Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 British Amateur Championship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Great achievement, fair play to him, not sure what Walker was at on the last.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some achievement, gets to play at the open, next year's masters and us open!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What happened?

Was off the green, elected to use the putter up the hill instead of chipping it, it didn't make the hill and rolled back down to him.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Is this on TV anywhere?

It will be. Keep an eye out on sky

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭paulos53

It doesn't reflect well on the Munster branch of the GUI that they picked today to play the first 2 rounds of the Senior Cup.

They must not have had confidence in any of their members performing so well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Was off the green, elected to use the putter up the hill instead of chipping it, it didn't make the hill and rolled back down to him.

Easier said than done all the same. Would think the majority of players wouldve putted given how tight the fairways are cut and the steepness of the slope in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

paulos53 wrote: »
    It doesn't reflect well on the Munster branch of the GUI that they picked today to play the first 2 rounds of the Senior Cup.

They must not have had confidence in any of their members performing so well

Well they are picked months in advance in fairness. It is the same every year and a lot of the top top amateurs don’t play in senior or Barton shield tournaments these days owing to the hectic schedules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It's one of them ones that's a fine margin between a good shot and a bad one. Putter probably the right call.

Well they are picked months in advance in fairness. It is the same every year and a lot of the top top amateurs don’t play in senior or Barton shield tournaments these days owing to the hectic schedules.

Exactly. Wish we had our best couple of lads available for senior and shield

Apparently on Sky on Tuesday and Wednesday evening.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Brilliant, more Irish flags on major leaderboards to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Some achievement, gets to play at the open, next year's masters and us open!
    But not the Irish open. Mad.:confused:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    But not the Irish open. Mad.:confused:

The field hasn't been finalised yet, I'd be surprised if he didn't get one of the spots usually reserved for amateurs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Apparently on Sky on Tuesday and Wednesday evening.

10pm Tuesday night, 4pm Wednesday

Zaph wrote: »
    The field hasn't been finalised yet, I'd be surprised if he didn't get one of the spots usually reserved for amateurs.

There are no spots reserved. It’s a Rolex event.

He hasn’t entered the qualifier so he won’t be playing in it.

The European team championships are on same time, they are more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

he was 1 down, smacking it 20ft past wasn't the play, at that stage he needed to hit the perfect shot. Fine margins to please the hurlers on the ditch.

Zaph wrote: »

There are no amateur spots reserved, its now a Rolex event and Amateurs do not get spots in Rolex events, and rightly so given the money on offer.

he was 1 down, smacking it 20ft past wasn't the play, at that stage he needed to hit the perfect shot. Fine margins to please the hurlers on the ditch.

Cool story bro..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

He has been invited and accepted an invitation to play in the pro-am part of the Irish open.

Good to see.

Anyone know what handicap he is off?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

i checked on HDID and it was scratch, then i checked the comp results and their last comp was 2013 so they must have stopped using HDID. Think that made him scratch at 16, i would guess +4/+5 now.

Anyone know what handicap he is off?

Just have a look at what he has entered the next event off on golfnet.

Very much irrelevant at that level, especially when involved in representative teams and his WAGR

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Watched this on Sky Sports last night, different type of camera work, it was all ground based, the odd tee shot but mostly cameraman at the green recording the ball landing, really missed the elevated camera work and protracer. They got some serious putts in...

slave1 wrote: »
    Watched this on Sky Sports last night, different type of camera work, it was all ground based, the odd tee shot but mostly cameraman at the green recording the ball landing, really missed the elevated camera work and protracer. They got some serious putts in...

Amazing how many putts the Scot holed and still lost. Sugrue was calm and collected considering

i checked on HDID and it was scratch, then i checked the comp results and their last comp was 2013 so they must have stopped using HDID. Think that made him scratch at 16, i would guess +4/+5 now.

+4.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Amazing how many putts the Scot holed and still lost. Sugrue was calm and collected considering

He had a lovely swing the Scottish lad I thought. Has anyone ever won both this and the US Amateur? Is it permitted that they can play in both?

He was -4 under for the first 16 holes of the afternoon round. Shows how well Sugrue played to withstand the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

ThunderCat wrote: »
    He had a lovely swing the Scottish lad I thought. Has anyone ever won both this and the US Amateur? Is it permitted that they can play in both?

Bobby Jones has won both. Probably a few others too.
    Yes you can play in both.

Advertisement