Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live TV games

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

oh ffs :rolleyes: Anyway it's hardly RTE's fault that they have a set number of games
    In fairness, RTE's coverage of GAA particularly Football is appalling. I'm not sure I've seen the main television broadcaster in any other sport spend 90% of their time running it down. It's long past time to put the tired stuff by Spillane out to an end and Brolly who just uses his platform to personally attack people and spout utter nonsense.

The "Preview Show" last week said it all, a preview show after the hurling and football championship already started. Where instead of showing highlights of those games they just an hour pushing jibberish and negativity. "There should be a tiered football championship" they said as they then refused to even show highlights from the Hurling 2nd tier matches or even discuss them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

This is time of year where you really miss T na G. If it were not for them and Eir, our games be practically anonymous for 8 months,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

GAA Beo wrote: »
    In fairness, RTE's coverage of GAA particularly Football is appalling. I'm not sure I've seen the main television broadcaster in any other sport spend 90% of their time running it down. It's long past time to put the tired stuff by Spillane out to an end and Brolly who just uses his platform to personally attack people and spout utter nonsense.

The "Preview Show" last week said it all, a preview show after the hurling and football championship already started. Where instead of showing highlights of those games they just an hour pushing jibberish and negativity. "There should be a tiered football championship" they said as they then refused to even show highlights from the Hurling 2nd tier matches or even discuss them.

Totally agree, good post.

Been said 1000 times here and elsewhere also, but how Martin Carney, Tom Carr or Martin McHugh are ever let near an analysis studio or commentary booth defies logic. The production standard of football coverage has got worse and worse over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Bonniedog wrote: »
    This is time of year where you really miss T na G. If it were not for them and Eir, our games be practically anonymous for 8 months,

I'd say TG4 would absolutely love to be able to broadcast any championship game they could. Pretty much every month that TG4 broadcast GAA Beo it tends to be their most popular program. When the inevitable B tier football championship comes in, I would say that TG4 would take the hand off the GAA to be able to broadcast every single game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Totally agree, good post.

Been said 1000 times here and elsewhere also, but how Martin Carney, Tom Carr or Martin McHugh are ever let near an analysis studio or commentary booth defies logic. The production standard of football coverage has got worse and worse over the years.

It's because of the standard RTE job for life mentality.

Once you get in the door in RTE it doesn't matter how awful a job you do, as long as you don't cause any disciplinary issues, you'll be there until you retire or die.

• Advertisement

TG4 is national treasure. Last ditch before Geordie Shore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the Galway offaly game on TV tonight?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    It's because of the standard RTE job for life mentality.

Once you get in the door in RTE it doesn't matter how awful a job you do, as long as you don't cause any disciplinary issues, you'll be there until you retire or die.

That may be the case for presenters like Michael Lyster, or Des Cahill, or the match commentators like Daragh Moloney or Ger Canning. They are all full time, permanent employees of RTE. It's not the case for the rotating list of former players of managers and players they have on doing co commentary & Sunday Game punditry. They are hired (and paid) on a per game basis. There no legal or contractual reason at all why RTE can't do a clear out of the army of piss poor, out of touch commentators & pundits & get in some fresh blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Is the Galway offaly game on TV tonight?

No. All Ireland champions first day out, and in Tullamore in front of packed house. You would imagine someone might want to show it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭howiya

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    I'd say TG4 would absolutely love to be able to broadcast any championship game they could. Pretty much every month that TG4 broadcast GAA Beo it tends to be their most popular program. When the inevitable B tier football championship comes in, I would say that TG4 would take the hand off the GAA to be able to broadcast every single game.

Why don't they broadcast the lower tier hurling championships so?

Bonniedog wrote: »
    No. All Ireland champions first day out, and in Tullamore in front of packed house. You would imagine someone might want to show it.

They might want to but then they can't show something else that might be more important later in the year.

If you were running the sports department of RTE, which game from the list they announced last week would you drop?

The TV deal should have been renogotiated when the championship structures were changed, both Sky and RTE only have a limited amount of games, makes sense that they will try to show the top games.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Patww79 wrote: »

They traditionally have shown the finals so can't imagine there is a rights conflict

Probably not, RTE seem to have some watertight deal with the GAA that dictate most things for the rest.I can't imagine it would be allowed to have McDonagh Cup games televised conflicting with anything clashing on RTE.

Although today for instance I would have watched some of them it wasn't clashing with anything. I'm casually following it this year for interest, very hard though since it's not televised and there doesn't even seem to be highlights on TV either, which is very poor IMO especially as the finalists enter the Liam McCarthy. Although maybe TG4 will show some on Monday night. I doubt Sunday game will since they didn't with nothing much on last weekend. Don't think Sky will bother either.

GAA Beo wrote: »
    Probably not, RTE seem to have some watertight deal with the GAA that dictate most things for the rest.I can't imagine it would be allowed to have McDonagh Cup games televised conflicting with anything clashing on RTE.

Although today for instance I would have watched some of them it wasn't clashing with anything. I'm casually following it this year for interest, very hard though since it's not televised and there doesn't even seem to be highlights on TV either, which is very poor IMO especially as the finalists enter the Liam McCarthy. Although maybe TG4 will show some on Monday night. I doubt Sunday game will since they didn't with nothing much on last weekend. Don't think Sky will bother either.

I seriously doubt that RTE can stop other broadcasters from showing games in the Mcadonagh Cup. Sad reality is that there's not much interest.

Kildare played christy ring today, I happened to be in Kildare today and mentioned the game to multiple people who all had no idea what I was talking about.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I seriously doubt that RTE can stop other broadcasters from showing games in the Mcadonagh Cup. Sad reality is that there's not much interest.

Kildare played christy ring today, I happened to be in Kildare today and mentioned the game to multiple people who all had no idea what I was talking about.

Ha!

That be the flourbags alright. Be all whinging then when they get to a rare Leinster final and they don't get 100,000 tickets :)

I may be being a bit OTT on RTE but I believe the GAA have a wider policy of not showing clashing championship fixtures. Although obviously today and last week there was no clash. In regard to the lower tier hurling, I'm not a hurling man, 100% football and always have been, hurling doesn't really exist in my county either so I know the feeling.

I think televising 3rd tier probably wouldn't be a goer but in the 2nd tier, Antrim are a big hurling county it's mainly hurling there. Also Laois, Westmeath and Carlow seem to have decent hurling support. Not sure on Meath/Kerry.Also a possibility Dublin could be in McDonagh cup next year if Offaly pull of a shock this year. At the very least there should be highlights on TV. But I think TG4 or Eir Sport could do a decent job showing them, after all they show club hurling/football and Ladies football, if it's on people will probably watch. I know most of the McDonagh teams are fairly unhappy at their lack of coverage/highlights.

Hopefully tv3/tg4/eir will come in and show the McDonagh Cup matches, I'd love to watch them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

42065672951_16437fa4c3_b.jpg

Hopefully tv3/tg4/eir will come in and show the McDonagh Cup matches, I'd love to watch them.
    IMO it's important to throw lower tier hurling some bones of more coverage or else things could really die off in certain areas. Even GAA podcasts don't seem to pay it much heed.

What do you know, after my moaning BBC have highlights up from Antrim lol. Nigel Elliott in super form and Carlow with 3 sent off

https://www.bbc.com/sport/gaelic-games/44096702

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What channel would give away prime Saturday night TV time to a second to third tier competition? I'm completely hurling mad but I don't know if there was any match on this evening that would make me change the channel for. There's never been so much hurling on TV, no need to have second tier games on it try to boost attendances at the game rather than padding channels

Yeah I must look, I know the plenty of the weaker football counties have their own podcasts. Didn't hear much on GAA Hour, listened to racing post GAA podcast just there it was just the main hurling. Be good if some of the bigger Irish media outlets done proper GAA podcasts, Off the Ball do sometimes have good coverage.

Clareman wrote: »
    What channel would give away prime Saturday night TV time to a second to third tier competition? I'm completely hurling mad but I don't know if there was any match on this evening that would make me change the channel for. There's never been so much hurling on TV, no need to have second tier games on it try to boost attendances at the game rather than padding channels
    I think the games were earlier in the day, but regardless I imagine TG4 or Eir Sport would take show it. Maybe they decided against, would have thought there would be more interest than club hurling but maybe not.

The GAA Hour one is comical. It's very good but they had two big long rants about coverage on the football one and then got to the games with weaker teams and treated them basically like 'who cares'.
    That said, I'd say we can expect a good 15 minutes on Laois Wexford on Monday ;)

Yeah but it's one of the best gaa podcasts around, off the ball can be very flaky depending on what games are on and seconds captains coverage is terrible.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Yeah I think the GAA Hour is a great listen Parkinson is quite good on there seems to flow pretty well and go through a fair bit. Anything else worth listening to? I heard the Dubs GAA podcast is good also. RTE one didn't seem great don't think I finished the episode I listened to.

Advertisement