Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-03-2019, 09:13   #16
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse88 View Post
What about Fridays? What are people’s feelings on this? Ideally I’d prefer Saturday because most people are free but they all seemed to be booked up until 2021
Personally I wouldn't have any major issue with a Friday wedding. I've been to a few and it's actually nice to have the rest of the weekend free afterwards. However I have flexible arrangements with work that wouldn't necessarily mean I'd have to take a day of annual leave to attend.

So do just bare in mind that you'll probably get less people being able to attend on a Friday compared to a Saturday. Not a ridiculous amount less I'd imagine (compared to say a foreign wedding), but if people get invited to multiple Friday/mid-week weddings in one year, they'll have to start picking and choosing which to attend due to limited annual leave.

However at least with a Friday wedding, some people might be able to attend the afters without taking time off work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono View Post
We got married on a Saturday but I think if you are having a 2nd night you’ll get more takers if it’s on a Saturday than a Sunday, we still had a decent number but would have been more if it was Saturday imo.
When did having a 2nd day/night become the norm? It seems to be in more recent years only. I hate hate hate when weddings become a two day event. One night is enough, I need to recharge afterwards and don't like feeling pressured to shell out for a second night of accommodation on top of everything else. You get one day... ONE
Advertisement
22-03-2019, 09:49   #17
BuboBubo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck View Post
When did having a 2nd day/night become the norm? It seems to be in more recent years only. I hate hate hate when weddings become a two day event. One night is enough, I need to recharge afterwards and don't like feeling pressured to shell out for a second night of accommodation on top of everything else. You get one day... ONE
Never went to the second day/aftermath either, no idea if I'm missing anything. Just seems to add a lot more expense on everyone, is it expected nowadays?

OP, have the wedding whenever it suits you, you won't please everyone anyway.

Last edited by BuboBubo; 22-03-2019 at 09:55.
22-03-2019, 10:05   #18
Sono

Nothing is expected of anyone, we stayed the 2nd night and put on food for those who stayed around, fairly low key but enjoyable, have been to a few weddings for the 2 nights and enjoyed It, no obligation to anyone to do anything.
22-03-2019, 10:11   #19
woodchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuboBubo View Post
Never went to the second day/aftermath either, no idea if I'm missing anything. Just seems to add a lot more expense on everyone, is it expected nowadays?
It's not expected, but it does seem to be getting more common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono View Post
Nothing is expected of anyone, we stayed the 2nd night and put on food for those who stayed around, fairly low key but enjoyable, have been to a few weddings for the 2 nights and enjoyed It, no obligation to anyone to do anything.
It just always seems to be my partners friends who want to do a second day/night. Obviously I don't want to be a party pooper for my partner, so I feel obligated to go along with it for his sake. I know it's somewhat self inflicted, but figure it wouldn't be an issue if the option wasn't there to being with

To be fair, the 2nd day/night usually is more low key and enjoyable than the "big day". Honestly, I don't see why more people don't just do the low key thing INSTEAD of the big day...

Not trying to have a dig you btw Each to their own. I just didn't want the OP to think that they had to organise a day 2 on top of everything else!
Thanks from:
22-03-2019, 15:12   #20
Shelli2

We made sure to view our venue on the most miserable day possible. We are getting married in May 2020, but like another poster said, Irish weather cannot be depended on at any time of the year.
I loved the cosy feeling of the venue when it was lashing and freezing, but likewise it has fabulous gardens should the weather be in our favour.

Friday weddings are nearly the norm now for most people. I don't think it would bother any guests, certainly not close family or friends anyway.
Advertisement
01-04-2019, 18:30   #21
1perriwinkle

I wrote a blog post about what’s the best month to get married, in case you’re interested ðŸ˜႒
https://mycelebrant.ie/picking-month...ink-carefully/
02-04-2019, 13:48   #22
annoyedgal

We got married in late February. Would have loved a christmas wedding but was put off by the extra expense on guests at this time of year. February seemed like a quiet month and a good recovery time from Christmas binging!
We got our pick of suppliers as its a quiet time for weddings, negotiated a lot of extras and a discount with our venue too. Almost all pur suppliers gave a good discount due to the timing.
The evenings are starting to stretch so had light until 5 for photos. Weather was grand, sun and the odd rain shower, actually a good day for the west of ireland.
Married on a Saturday and was no issue getting one in Feb. Personally dislike friday weddings as its a day off work and can involve travelling after work on a thurs if wedding is a good bit away.
Second nights are for family only in my humble opinion, pain in the hoop for most everyone else! When i see an invite with details of a second night which you also have to rsvp to i cringe a bit to be honest!
02-04-2019, 16:52   #23
tiredblondie

I'm getting married on a Saturday in October - no chance i am doing a second day / night, i wouldn't be able for it so not going to plan it!
We do have some people staying over in the hotel the night before including myself and i'm only thinking now reading the posts, should i put on a spread for the night before?? Maybe even a couple of platters and some sandwiches etc??
04-04-2019, 10:46   #24
solerina

The word Irish is important here.
I got married ona warm dry Saturday in October, my brother got married on a cold wet day in July.
Advertisement
07-06-2019, 00:41   #25
Third_Echelon

Ours was a Saturday in August - Sun was out and weather was great.
07-06-2019, 09:30   #26
PinkLady2016

I think Summer months would be busy any months outside that would be less busy and you can pick what day you want. Were going for a January wedding and many suppliers are free then.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion