Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

04-03-2019, 20:22   #46
Paully D

Can you give us a rough example of what your property would be spending on a weekly, monthly or annual basis on the likes of staff costs, things such as linen, food and beverage supplies etc?
Advertisement
04-03-2019, 20:28   #47
I'm a hotelier, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
How basic do you have to go when training in staff (or would they always be out of some sort of training course?). What really basic obvious things do you find they don't know (one actual example I can think of was someone setting tables who didn't know the difference between a soup spoon, dessert spoon and serving spoon).
Fair question. Staff training in hotels is something that has been transformed in the last 10 years. Gone are the days of someone just being told to start on monday and being put into a dept with little or no training whatsoever. We would train staff online when they start in areas such as manual handling, general awareness training, responsible serving of alcohol, PCI compliance, GDPR, etc, progress that to practical fire safety training, first aid, and a multitude of other areas ( again as mentioned earlier, hidden costs that hotels have that people dont see )

In terms of the example you gave - all depends on the person and their abilities. Obviously some people will have better skills than others. Managers will know their team and the skill set that they have available and will get a new member of staff trained by someone competent. If they need to go to the basic level of explaining the different types of cutlery then yes we would go to that level of detail
(2) thanks from:
04-03-2019, 20:37   #48
I'm a hotelier, AMA
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paully D View Post
Can you give us a rough example of what your property would be spending on a weekly, monthly or annual basis on the likes of staff costs, things such as linen, food and beverage supplies etc?
probably wouldnt be fair to give financial information on such a forum im afraid but i will go into a small bit of detail for you

Linen - would be considerable cost to hotels. Pillowcases cost an average of 25c per unit, with each bedroom having an average of 6 pillows in it. King size duvet covers cost an average of 95c per unit, Bath sheets cost an average of 36c each so the costs are huge

Staffing costs - all depends on the operation and how big it is, how many departments the hotel has, etc etc ... hard to average this out. Labour would be the biggest cost to hotels in Ireland. Generally the irish hotel average labour cost would be around 40 - 42% so for every euro we take in, 42c goes on wages

F&B - again it all depends on the size of the operation. Food and drink isnt cheap. An 8oz chicken supreme, skin on, wing on will cost a hotel around €1.60 - €2.00 average for example and the average hotel food operation would probably operate at around 40% margin for the year. draft beer usually runs at around 50% cost, wines around 30 - 35% cost margins so average drink costs for hotels is probably around the 35% margin. Very hard to put average figures on it as there are such a varied level of operations in ireland
04-03-2019, 20:55   #49
alexmalalex
Banned

Do you know, em, what movies people have watched?
Thanks from:
04-03-2019, 21:27   #50
Firblog

In an earlier answer you alluded to the fact that hotels vary the price of their rooms based on the demand.
Given that the irish times placed the avg price of a hotel room in Dublin @ €160 per night last year, what do you think the price of the average hotel room would have been if Airbnb was not in competition with 10,000+/- rooms?
Advertisement
04-03-2019, 21:30   #51
enricoh

What percentage of personal injury claimants u've had do you reckon are bogus or over inflated?
What was the most rediculous one?
04-03-2019, 21:38   #52
Rows Grower

What's the most commonly stolen item that has to be replaced?

What's the biggest food/drink tab that someone ran up and didn't pay?
04-03-2019, 21:57   #53
Gloomtastic!
Do Not Be Afraid.....

How long do you allow for a chambermaid to clean a room/bathroom?
(3) thanks from:
04-03-2019, 22:11   #54
stop animal cruelty

What would u say in order to sell/convince a hotel job, eg waiting tables, to an Irish person?
Advertisement
04-03-2019, 22:19   #55
SirChenjin

Used to travel a fair bit for work, hence single rooms. 99.9% of the time no issues whatsoever.

Just wondering though, are the crappiest rooms sometimes allocated to the solo traveller?

One place sticks in my mind, the hotel was full according to the front desk. Didn't sleep a wink during my stay. I think the company stopped using the hotel after that.

Often read reviews of hotels saying 'we were upgraded to a suite etc'. Never in my experience. Who decides, and how?

Thanks for doing the AMA, btw.
(4) thanks from:
04-03-2019, 22:20   #56
endacl

The only thing that sprang to mind. A thought experiment...

Say you're running a hotel with a lovely view off to one side, and a bog-ordinary view off to the other. For any given time period, you have no idea how full the rooms will be. When a guest books, if they don't specifically ask for a room on the nice view side, do you give them one as a matter of policy, or do you hold off the 'nice view' rooms in case you get a load of people asking for them? Apart from the view, all rooms are identical in all regards. In this scenario you're not allowed to 'upgrade' guests after check-in, either as a goodwill gesture or at their request. In any given week you will have either one guest only, or full occupancy. You won't know in advance.

If this turns out to be a clever question, feel free to use it when recruiting staff. I suspect it won't...
Thanks from:
04-03-2019, 22:30   #57
Rows Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by endacl View Post
The only thing that sprang to mind. A thought experiment...

Say you're running a hotel with a lovely view off to one side, and a bog-ordinary view off to the other. For any given time period, you have no idea how full the rooms will be. When a guest books, if they don't specifically ask for a room on the nice view side, do you give them one as a matter of policy, or do you hold off the 'nice view' rooms in case you get a load of people asking for them? Apart from the view, all rooms are identical in all regards. In this scenario you're not allowed to 'upgrade' guests after check-in, either as a goodwill gesture or at their request. In any given week you will have either one guest only, or full occupancy. You won't know in advance.

If this turns out to be a clever question, feel free to use it when recruiting staff. I suspect it won't...
What a lovely gesture enda.
(2) thanks from:
04-03-2019, 22:32   #58

How do you deal with a screamer at four o clock in the morning on the saddle?
Thanks from:
04-03-2019, 22:32   #59
slavetothegrind

tough industry for sure.
As a regular customer, work has me staying over often, nothing is more annoying than staff who won't acknowledge you.
Sure they are busy, but a brief nod or hey i will be with you asap would go a long way.

I will say 80% of the hotels i stay in are grand. But i think for the others being cheap on customer facing staff is foolish and counterproductive.

Thanks for doing the AMA!
Thanks from:
04-03-2019, 22:34   #60
dartboardio

What are some instant no nos with new staff?

Or how can you tell straight away if someone is gonna be suited or is a good worker?

Are most people friendly?
Thread Closed