Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in the rain

• 13-06-2019 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Whats the best way to protect barrels and actions on a shotgun if your shooting in the rain. Couple of 100 bird clay shoots on this weekend and the forecast is not looking great. Normally id skip the shoot if heavy rain was forecast but now that its june i would love to be out more. I have tried a light film of gun oil before shooting but im not too confident its going to be good enough for 2 or 3 hours in the rain in and out of a slip

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Whats the best way to protect barrels and actions on a shotgun if your shooting in the rain. Couple of 100 bird clay shoots on this weekend and the forecast is not looking great. Normally id skip the shoot if heavy rain was forecast but now that its june i would love to be out more. I have tried a light film of gun oil before shooting but im not too confident its going to be good enough for 2 or 3 hours in the rain in and out of a slip

I use tetra gun degreaser to strip all oil off the gun then soak it in birch wood Casey barricade.
    Seems to do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Got one of these on hols..

Shoot all year round with it.

'Hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Honestly, stay at home......

Between stalking, rough shooting and decoying and particularly as its Ireland with an Irish climate that officaly rains one day in three, my rifles / guns get a good soaking periodidcaly.

Beside keeping my muzzle safely pointing down in heavy spells my only precautions is the aftercare I give them just before re-casing and heading home and then at home before storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

I've sat in a duck hide for hours in torrential rain with my gun.

The rain will do no harm to your shotgun.

Don't worry about it or cancel - just go out and use it and enjoy it.

Bring it home and give it a wipe down with a cloth to remove excess moisture.

Then let it stand in a warm room to remove any remaining moisture.

Do not put it too near a heat source ...like a radiator.

When dry just clean and lightly oil it as you would do any other day.

Go out and enjoy the day,.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

"Shooting in the rain" sounds like it could be the name of a bad country song

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hedzball wrote: »
    Got one of these on hols..

Shoot all year round with it.

'Hdz
    HAh. Loving this.
    "Shooting in the rain" sounds like it could be the name of a bad country song
    Closest i could find, but i suppose if you miss it could work. :D

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Just give it a good clean afterwards and prior to putting it into the slip give it a rub with a cloth. I always leave it near the stove, then strip it down and give it a good clean...I'm never worried about the gun getting wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't put a wet or damp gun in a gun slip. It's a guaranteed recipe for rust. Don't worry about the gun getting a drenching. Clean it as soon as you get home, leave it in a warm room for a few hours and clean it again and give it a wipe with an oily rag.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Buy a marine grade stainless gun?
    Otherwise ,just let it dry off at room temp for an hour or so.I just lie mine on a house radiator turned to a LOW for 40 mins until warm.Clean and oil as needed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I have a cloth in my safe which was soaked in 3in1 a long time ago (a trick learned in DURC), give anything I've used a rub down with that as I'm putting it away.

Once a year I'll take the action from the stock and refresh the coat on the underside, but beyond that it's as the boys say - wipe it down and let it dry before putting it away and don't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If you're travelling far, bring a towel, oily rag and a cleaning rod.

Dry the gun with the towel, give it a rub with a oily rag and use the rod to dry inside the barrels.

Guns wont rust as soon as they get wet.

When you get home, strip it down and give it a clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use a rag to wipe off water and then use a small rag soaked in ACF50 which is an excellent corrosion preventer to give it a wipe over then let it dry.

Advertisement