Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strings: Electric Changing from 11's to 10's

• 22-05-2019 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm not too flashy, but handy enough on guitar, mostly acoustic. I'm more a rhythm and finger style picker than plectrum lead playing, of which I do very little.

Have started to gig out electric (Epiphone Sheraton) and probably naively changed from 11's to 10's. (Bought wrong strings in the shop).

Have lost the sound that I "think" I had with the 11's. and there's now a difference of work possible on the neck, some good some not so good. Maybe also to do with my style and size of fingers? (slim enough).

Can there be much adjustment/compensation made on the sound by adjusting amp settings and guitar pick-up settings etc to suit the 10's? There doesn't seem to be as much depth, bass response with the 10's compared to the 11's

Should I go back to the 11's, or is it mostly a case of getting used to 10's? as I can see, feel and hear there are plus's and minuses with both.

Or, as mostly a strummer/finger style picker, would I always be best with 11's?

Or stick with 10's and see what joy they bring and then decide?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If you're playing rhythm, finger picking and are happy with how 11s feel then go back to them. You'll get a slightly fuller sound off them vs 10s and the benefits of lighter strings don't sound like they apply to your playing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

@RoyalewithCheese. Yes that sounds like a fair summary and good advice. Was just double checking in case my limited electric knowledge was missing something.

Cheers!

Advertisement