Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

C64 Mini

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Well the Spectrum Next piddles all over the C64 mini, but it does cost more. Being Fpga the Next does a million and a one things more than the mini which is a glorified emulator. The Next could even be a C64 if it wanted. I know some people like brown n blocky :pac:

So no contest with those two :)

There was a kickstarter update on the Next today too. Board only version is shipping on the 27th Nov. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Firefox11 wrote: »
    There was a kickstarter update on the Next today too. Board only version is shipping on the 27th Nov. :)

Yeah, exciting, I still have to wait for (hopefully) January for mine, but I am looking forward to seeing what people do with their boards.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Would like to get my hands on the soft aid tape again. Hope someone gets this out soon. Playing falcon patrol, gumshoe, gilligans gold and the others in 2018. Sweet as a nut.

I had that back in the day. Great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Just preordered on Amazon just in time for my birthday in february !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

You do all know that this C64mini is by the same guys who have yet to ship there last crowdfunded project ? In fact there are doing this one to raise (more) funds to finish the other projects, so I don't have much faith in them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll be waiting for it's release to see if it's

1: An actual thing that'll make it to retail
    and
    B: Worth buying when I have a C64 already.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

You do all know that this C64mini is by the same guys who have yet to ship there last crowdfunded project ? In fact there are doing this one to raise (more) funds to finish the other projects, so I don't have much faith in them.

I actually funded that project, looking for the handheld version. At any time I could have looked for my money back, but decided to wait and see where this would end up.

The story now is that the Handheld may never happen, but as it stands I'm looking to receive, as per their e-mails:

Anyone who backed the handheld version or pre-ordered it prior to today will instead be given both THEC64 MINI and a full-size THEC64 plus bonus goodies.
    This means that you’ll be getting:
    • A special limited edition THEC64 MINI package, as described above
    • PLUS a full sized THEC64
    • PLUS a signed and numbered, limited edition print of the commissioned artwork by David Rowe
    PLUS the promise that when we are able to focus on the handheld, you’ll get a significant discount if you decide to purchase one on release.

It's over a year and a half of waiting, so I'm going to just write off what I paid and hope they come through with something at this stage, although I really wanted the handheld!

I don't completely trust any one from the Vega + debacle, but the truth is Paul Andrews and Chris Smith were part of the team that released the (underwhelming imo but pretty much exact same idea as C64 mini) Sinclair Vega successfully and jumped ship very early on in the Vega Plus story and are no longer involved, unless you consider legal action from both sides and bitching in social media involved :)

So whilst I don't rate them too highly either, they have finished a project before and sold it.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'll be waiting for it's release to see if it's

1: An actual thing that'll make it to retail
    and
    B: Worth buying when I have a C64 already.

1: Probably
    B: I'd say absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Who wants an Oric 48K mini!!!? (sound of crickets)

Aww.. Puts tapes back in attic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I can't see it having any sort of mass appeal or success at all. These things live on their software, and as much as I loved my C64 at the time, I don't think the games stand the test of time at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I can't see it having any sort of mass appeal or success at all. These things live on their software, and as much as I loved my C64 at the time, I don't think the games stand the test of time at all.

Having revisited a lot of classic games over the years, including the 8bit stuff and earlier, you'd be surprised how good some titles remain, even with all the advancements in tech in the intervening years.
    Case and point is Uridium, it remains a classic shooter, with an original approach to the genre and one that was never replicated outside of sequels and remakes, both authorised and not.
    Looking through the games list, there's plenty that stand up in a similar way, and the list begs to be played through.
    Of course, if you have a PC or a RPi you can already play these without the outlay, but that's not the point.
    Here you can buy official hardware in a nice format.
    I'm not sure I'll be buying it, I was a Speccy nut rather than a C64 fan and I have the original computer so I'd be more likely to invest in a flash cart of some description instead, play them on original hardware.
    But, to those that don't have a C64 tucked away and enjoyed the games the first time around, I think there's plenty to look forward to with this device.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Just got email from Amazon and launch date pushed till April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

ThisRegard wrote: »

Thats true however we are seeing a rebirth of some of the old developers of the day like Thalamus releasing updated titles like their Hunter's Moon kickstarter. They are going to be doing games for the spectrum next too.

Few production photos of the device here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f3IKUuJ9Gu2RewOy2

First shipment of c64 minis has left the building:

Amazing THEC64 news, as the first batch of THEC64 mini’s makes its way from the factory, onto the sea port for shipping to Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

One of the comments on the Facebook post said they had pre-ordered on Smyth's and wanted to know if there was a date for release there. The reply was "Dates coming soon".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

How many of you have ordered this,

How do I do a poll?

Do I need this?

eddhorse wrote: »
    How many of you have ordered this,

How do I do a poll?

Do I need this?

Does Eddhorse need a C64 Mini
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Atari Jaguar

The guys behind the mini have got some production units in the office today. Some pics here:

http://www.retro-now.com/thec64-mini-is-coming/

On target for March shipment.

Just don't see the attraction with this. Emulation, in non working keyboard case, with joystick that looks exactly the same as the plug and play job, all the same buttons and everything.

They've gone from a really interesting looking handheld or full size, fully functional, reproduction, to a fancy case, just looks like a total cop out from where they started from.

• Advertisement

@Tom - the full size version is coming later, as far as I know.

New promo video released today (Release date confirmed as March 29th):

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Mr E wrote: »
    Jumping on the mini bandwagon, a C64 mini was announced today. 64 fully licensed games are included. There are A LOT of great games there, but some questionable choices too. If sideloading is possible (like Hakchi on the NES classic), this will be even better.

Love the competition pro controller too. :)
    (I hope it has microswitches and is nice and clicky!)

£69.99, out next year.
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/29/commodore-64-mini-console-coming-out-in-2018-with-over-35-games-6965332/

AlleyKat
    Anarchy
    Armalyte: Competition Edition
    Avenger
    Battle Valley
    Bounder
    California Games
    Chip’s Challenge
    Confuzion
    Cosmic Causeway: Trailblazer II
    Creatures
    Cyberdyne Warrior
    Cybernoid II: The Revenge
    Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine
    Deflektor
    Everyone’s A Wally
    Firelord
    Gribbly’s Day Out
    Hawkeye
    Heartland
    Herobotix
    Highway Encounter
    Hunter's Moon
    Hysteria
    Impossible Mission
    Impossible Mission II
    Insects In Space
    Mega-Apocalypse
    Mission A.D
    Monty Mole
    Monty on the Run
    Nebulus
    Netherworld
    Nobby the Aardvark
    Nodes Of Yesod
    Paradroid
    Pitstop II
    Rana Rama
    Robin Of The Wood
    Rubicon
    Skate Crazy
    Skool Daze
    Slayer
    Snare
    Speedball
    Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe
    Spindizzy
    Star Paws
    Steel
    Stormlord
    Street Sports Baseball
    Summer Games II
    Super Cycle
    Temple of Apshai Trilogy
    The Arc Of Yesod
    Thing Bounces Back
    Thing on a Spring
    Trailblazer
    Uchi Mata
    Uridium
    Who Dares Wins II
    Winter Games
    World Games
    Zynaps

ninja 12 wrote: »

Great to see Paradroid , but it's a pity there's no Last Ninja games , Boulderdash , Turrican , IO ( impossible to please everybody :) )

Hopefully they can be added .

I see the games list has changed slightly .

They must have read my earlier post , Boulderdash and IO have been added :D:D

The ones on the new list I remember owning are -
    Armalyte
    Boulderdash
    California Games
    Chip's Challenge
    Creatures
    Cyberdine Warrior
    Cybernoid (Can't remember if I had the first / second or both )
    Gribbly's Day Out
    Hunter's Moon
    IO
    Paradroid
    Speedball
    Thing Bounces Back (looks familiar , I think I owned it , can't remember )
    Uridium

Full updated new list here -
    https://thec64.com/games/
    AlleyKat,
    Anarchy,
    Armalyte: Competition Edition,
    Avenger,
    Battle Valley,
    Boulder Dash,
    Bounder,
    California Games,
    Chip’s Challenge,
    Confuzion, Creatures,
    Cyberdyne Warrior,
    Cybernoid: The Fighting Machine,
    Cybernoid II: The Revenge,
    Deflektor,
    Everyone’s A Wally,
    Firelord,
    Gribbly’s Day Out,
    Hawkeye,
    Heartland,
    Herobotix,
    Highway Encounter,
    Hunter’s Moon,
    Hysteria,
    Impossible Mission,
    Impossible Mission II,
    IO,
    Jumpman,
    Mega Apocalypse,
    Mission A.D,
    Monty Mole,
    Monty on the Run,
    Nebulus,
    Netherworld,
    Nobby the Aardvark,
    Nodes Of Yesod,
    Paradroid,
    Pitstop II,
    Rana Rama,
    Robin Of The Wood,
    Rubicon,
    Skate Crazy,
    Skool Daze,
    Snare,
    Speedball,
    Speedball II: Brutal Deluxe,
    Spindizzy,
    Star Paws,
    Steel,
    Street Sports Baseball,
    Summer Games II (inc. Summer Games I),
    Super Cycle,
    Temple of Apshai Trilogy,
    The Arc Of Yesod,
    Thing on a Spring,
    Thing Bounces Back,
    Trailblazer,
    Cosmic Causeway: Trailblazer II,
    Uchi Mata,
    Uridium,
    Who Dares Wins II,
    Winter Games,
    World Games,
    Zynaps.
    Mr E wrote: »

New promo video released today (Release date confirmed as March 29th):

Looking at the video , it looks like a similar way of saving as on the NES MINI , with 4 save slots per game .
    :)

Well that's a game changer, if they've added boulder dash, people will buy this just to play it

Edit _dunno where the thumbs down thing came from, texting here

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Los Lobos wrote: »
    Well that's a game changer, if they've added boulder dash, people will buy this just to play it

Edit _dunno where the thumbs down thing came from, texting here

I think they said games can be added by owners anyway but I'm glad Boulderdash will be playable out of the box .

I still fire up a fan made remake on the pc every now and then (Boulder Remake) , and have Boulder Dash - 30th Anniversary on Steam , but I'm still looking forward to this :)

I'm tempted but never played the last C64 plug'n play I bought, I wouldn't hold of hope for this one either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not sure if posted already

Hands on video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The C64 Mini is up on HotUKDeals today.. with an Amazon release date of March 29th.

The C64 Mini £62.99 Prime // £64.99 Non-prime @ Amazon

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/the-c64-mini-6299-prime-6499-non-prime-amazon-2890915

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0764BK6L1

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I don't need one, I probably won't play it, the games won't be as good as I remember and it'll be a nightmare to press 'up' the jump again.

I hate that I'm going to end up getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

Jeff minter has had his hands on one the last couple of days and have to say its looking 👌

• Advertisement

Looking what? Mobile emojis don't work on Boards.

Advertisement