Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commercial RIB license

• 16-06-2019 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭

What would I need if I wanted to take a bunch of hapless (fee paying) tourists on a RIB?

STCW, Advanced powerboat, VHF license, commercial endorsement for the rib itself, anything else?

Probably need insurance in case some one of them decides they want a life-long holiday from working and claims to have a sore shoulder

also is there much of a future in giving tours do you think? tourism is booming but not every part of it is booming equally. how do you rate the money making potential?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

A passenger license from the dept of Transport would be the main one. Without it insurance etc means nothing.

LINKY http://www.dttas.ie/maritime/english/passenger-boat-regulations-0

You may also need RYA skippper certification and possibly crew, but the dept will tell you exactly what you need. It all depends on size/type of boat, how many passengers, operating waters etc

As to the marketability of your plan, it really would depend on many things such as location, footfall, how much you spend on promotion, websites etc. I know a few lads that do it. One does ok as having a P2 allows him have a bar license (big boat) and that's where he gets his money.

The other has something similar to what you're thinking of, but he has a couple of boats in a couple areas to make it worth his while. He doesn't make a fortune but does it because he loves the water.

My business is a little different but the other two and myself all have something else to supplement the boat income, especially in the winter.

If it's inland waterways, such as lough ree, you may also need a commercial ops licence from Waterways Ireland IIRC.

Best of luck with it and if its at all feasible go for it. Beats working in an office etc, even on a rainy day :D

Advertisement