Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Independant Park Cork Gigs

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

leahyl wrote: »
    Heard was terrible and was only on for 50 minutes? She has serious anger issues that one

Terrible I'd disagree with and thought it was closer to the 60 mins. Something was up though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Only 2000 tickets sold for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Lauryn Hill was complaining to her sound engineer that the sound in her in ear monitors was wrong. Every song she was pointing at different instruments asking them to be turned up.

She played for roughly an hour, she sounded incredible and her band were tight AF.

But it seemed like it was only getting going - I had been checking up on Setlist and she usually finished with a few Fugees songs after Doo Wop, but she stormed off. Came back on a minute later, waved, stormed off again and the lights came on. Massively disappointing.

Ten song set here https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/lauryn-hill/2019/irish-independent-park-cork-ireland-7b910a94.html

I would reckon it was no more than a third full.

Great set up for a gig though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Fake news last gig in Oxford was 10 songs as well - was contracted to do 10 songs and she did them

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

I'm sure with it being in the residential area it's in, there's more restrictions than usual. Can't remember the residents kicking up a fuss so the restrictions might be tighter than other gigs in say, Croke Park. I could be wrong though.

All in all, it was a successful set of gigs. I wouldn't be a massive mcd fan but delighted they set up these series of gigs and long may it continue. It's about time Cork got decent acts playing here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

hibsman wrote: »
    Excellent gig, both acts put on a great show. First time at a gig in Musgrave Park and it was impressive as a venue. Walked into Turners Cross for a pint afterwards. Everything closed up at 11 and there were hardly any taxis. Maybe we should have headed for the city but it seemed strangely quiet around after such a big gig. Any other night bar Sunday and there may have been a better atmosphere around. Still thoroughly enjoyed the night though, hopefully more of the same next year.

I have it on good word that the pubs turned down **** loads of Support from Diageo in both advertising and venue Support - So late opening, promotions and Gizeboes.

Instead took the offer from the other major drinks player - which turned out to be nothing.

I also believe that one of the pubs outside the venue was givin the opportunity of having the same Support taken to the next level with drinks setup similar to that at goldbergs when events are on

Again - on good word from knowing two reps of both companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭fafy

flexcon wrote: »
    I have it on good word that the pubs turned down **** loads of Support from Diageo in both advertising and venue Support - So late opening, promotions and Gizeboes.

Instead took the offer from the other major drinks player - which turned out to be nothing.

I also believe that one of the pubs outside the venue was givin the opportunity of having the same Support taken to the next level with drinks setup similar to that at goldbergs when events are on

Again - on good word from knowing two reps of both companies.

i am wondering why a local pub would turn down support like this- didn’t want to upset locals, or just didn’t want to be busy ??!!

Those drinks company reps, are amongst the biggest bull****ters i have ever come across, so i wouldn’t trust anything they say to be frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

mean gene wrote: »
    Fake news last gig in Oxford was 10 songs as well - was contracted to do 10 songs and she did them

10 songs is a joke .
    Thats barely a support set never mind a headline act.

No idea what MCD were thinking putting her gig on in such a big venue after woeful sales in the 3arena.
    Probably just to try and disrupt Aiken and Live at the Marquee.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I was so shocked - one of the worst gigs/concerts I've ever attended. We were sitting at the "stands" and couldn't make out her words - but Ms. Hill just looked pd off through the whole concert - we reckon due to sound issues - but for goodness sake - say something to the crowd - apologise for sound issues make the best of it. I couldn't believe no encore - just a weak wave to the "crowd" (or lack of). I had fun with my friends - as we have fun no matter where we go or what we do - but we just looked at each in disbelief. I didn't hear one positive word when leaving event - people were disappointed and complaining. Methinx there won't be another "come back tour". Let's hope she made enough money on this tour for her conservatory, new car - whatever - as she didn't win friends in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Hardly surprising it was bad gig, she's a right clown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Other than last night's show, this seems to have been a pretty rousing success. Good crowds and no reports of any bad behaviour or anything, was there?

Hopefully it'll become a regular feature of the summer gig calendar. I didn't get to anything this year but I'll keep an eye out for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,760 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Other than last night's show, this seems to have been a pretty rousing success. Good crowds and no reports of any bad behaviour or anything, was there?

Hopefully it'll become a regular feature of the summer gig calendar. I didn't get to anything this year but I'll keep an eye out for 2020.

Yeah seemed to have gone well. I can see some of the acts that played support this year get a headline gig in the same venue in 2020

Lewis Capaldini
    Gerry Cinnamon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭fafy

Judes wrote: »
    I was so shocked - one of the worst gigs/concerts I've ever attended. We were sitting at the "stands" and couldn't make out her words - but Ms. Hill just looked pd off through the whole concert - we reckon due to sound issues - but for goodness sake - say something to the crowd - apologise for sound issues make the best of it. I couldn't believe no encore - just a weak wave to the "crowd" (or lack of). I had fun with my friends - as we have fun no matter where we go or what we do - but we just looked at each in disbelief. I didn't hear one positive word when leaving event - people were disappointed and complaining. Methinx there won't be another "come back tour". Let's hope she made enough money on this tour for her conservatory, new car - whatever - as she didn't win friends in Cork.

Looks like her sound people didn’t do a good job, but
    Anyone who bothered to look into her track record would have know all about this, which is faitly typical, and which included arriving so late for a Paris gig last November, she only played for 30minutes. She has an appaling record. I wouldn’t mind seeing her, that is, until i heard how she treats fans, eg like sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Once again, exaggeration is the theme of the day. 10 songs, on for an hour, not very good value for money from Hill but certainly nothing like what we could have feared given her track record. Sound was poor on the first song - she was drowned out by the instruments, but that was resolved by the second. She still had issues with what she was hearing but from the pitch everything sounded great - shes a notorious diva so any slight imperfections to her ear were being over exaggerated massively as she was losing her **** with the sound guy. Performance wise, apart from the length, it was spot on. Her voice and rapping skills are without compare still. Its a shame she doesnt take more care to show some love to the fans who went, but its nothing unusual for her. You buy the ticket, you accept the risks. I wouldnt be surprised if she was bipolar or something, her emotions seem to run her career for her.
    Still well worth seeing a unique and singular talent, especially when the other gigs on in the stadium are mostly 10 a penny singer songwriters.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think her set at Glasto this weekend is an hour and 15mins , it will prob be her longest set she has done :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

It was great to see Liam Gallagher in such amazing form. The crowd were really rowdy but in good spirits.

It's a pain in the hole having to go to Dublin or Belfast to see top acts. Such expense as well. This was €50. Add in maybe €30 for drink. And that's it. Dublin you'd pay more than that for the accommodation alone. I hope this is a regular thing. Cork needs this and really does have the population to support it. You have a catchment area of at least half a million people. But realistically much more than that.

He really rocked and had the whole crowd in the palm of his hand. Considering how loopers everyone was I'm glad I saw no fights. There wasn't that much security around either.

On the phone so can't link to YouTube. But if you put in Liam Gallagher Cork gig there's some great recordings of about 5 of his songs.

I honestly thought he sang a bit of Wonderwall in an Irish accent for the laugh of it. 10 out of 10.

*Sorry for the long post. I just feel strongly about this.

Advertisement