Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PME for a mature entry - not currently satisfying Irish requirements

• 30-05-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I am looking for advice from current teachers and anyone who potentially studied the PME after repeating the LC Irish at HL.

I am currently looking at applying for the PME next Autumn (2020).

I completed my LC in 2004 but only did Irish at OL and achieved a B2 so I currently don't satisfy the criteria for Hibernia. I have looked into doing the TEG but they have said it would take 2-3 years to complete that exam to the correct proficiency. So my only other option is to retake my Irish LC at HL in 2020.

My question is, is it possible to gain a C2 in Honours Irish at this stage if I started intensive study now? Or am I fooling myself. I don't really want to spend a year doing this if it isn't possible. Is it a risk also to spend this much time for a course I may potentially not get a place for? (I have an Honours Degree in Law and my other LC subjects qualify as far as I can see - it doesn't seem to stipulate differences as per year of LC).

I should point out I have two Children so taking any longer than this isn't really feasible as I would need to complete the PME as soon as possible. I don't have the luxury of part time earnings for very long.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes a year is plenty of time to study a subject for LC. If I were you I would do one of the revision courses in a grind school next school year to get you on the right track. You could do an evening course with Conrad’s na Gaeilge too over the summer too, to get you back speaking Irish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's definitely doable if you take it on like it's a job and spend a certain amount of time with it every week/day.
    I have had many mature students for grinds. One guy sort of giggled at the start of every class and said "you're going to kill me....I've done nothing since we last met". HE was the only one who didn't make it through. Everyone else who put their mind to it got through it.

40% for the oral - you could have that much prepped by the end of this summer if you really go at it. 20 sraith pictiur. Awful at the beginning but as you go along they'll get easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Motherofgirls

Thanks so much both of you, this gives me a spark of hope!

Apologies for the delay in response, I didn't get an email from boards so I assumed no one had responded.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

Hi. PM sent to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Can you do it in that time? Probably, yes.
    Should you? No, not if you're not serious about it. If you want to improve your Irish to the level where you are comfortable teaching it to a good sixth class, you are not going to get there in one year, or during the PME. Your students deserve a teacher who is proficient at Irish, not just scraped the minimum requirement.
    Same goes for the other core subjects, obviously. I assume your English is good, since you have an honours degree in law, but your maths should be better than the minimum standard too. Maybe it is.

Why do you want to get into teaching? I'm sure you have other options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Ell3

Hi

I am looking for advice from current teachers and anyone who potentially studied the PME after repeating the LC Irish at HL.

I am currently looking at applying for the PME next Autumn (2020).

I completed my LC in 2004 but only did Irish at OL and achieved a B2 so I currently don't satisfy the criteria for Hibernia. I have looked into doing the TEG but they have said it would take 2-3 years to complete that exam to the correct proficiency. So my only other option is to retake my Irish LC at HL in 2020.

My question is, is it possible to gain a C2 in Honours Irish at this stage if I started intensive study now? Or am I fooling myself. I don't really want to spend a year doing this if it isn't possible. Is it a risk also to spend this much time for a course I may potentially not get a place for? (I have an Honours Degree in Law and my other LC subjects qualify as far as I can see - it doesn't seem to stipulate differences as per year of LC).

I should point out I have two Children so taking any longer than this isn't really feasible as I would need to complete the PME as soon as possible. I don't have the luxury of part time earnings for very long.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

You should def go for it. I started teaching gaeilge around when you completed your Leaving Cert - since then the course has become much easier. No more extra poems for hons students, most marks in written paper given to essay plus 20 picture stories of which I totally disagree with as turned the oral into rote learning. I see students who work hard and prefer to learn things off ny heart do well in these. Plus in my opinion as an oral/written examiner compared to when you did your LC marking schemes have become more easier on students.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

RealJohn wrote: »
    Can you do it in that time? Probably, yes.
    Should you? No, not if you're not serious about it. If you want to improve your Irish to the level where you are comfortable teaching it to a good sixth class, you are not going to get there in one year, or during the PME. Your students deserve a teacher who is proficient at Irish, not just scraped the minimum requirement.
    Same goes for the other core subjects, obviously. I assume your English is good, since you have an honours degree in law, but your maths should be better than the minimum standard too. Maybe it is.

Why do you want to get into teaching? I'm sure you have other options.

Your post is scathing more than helpful. The OP asked how to best satisfy the Irish requirement given their personal circumstances. They didn't ask to be lectured about their potential career change.

Lots of teachers may have "scraped" the minimum requirement in Irish as you put it, it doesn't mean they don't go on to become fantastic primary teachers.

The OP may have a wealth of experiences to bring to the classroom, both professionally and academically. Certainly more than a 21 year old who has just graduated with a Bachelor of Education and has never held any sort of full-time job!

And to the OP I say go for it! Studying for the LC will inevitably improve your level of Irish and either way will bring you closer to your goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭speckled_park

I'm in the same boat as you, I plan on sitting Lc Irish next June. I started Irish grinds last month. The hardest bit might be the Hibernia interview, I was told the questions were usually about yourself, family, interests etc but this year they were asking about opinions on trickier topics like the internet, teaching... I'm getting the feeling they could be looking for a higher standard of Irish. Best of luck!

Advertisement