Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how long are waiting lists for x-ray in public system?

• 03-05-2019 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Are there long waiting lists for x-rays in the public system? Think have arthritis in my toes and debating whether to go to a clinic such as Affidea express care and pay the €350 for x-rays ( think am covered for half of this on my policy) ,or go to GP and get referred by him for x-ray on either public or private health system. Never gone for x-ray before so not sure of the procedure. Just want the cheapest option (once am not waiting for months )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

GP and referral as a public patient. There’s hardly any queues for X-rays. Any time I’ve gone for an X-ray following referral by my GP. I’ve virtually walked in and out of the hospital. The results will go back to your GP. The X-ray dept is not the emergency (A&E) department.

An X-ray is a really quick thing, as complicated as getting a passport photo. Your GP is always the first port of call. You can choose to go private, but I really wouldn’t bother. Get the results of your X-ray through your GP and then you can choose to proceed via the public or private route if you need to have something else done.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭RoamingDoc

coffeepls wrote: »
    GP and referral as a public patient. There’s hardly any queues for X-rays. Any time I’ve gone for an X-ray following referral by my GP. I’ve virtually walked in and out of the hospital. The results will go back to your GP. The X-ray dept is not the emergency (A&E) department.

An X-ray is a really quick thing, as complicated as getting a passport photo. Your GP is always the first port of call. You can choose to go private, but I really wouldn’t bother. Get the results of your X-ray through your GP and then you can choose to proceed via the public or private route if you need to have something else done.

Absolutely correct. :cool:

There can be extensive waiting lists for other types of radiology investigations but the requesting doctor can find out how long this might be if it comes to that. That's usually where the reputation for long delays comes from. But an X-Ray is just a simple photo (with moderately high tech behind it) so not as time intensive as other modalities so they can get through the patients a lot faster. Additionally, a lot of hospitals will have more than one x-ray machine in operation at a time unlike MRI etc.

Definitely go to your GP first. Get the dual benefit of exam and referral for further investigation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

4-5 months for an X-ray in Tallaght lately while my dad got his routine knee X-ray in another Dublin hospital in a couple of weeks.

There is regional variety!

Advertisement