Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sailing & Boating on the Telly

• 01-08-2016 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭

Here's a thread where posters can let others know of any sailing or boating related stuff on the TV.

I'll start the ball rolling....
    Irish TV on Sky ch 191 are showing the GC32 Racing Tour. its foiling cats racing in nice venues around Europe. its been on a fair bit recently at around 2.30pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Olympic sailing on rte 2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Also on BBC Olympic channel 5 for those on Sky who don't have RTE News Now!

not quite the telly box but rte have olympic sailing up on their website, think they show it live aswell but no commentary it seems to be just live feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Anybody know if/where I can catch Annalise Murphy's medal race live today?

If not, any recommendations for live status updates/commentary?

Dr Pepper wrote: »
    Anybody know if/where I can catch Annalise Murphy's medal race live today?

If not, any recommendations for live status updates/commentary?
    It'll be shown live on RTE telly, and presumably the BBC as well as they have a girl in the medal race.

5.05pm is the scheduled start time.

There's a tracker that you can follow (although it's a bit crap!) at http://static.sportresult.com/federations/isaf/UnityData/Sailviewer3D/WebPlayer_solg.html?event=135&pm=3d&v=104

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Came across it on WI website, Waterways related telly:

"Filming has commenced for the new UTV Ireland show 'Along Home Shores'. The eight part series is focusing on the Waterways of Ireland with each show examining inland, costal and off shore lives in a different region of the country. Taking the helm is Newstalk Presenter, Bobby Kerr, best known for his coffee chain Insomnia and his role as an investor on Dragon's Den. As he travels the country Bobby is meeting locals and businesses who live, play and work on the waterways.

So far the crew have made their way along the Lower Bann, the Grand Canal, Lough Erne and more recently along the Shannon stopping in Carrick-on-Shannon and Lough Key Forest Park in Boyle.

The eight part series will go to air on Monday nights on UTV Ireland this autumn. "

http://afloat.ie/sail/events/vendee-globe/item/33719-enda-o-coineen-ready-for-vendee-globe-challenge-appearing-on-late-late-show-tonight
    Enda O'Coineen will be on The Late Late Show tonight talking about his upcoming madness participation in the Vendée Globe race.

RTE1 tonight at 7
    #OnTV - Clontarf’s new-build classic wooden dinghy Wicked Sadie will feature on RTÉ One’s Nationwide programme this evening at 7pm.

Nationwide’s team spent two days filming ‘Number 166’ and the build crew, both on the water and off, before her official maiden sailing.

http://afloat.ie/resources/maritime-tv-programmes/item/34120-see-new-idra-14-wicked-sadie-on-rte-s-nationwide-tonight

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Tonight at 8pm on Irish TV, SKY channel 191, will see the launch of Paul's brand new series, Treyvaud Travels The Shannon. An 8 part series showcasing The Shannon and it's surrounding towns and villages as a world class premium tourist destination.
    So please share that the show starts tonight at 8pm for 8 consecutive Tuesdays on SKY 191, Freesat 400 and online on IrishTV.ie We have over 3 million people watching us per week from the UK and Ireland alone. This show will also be broadcast to over 40 million homes in North America and if everyone could tweet with the hashtag #TreyvaudTravels.
    So don't forget tonight at 8pm (Irish time) on Irish TV!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Along home shores with Bobby Kerr on UTV Ireland at 7.30 tonight.

• Advertisement

Sky CH 191 Irish TV
    Next Friday evening 8pm
    A Grand Experience
    A voyage aboard 68M along the Grand Canal

Atlantic' on RTÉ One Thur 8 Dec 2016 at 10.15pm.

Best Irish Documentary, Dublin International Film Festival 2016
    Best Environmental Documentary, Chagrin Documentary Film Festival 2016, USA
    Most Outstanding Film, Wexford Documentary Film Festival 2016

Narrated by Emmy-award winning actor Brendan Gleeson, Atlantic follows the struggles of three fishing communities in Ireland, Norway and Newfoundland, as they battle with the oil explorers and international fishing companies for control of the resources in their waters.

Sunday February 5th at 9.30pm on RTÉ One. http://www.rte.ie/tv/roomtoimprove/this_week.html might be worth a look I think this the guy that builds the Mermaid's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Watched the start of the Film 'Lost' - on Film 4 tonight - gave up after 15 minutes or so, total rubbish. It had so many basic errors in that short timeframe it was beyond redemption and could only get worse.

"Hunt for the arctic ghost ship" well worth a look, maybe I can get them to come and give me a hand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Donie75

Britain by Boat on Channel 5, Friday evenings at 20.00

Donie75 wrote: »
    Britain by Boat on Channel 5, Friday evenings at 20.00
    What's that about?

Can't figure out how to get Channel 5 on my telly!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What's that about?

Can't figure out how to get Channel 5 on my telly!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/nov/23/britain-by-boat-2-grumpy-sailors-review-michael-buerk-john-sergeant

If you have Sky, you can get it be doing the following

Services - Add Channels -

Frequency: 10964
    Polarisation: Horizontal (H)
    Symbol rate (Mbaud): 22.0
    FEC: 5/6

Then search for it, and it should be found, select Channel 5 and select add to channels, then select save. It should then show up in your 'Other Channels' tab in the Services menu.

Of course if you don't have Sky, the above information will be useless for which I apologise.

• Advertisement

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/nov/23/britain-by-boat-2-grumpy-sailors-review-michael-buerk-john-sergeant

If you have Sky, you can get it be doing the following

Services - Add Channels -

Frequency: 10964
    Polarisation: Horizontal (H)
    Symbol rate (Mbaud): 22.0
    FEC: 5/6

Then search for it, and it should be found, select Channel 5 and select add to channels, then select save. It should then show up in your 'Other Channels' tab in the Services menu.

Of course if you don't have Sky, the above information will be useless for which I apologise.

Thanks.

Did all of the above and there's either something up with Sky or something up with my box. Have a thread open in the Talk To forum to try and sort it out.

Thanks.

Did all of the above and there's either something up with Sky or something up with my box. Have a thread open in the Talk To forum to try and sort it out.

Jaysus, the review has taken the edge off the urgency to get the problem sorted :eek:

Thanks.

Those codes I've quoted may have changed, as they usually do every now and again, so Sky would be best placed to provide the latest codes!

It's gas, They don't officially give ITV & Channel 5 to Ireland, yet will still happily show you how to still get them via their box.

Jaysus, the review has taken the edge off the urgency to get the problem sorted :eek:

I'd always take reviews on shows like this with a pinch of salt, there could still be plenty there for folks involved ind into boating/sailing. Enough to make it half interesting anyway.

Here is a nice documentary about Jill & Giles who work and live on the barge hawthorn, you may have heard me mention Giles before as he helps out in the search for "Old's Cool" and has made a few boat covers for me over the years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Watched the start of the Film 'Lost' - on Film 4 tonight - gave up after 15 minutes or so, total rubbish. It had so many basic errors in that short timeframe it was beyond redemption and could only get worse.

Was that 'All is Lost'?

Watched All is Lost last night on Netflix.

If you are not a sailor it's probably an o.k. film.

If you are a sailor it's as per pedroeibar1 comment above!

I enjoyed All is Lost.

Its more of a survival film as opposed to a sailing film. One man’s will to survive a series of terrible setbacks if you will.

I must say I loved All Is Lost - but went with a gang of sailors and the nitpicking postmortem afterwards was hilarious :D

12pm today the AZAB (Azores and Back) race start is being broadcast live on the Royal Cornwall Yacht Club fb page - single- and double-handed boats racing to the Azores and then back again, about 1000 miles each way :eek:.

For those familiar with the ISORA racing scene, there are two ISORA boats competing - Polished Manx (Kuba Szymanski) and A.J. Wanderlust (Charlene Howard), both two-handed.

Good luck to them!!!

• Advertisement

"The finest hours" tonight at 9:00 on RTE2

image_zpsebbcsb0f.jpg

Advertisement