Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Armstrong Cup 2018-19

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Just awaiting the Healy-Nolan and KK-Dub games for round 2.
    The former will be played tomorrow.
    (The system to update results, having never done it before this season, is very easy to use and takes 2 minutes).
    Cdeb showed me the current iteration of the system the other day. It's a good deal handier than it was when I last used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

Benildus 4-4 Balbriggan.

League table remains fascinating at both ends (compared to previous years at least). Slow start from Benildus unexpectedly, fast start from Trinity. Dun Laoghaire have a mountain to climb.

Lots of interesting fixtures in round 3 but pick of them must be:
    Elm Mount vs Gonzaga A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Round 3 starts on Saturday.

Any update on Dublin v Kilkenny from round 2?

Hasn't been completed yet.

We've submitted Heidenfeld and Ennis for November rating. Armstrong will be rated in December now unfortunately. Hopefully 3-4 will also be submitted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Trinity 3.5 Rathmines 1.5
    Board 2 still in play.
    Boards 1 and 4 playing Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Rathminor wrote: »
    Trinity 3.5 Rathmines 1.5
    Board 2 still in play.
    Boards 1 and 4 playing Monday night.

I feared as much when I left :( but with our new board one strengthening the team greatly I don't think that relegation will be an issue
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Rathminor

Gonzaga B 8 Balbriggan 0
    Big result for both ends of the league table this round.

Rathminor wrote: »
    Gonzaga B 8 Balbriggan 0
    Big result for both ends of the league table this round.

What price Gonzaga "A" & "B" finishing first and second in the Armstrong within the next five years?
    Balbriggan can start putting the Heidenfeld venues into their Google Maps for next season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Bray 3-2 St Benildus, with the remaining games on Wednesday

Kilkenny 5-2 Dun Laoghaire
    Trinity 4.5-1.5 Rathmines

Gonzaga B 16.5/24
    Trinity 15.5/22
    Bray 12.5/21
    Kilkenny 11/18
    Elm Mount 9.5/16
    Gonzaga A 9.5/16
    Benildus 9/21
    Blanch 8.5/16
    Rathmines 8/22
    Balbriggan 6.5/24
    Dun Laoghaire 5.5/23
    Dublin 4/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 prey

gb tr br kk ga em bn bl rm bb dl db #
    gonzaga b - 2.5 6 8 16.5
    trinity - 4 4.5 7 15.5 2
    bray - 5 3 4.5 12.5 3
    kilkenny 3 - 5 3 11 6
    gonzaga a 5.5 4 - * 9.5
    elm mount * - 5.5 4 9.5
    benildus 2 - 3 4 9 3
    blanchardstown 3.5 5 - * 8.5
    rathmines 2 1.5 - 4.5 8 2
    balbriggan 0 4 3.5 - 7.5
    dun laoire 1 2 2.5 - 5.5 1
    dublin 0 4 * - 4 5

Trinity 6 Rathmines 2

Elm Mount 1-7 Gonzaga A

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Blanchardstown 4 - 4 Dublin

Our reign didn’t last long.. gaps starting to appear at the top and bottom. Up to KK and Bray to join the leading pack.
    Trinity 17/24
    Gonzaga B 16.5/24
    Gonzaga A 16.5/24
    Bray 12.5/21
    Blanch 12.5/24
    Kilkenny 11/18
    Elm Mount 10.5/24
    Benildus 9/21
    Rathmines 8.5/24
    Dublin 8/19
    Balbriggan 6.5/24
    Dun Laoghaire 5.5/23

• Registered Users Posts: 27 prey

tr ga gb br bl kk em bn rm db bb dl #
    trinity - 4 6 7 17
    gonzaga a 4 - 5.5 7 16.5
    gonzaga b 2.5 - 6 8 16.5
    bray - 4.5 5 3 12.5 3
    blanchardstown 3.5 - 5 4 12.5
    kilkenny 3 - 3 5 11 6
    elm mount 1 - 4 5.5 10.5
    benildus 2 3 - 4 9 3
    rathmines 2 2 - 4.5 8.5
    dublin 4 0 4 - 8 5
    balbriggan 0 4 3.5 - 7.5
    dun laoire 1 2 2.5 - 5.5 1

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Uff - Dun Laoire, I can fly in for a few games.

Edit - early days mind.

Joedryan wrote: »
    Uff - Dun Laoire, I can fly in for a few games.

Edit - early days mind.

Even with your valuable assistance Dun Laoire have about as much chance of avoiding relegation as your beloved Man U have of winning the Premiership :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Even with your valuable assistance Dun Laoire have about as much chance of avoiding relegation as your beloved Man U have of winning the Premiership :pac:

Great result against Juventus though ;)

Joedryan wrote: »
    Great result against Juventus though ;)

Daylight robbery after being completely outplayed for 85 minutes. It was reminiscent of their flukey champion league finals V Bayern and Chelsea.
    Mourinho really is an arse these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭macelligott

It may surprise Sodacat11, but some of us have absolutely no interest in club soccer

It may surprise Sodacat11, but some of us have absolutely no interest in club soccer
    Nothing about the members of the chess community surprises me.:D

Anyone know the results of the postponed Armstrong games that were supposed to have been played on Wednesday?

Bray 4.5-3.5 Benildus according to the Benildus website. Cdeb can probably confirm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yep; 3½-4½

Round 3 is now complete with a few team submissions to be completed/corrected (all scores now showing though).

A lot of very closely matched fixtures in round 4. First up is Benildus vs Gonzaga B where Benildus will have to shake off an uncharacteristically slow start while the Gonzaga Bs will have to prove they are "for real" if they want to keep pace with TCD and Gonzaga A (and KK if they can finish well against Dublin).

Dun Laoghaire will have their first bite at a (on paper) bottom 6 team in Blanchardstown. But Blanch have shown teeth thus far and would hope to get their second match win.

The next 2 matches; Rathmines vs Elm Mount, Dublin vs Bray, are close on paper with Rathmines now strengthed by adding Mel (and Darren) for this season.

Lastly, the league leaders, TCD, take on Balbriggan while Gonzaga A face their fourth top 6 team in 4 matches, Kilkenny. The latter match probably being the pick of the bunch if Kilkenny can call on Baburin, Quinn, McPhillips and Wallace.

Balbriggan asked for two advance games v Trinity and scored 1.5 pts today to bounce back from their Gonzaga B disaster.
    Former Polish junior international Antonina Gora played her first game for them in two years and drew with me.
    Alex Pachalov beat Gavin Melaugh.
    I think the rest of the match will be played on the scheduled date.

Does anyone know when the postponed R2 match: Dublin v Kilkenny will be played ?

Does anyone know when the postponed R2 match: Dublin v Kilkenny will be played ?

I don't know the circumstances apart from some Dublin players going to the European Club Cup - but that was ages ago now.

Also most clubs going to the Euros don't send their full Armstrong squad so they should just play their Armstrong matches anyway without those players.
    Or play their games in the match before they leave.
    The Olympiad should be the only exception allowed.

It's a disgrace this match is still outstanding, and if some boards have been played the results should be on the LCU website.

The rules need to be tightened in future to prevent this kind of thing. I would suggest a maximum two weeks after the scheduled date to complete a match, with any unplayed boards after that scored 0-0. Or if the players were already nominated but then one player couldn't make it on the agreed date then they lose.

• Advertisement

Tim,
    "Off with their heads" is what I say :-)

Advertisement