Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2014, 13:59   #16
scudzilla

Nothing needs changing IMO, great forum with hardly any idiots, get the odd one but even then it's not like other forums in that the posters just don't bite and antagonize the troll.

Same as any Rock/Metal bars i frequent, hardly any hassle, we all look after each other unlike the 'trendy' places
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-07-2014, 07:13   #17
Lyaiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfail.com View Post
I'm really just a lurker on here for the most part, but the forum is called "rock and metal", and I think many people forget about the "rock" part.
I agree with this about people forgetting the "rock" part. And I agree with the mods that a "classic rock" forum seems unnecessary and might have done a little damage.

I'll often come in here after listening to punk (a kind of rock,) folk rock, straight up "classic" rock, noise rock, etc. and think maybe it's a bit too not-metal/not-hard-rock for this forum. There's even a band I'm listening to now that are definitely rock based on their instruments and style but you could argue make a sound that's so different to what's typically rock that at best they're avant-garde rock and that some people could argue doesn't have a place on any forum here.

Rock is such a huge genre of music, and it could be argued that so much music is rock or rock inspired and it doesn't have that much of a presence here.

I mean, I like metal, I'm just not as dedicated to it as some people. I'm not dedicated to any particular form of music and my tastes are wide ranging and sometimes it seems this forum is particularly focused on particular styles.

And I know that this forum doesn't set out to be that way, it just comes across that way. There's not a lot that can be done about it apart from me posting more about those kind of bands.
28-07-2014, 11:41   #18

Fair points about the forum split, but maybe part of the reason you don't see a lot of classic rock discussion is because most of the bands aren't releasing any new music or doing anything, so there's not a whole lot to talk about? Might be the reason why the classic rock forum is so barren as it is. So I think it's kinda overestimating the effect a separate forum can have on this one, Rock & Metal has been thundering along on it's own steam for ages. If you took the traffic of Classic Rock and added it to here, would it result in much more than a couple of extra posts a week?

I think there is plenty of discussion to have on rock bands though, one look at the front page, and you've got gigantic threads about Pearl Jam and Guns'n'Roses that are massively popular, so we have that going for us I don't think anyone should feel that there's not a space for rock here, because if I can fit all my Visual Kei stuff in here, then there's a place for anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_frosch View Post
On a negative note I think this forum is in Music section so I would like to keep discussions more music related, also it wasn't invented as a comedy club or some place to make jokes of Rock/Metal fans but if moderators think that it is okay then I just ignore threads that annoy me.
If this is about my "The funny side of..." thread, then I'd like to make it clear that it's not meant to make jokes OF Rock/Metal fans, it's a bit of fun where fans laugh with each other
02-08-2014, 14:42   #19
Kess73

Send a message via Yahoo to Kess73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyaiera View Post
I agree with this about people forgetting the "rock" part. And I agree with the mods that a "classic rock" forum seems unnecessary and might have done a little damage.

I'll often come in here after listening to punk (a kind of rock,) folk rock, straight up "classic" rock, noise rock, etc. and think maybe it's a bit too not-metal/not-hard-rock for this forum. There's even a band I'm listening to now that are definitely rock based on their instruments and style but you could argue make a sound that's so different to what's typically rock that at best they're avant-garde rock and that some people could argue doesn't have a place on any forum here.

Rock is such a huge genre of music, and it could be argued that so much music is rock or rock inspired and it doesn't have that much of a presence here.

I mean, I like metal, I'm just not as dedicated to it as some people. I'm not dedicated to any particular form of music and my tastes are wide ranging and sometimes it seems this forum is particularly focused on particular styles.

And I know that this forum doesn't set out to be that way, it just comes across that way. There's not a lot that can be done about it apart from me posting more about those kind of bands.

I think the best way for people to get rock discussions going is to take the time to start them.

Is probably one of the best forums on the site in terms of tolerance for other people's tastes/POVs, so anyone that wants to discuss anything that falls under the rock banner should do so. If there is an interest then the thread will grow, and if not then it will slip off the page quickly enough.

I know personally that I would be more than happy to see chat about the Gaslight Anthem sitting alongside chat about Anthrax, or threads about Middle Class Rut talking place alongside threads about Mastodon.

Good music is good music, and anything that means there is a chance of getting to check out music that one may not have checked out before can only be a good thing imo.
(2) thanks from:
05-08-2014, 15:49   #20
Cleveland Hot Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post

I wouldn't say that, but you're not the first person to think so. A few years back Dr. Bollocko pushed real hard for a classic rock forum, a split I felt unnecessary, and if you go over there now you'll see it's pretty inactive. Threads from March still on the first page.
I don't think it was good to split the community. Discussion on all rock is welcome here so feel free to start the discussion!
+1

And I think a R&M beers should happen again. I went to a few back, oh, must be a good couple of years at this stage, ago.

Maybe in Bruxelles or the Gypsy Rose? I know the meets were held in the new fibbers the last ones I attended anyway.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-08-2014, 22:58   #21

We do need a beers, I remember trying to organize one but that kinda fell apart
Thanks from:
12-08-2014, 16:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links234 View Post
We do need a beers, I remember trying to organize one but that kinda fell apart
One week since your post not a single Thank was given and you know why? Because true metallers don't drink beers we drink blood.
Thanks from:
13-08-2014, 04:39   #23
Lyaiera

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_frosch View Post
One week since your post not a single Thank was given and you know why? Because true metallers don't drink beers we drink blood.
That would be vampires Ted.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion