when the only requirements to own sporting firearms were being an adult with a clean criminal record.
(2) thanks from:
21-06-2019, 13:26   #43
oldgit1897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalachi View Post
I love those little brownings, quality little things. But sadly i think they are classed as a bullpup here ?
Thanks from:
22-06-2019, 02:05   #44
Grizzly 45

Hard one to call.As it isnt a traditional bull pup design in the fact most BP designs have a detachable box mag behind,not a tublar permanent mag in the wooden buttstock.

Another unusual gun I've only ever seen one of in Ireland during the TCO years,in Nestor Bros Limerick ,was a Unique .22 rifle /pistol combo.You could demount the .22 pistol lower,and put a slide and barrel assembly on it,for a handy little .22 pistol.Removing the pistol slide& barrel,you locked the assembly into a wooden rifle stock and barrel assembly and you had the rifle ready to go. Nedless to say back then the .22 pistol slides and barrels were confiscated under TCO 1972,so I'd say this is a rarity here in Ireland,always wanted to own one of them.So if anyone knows of one FS??
Thanks from:
22-06-2019, 16:44   #45
BigCIllAodain

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathstevie View Post
Yes, the British pattern FAL is a common enough rifle among target shooters who like their more modern military rifles in continental Europe. It's often a straightforward enough one to licence since it has no full auto capability.

Im guessing it wouldn't be possible to license one here because they aren't chambered in .308 and it would take a lot of pricking around to remove the fully automatic capability. I've seen some conversion kits but none for .308

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion