Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two weeks smoke free since 1AM!

• 20-11-2017 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Here is my story.

Last year, I was in my final year at college. During my final year last year approximately November 2016, I developed symptoms which I thought were caused an intolerance to lactose. late November to April I avoided lactose and continued on with my college degree and sat my final exams in June. Remember all this while I still though I was lactose intolerant.

Finished in June and searched for employment during the summer. September I was employed in by degree which was culinary arts. Worked on until the end of october. At this stage my symptoms had got a lot worse. (I'll not go into detail as it was quite graphic). :pac:

So I thought "This isn't right!" So I had a colonoscopy which lead to a diagnoses of Crohn's disease. I was diagnosed 4-5 weeks ago, I was told that I will be called back for an M.R.I scan on the 7th of December.

So the doctor told me to attempt to become more physically active, attempt to eat healthier (Last year, while in college I literally lived on kebabs :o) and to cut down on the smoking. I was smoking 16 Pall Mall click cigarettes or Marlboro Red on special occasions.

I had my graduation a few days later, so I set a date to give up smoking shortly after. Towards the end of the night of my graduation I went to buy a box of 20 smokes from the machine in the pub. However, to my surprise there was no Pall Mall or Marlboro Red left. I decided I would buy a box of Marlboro Gold/Lights. (This was the 1st of November). Headed home after a good night out of catching up with old friends from college and chatting up a few women! :D.

Headed home and in the following days I continued to smoke Marlboro Gold. During this week I was smoking 20 a day. Due to how light they were. So Sunday the 6th came and I had my last smoke at 12 am that night.

I dug out the two boxes of nicorette inhaler's I had from failing to give them up a year previous. Since then I've been using the nicorette inhaler and have found it quite good. Sometimes I don't even change the cartridge in the inhaler. Although I plan on buying a E-cig and 0% e-juice as I really still miss the feeling I got on my throat when I used to smoke.

Since quieting: I am 2 weeks off them since 1 am this morning. I feel fantastic. I have also an app on my phone called "My quit buddy" which tracks cigs not smoked, money saved, mg of tar avoided and also gives info of the health risks of smoking. The app is displaying that I saved €123, avoided 1,386 mg of tar and have not smoked 198 Cigarettes

There has been an unbelievable improvement with my crohn's disease. I am very nearly symptom free apart from the odd stomach cramp now and again which happens rarely.

Yeah I know, the banner on my sig isn't working. :pac:

So, finally I urge everyone who is trying to quit, to keep going! If you're someone who is still smoking and reading this, to attempt to quit. While it's still early days yet for myself, I can still see all the positives in quieting. I also honestly believe that smoking was a major influence in me developing chrohn's disease. Which resulted me in taking sick leave etc. But I feel that everything happens for a reason. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

job seeker wrote: »
    Although I plan on buying a E-cig and 0% e-juice as I really still miss the feeling I got on my throat when I used to smoke.
    Look at the PG (as opposed to VG) juices for a better "throat hit". Different brands will do a better/worse job. Would advise you going to a proper vape shop as opposed to getting one of the vape pens in a shop, as they may be able to help you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭delboythedub

Well done and giving up smoking is the best present that you can yourself. I was able to ditch them 6 years ago and the early part was not easy and now I am delighted that i am not spending €120.00 + a week 😡 on those f##cking things .Very best of luck and remember that just to have one cigarette is not on as your subconscious mind will crave for nicotine for a while so you need to be strong and ask yourself do you really want to be smoking and choking as you get older, I don't think so. Promise yourself a nice treat for staying off them. I had saved my money and bought a friends Bmw and I am very sure that i would not have that car if I was still smoking. Again best of luck and Hope you stay off them .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Well done Jobseeker that's excellent - I'm only a few days ahead of you after quitting on the 1st of November - So Day 28 and like you I can see the benefits - was close to hypertension and getting monitored for High Bp - had it checked this morning and it's normal! It's so amazing to see the benefits so quickly too - the best thing we can do isn't it and it keeps you going!

well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

the_syco wrote: »
    Look at the PG (as opposed to VG) juices for a better "throat hit". Different brands will do a better/worse job. Would advise you going to a proper vape shop as opposed to getting one of the vape pens in a shop, as they may be able to help you better.

Thanks very much for that info! :) I'll definitely look into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Well done and giving up smoking is the best present that you can yourself. I was able to ditch them 6 years ago and the early part was not easy and now I am delighted that i am not spending €120.00 + a week �� on those f##cking things .Very best of luck and remember that just to have one cigarette is not on as your subconscious mind will crave for nicotine for a while so you need to be strong and ask yourself do you really want to be smoking and choking as you get older, I don't think so. Promise yourself a nice treat for staying off them. I had saved my money and bought a friends Bmw and I am very sure that i would not have that car if I was still smoking. Again best of luck and Hope you stay off them .
    Pretzill wrote: »
    Well done Jobseeker that's excellent - I'm only a few days ahead of you after quitting on the 1st of November - So Day 28 and like you I can see the benefits - was close to hypertension and getting monitored for High Bp - had it checked this morning and it's normal! It's so amazing to see the benefits so quickly too - the best thing we can do isn't it and it keeps you going!

well done!

Thanks very much for the support folks! Ah the benefits certainly out way the reasons to stay smoking no doubt about it! Both of ye have made fantastic progress. Keep it up guys and best of luck!! :)

I think a great video to watch is Allen Carr's video! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Oliviageorge

thats great

Advertisement