Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sega Megadrive mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Didn't get a text from Smyths. Boo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

Didn't get a text from Smyths. Boo.

There's a bit of a lag apparently.....

/runs

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Picked up what appeared to be the only one in Gamestop Dun Laoghaire. Surprised they weren't looking for more than €75 TBH as Argos are asking €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I was going to get one and for €75 it sounds like a good deal but I thought the restrictive nature of the system would annoy me so I got an Nvida Shield instead which is meant to a good emulation device.

I was going to get one and for €75 it sounds like a good deal but I thought the restrictive nature of the system would annoy me so I got an Nvida Shield instead which is meant to a good emulation device.

A very good call. The Shield blows away any of the 'Mini' devices, and is really in the 'Rolls Royce' league of 'under the tv' emulation boxes. The only way you'll top it is to move to PC, but unless you want to run higher end stuff like GameCube, Wii, PS2, etc etc, the Shield will have you well covered. You'll be able to configure Retroarch's Run-Ahead feature, and use the nice shaders all at the same time etc, it really is a great little emulation box.

If you want any help setting it all up, give me a shout and I'll advise where I can :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

All these games can be played for free online, so why would I fork out 75 precious euros for this?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

All these games can be played for free online, so why would I fork out 75 precious euros for this?:confused:

Because if you are playing them for free you are not paying the owner of these games for the right to do so, which is theft.
    I mean, by all means use emulation and online stuff if you like, but don't think that it is ultimately right.

If these mini consoles don't mean anything to you, buy the original console and start a collection of your own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Because if you are playing them for free you are not paying the owner of these games for the right to do so, which is theft.
    I mean, by all means use emulation and online stuff if you like, but don't think that it is ultimately right.

If these mini consoles don't mean anything to you, buy the original console and start a collection of your own.

This is the most holier than thou post I've ever seen. :o

I already have most of the games but doubt the console still works at this stage.

I'll keep stealing "stealing" by playing them online, thank you very much. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you have the games then just buy a working console for €40, no need to spend €75 on a mini emulator.

As in through a web browser?

*shudder

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is the most holier than thou post I've ever seen. :o

I already have most of the games but doubt the console still works at this stage.

I'll keep stealing "stealing" by playing them online, thank you very much. :p

No need for the insults.

I wasn't insulting you.

And I was just stating facts.

There are plenty of people here that use emulation.

And there are plenty of people who own original hardware.

Also, there are plenty of reasons not to buy the Megadrive Mini.

And with my moderator hat on,
    You are welcome to use this forum and take part, but if you continue to only have negativity to say then please feel free not to post here at all.
    If it continues you may receive a warning, escalating to a forum ban.
    We all follow the rules here, this is part of the price of admission.
    If you can't, then don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I steal them the old fashioned way, downloading huge romsets, filling devices with them, and still end up just playing 1942, Track & Field, Mr do! or dig dug. (offline).

Have the retro flag megadrive pi case with the sega "frontend"* that was supposedly going on the mini but time ran out for it. It's pretty nifty but If this mini gets a bit cheaper I'll probably buy it.

*Blast16

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

All these games can be played for free online, so why would I fork out 75 precious euros for this?

Pffft, normies...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

I like the aesthetic of the mini consoles. I own all 4 now (SNES, NES and even PS1) I don't use them much but it is nice to have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I know.
    But it's good to have something you can hook up to your tv and play on the sofa.
    A Pi could do the same. But it's just easier to get the mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It does seem extremely disingenuous for someone to make a statement like that.

By that logic, why read books when you can just download them to a Kindle for free instead?

Why have arcade machines when MAME exists?

Why go on holiday when you can just wander around in Google Streetview?

Because they are different experiences, which I'm sure the person already knows.

I won't be buying a Megadrive mini, mainly because I've no use for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

o1s1n wrote: »
    I won't be buying a Megadrive mini, mainly because I've no use for one.

I'll be buying one for precisely this reason :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Why have arcade machines when MAME exists?

MAME loves real arcade machines too ;) The bloody thing made me sell my pcb's when I see a pcb and MAME running side by side on two cabs...

But yeah, agreed. There's a whole spectrum of experience to gauge here, from playing games through an internet browser, to using real hardware on a crt...hardly the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭briany

Inviere wrote: »
    MAME loves real arcade machines too ;) The bloody thing made me sell my pcb's when I see a pcb and MAME running side by side on two cabs...

But yeah, agreed. There's a whole spectrum of experience to gauge here, from playing games through an internet browser, to using real hardware on a crt...hardly the same thing.

I think a true retro experience is probably made up of a dozen different sensory inputs and cues. Tactile things like pushing in the cart or blowing on the contacts can't really be replicated. Also, I've always noticed that if you have instant access to a load of different games at once, it makes things feel cheaper and this greatly diminishes attention span, in my experience. If you have only a few in physical form, and you have to actually get up to change them, there's a bit of a commitment made there and makes it much easier to focus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Anyone know where I can get the 6 button version of the controller for the new mini? I know it was released in Japan but I'm hoping they released it to buy separately.

briany wrote: »
    I think a true retro experience is probably made up of a dozen different sensory inputs and cues. Tactile things like pushing in the cart or blowing on the contacts can't really be replicated. Also, I've always noticed that if you have instant access to a load of different games at once, it makes things feel cheaper and this greatly diminishes attention span, in my experience. If you have only a few in physical form, and you have to actually get up to change them, there's a bit of a commitment made there and makes it much easier to focus.

Fully agree there. Most everyone here as at one point fel 'flash cart syndrome', where you have hundreds of files available, and end up playing nothing. You have to exercise discipline when using roms/emulation/flash carts, because exactly what you said WILL happen - you'll value nothing, and play nothing.

I think you'll have to import them, or have a look at the likes of Tomtop or AliExpress as I believe they have 3rd party pads that are compatible and six button.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think you'll have to import them, or have a look at the likes of Tomtop or AliExpress as I believe they have 3rd party pads that are compatible and six button.

Thanks - I really want he officially licensed 6 button pads by SEGA

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Inviere wrote: »
    Fully agree there. Most everyone here as at one point fel 'flash cart syndrome', where you have hundreds of files available, and end up playing nothing. You have to exercise discipline when using roms/emulation/flash carts, because exactly what you said WILL happen - you'll value nothing, and play nothing.

It's actually one reason I tend not to get involved in doing that with modern consoles. My Switch games for example are all 100% legit.

Fairly sure if I'd had unlimited access to the full Switch library I wouldn't be playing half the things I am.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With the proliferation of digital stores and cheap games I'm getting it with modern consoles. My Switch is awash with tonnes of great games I can play at the touch of a button so I have to be very disciplined or I'll end up playing nothing.

Then there is my Steam/GOG library… I won't even go into that.

The worst thing about modern games though is the feel you need to be playing the latest release as soon as it comes out. Lots of times I've been playing a stone cold classic old school game and then dropped it because some modern game comes out that I end up not enjoying nearly as much. I've kind of learned now that modern big budget games are just a heap of **** with a focus on skinner box games instead of gameplay, outside the likes of games from Nintendo, Platinum, From etc.

But then you've got a vast wealth of indie games that are really worth your time. Thank god for indie games as I really think gaming would be in a stinking quagmire without it.

Ah, the days of a full R4 and several cakes of PS/DC/Wii games, and played only ten minutes past the intro on most of them!

What do you guys think of the new Mini Megadrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Danick wrote: »
    What do you guys think of the new Mini Megadrive?

I've not given mine a proper shake-down, but so far I've enjoyed it. I've not noticed the audio lag - yet - and have noticed that games run faster given they're emulated at the original 60Hz speed rather than the traditional PAL experience of 50Hz (or else I'm getting slower as I age :p ). The pads are - from what I recall - close to if not full size unlike the NES/SNES offerings which are minified so makes for a less cramped experience for those of us with bigger hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you mean proper speed rather than faster.

This has been your daily announcement from the 60Hz proper order police.

Advertisement