Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend photos

• 04-09-2012 4:30pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Launched at butlers marina with the help of forum member Moonshadow who also offered me bed & breakfast dinner and drinks on board his cruiser for the weekend

419299_3985286068804_662699339_n.jpg

Heading for Drumsna for the night.

387020_3985290628918_911654265_n.jpg

20120831_184539.jpg

Up to Albert lock was stunning.

294438_3985400871674_1744483476_n.jpg

20120831_175841.jpg

20120831_174856.jpg
    20120831_175347.jpg

20120831_182427.jpg

20120831_182434.jpg

In Drumsna we met up with a few more members from the powerboat and carrick branch that were running a care day for special needs kids on the saturday.

20120831_193636.jpg

The skippers meeting went on long into the night

20120901_003849.jpg

Next morning we set off for Roosky to bring the kids to "waterside adventure centre"
    The other way.

20120831_185909.jpg

20120831_164148.jpg

There must have been about 20 boats with us by the time we got to Roosky including the famous barge Rambler, all in all a great day was had by the kids and a great day and night was had by us

2012-09-02080145.jpg

2012-09-02075745.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Look fantastic fergal, a real credit to you, a real nice part of the world too, for the job in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭whacker1982

thats one sweet looking ride fergal, well wear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

I love that stretch along the Jamestown Cut. And the bridge at Rooskey reminds me of the time many years ago I broke the mast of a dinghy under tow going under it. Please don't ask!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Some not so white water rafting.:D

IMG_2022_zps21176a25.jpg

IMG_2025_zpsd0388332.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Looking good Feargal. Must get myself one of those "Captain Birds Eye" tee shirts! Nice pics!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Some of you must be out on the water with this weather so post a photo :) I'm stuck here sanding but hope to go down to lough Ree next weekend. I need a fix :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,669 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Looks fantastic - brings back happy memories of a cruising holiday many years ago out of Carrick.

That boat is just gorgeous, Fergal. How's the new one coming along?

I'm just back from racing in Malta and Sicily - it was just brilliant, but I've more pics of us and the scenery than of boats - and looking forward to the DL Regatta this weekend. Happy days :D

Some of us in the sailing confraternity never saw the water on Sunday as racing was cancelled in Skerries due to lack of wind. Saturday was beautiful but I was saving it up until Sunday. Still, the garden got some badly needed attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Sunday went for a sail (solo) up the Kenmare River - beautiful day, mainly 10 but periodic gusts (under cloud squalls) of 20 knots SW wind, tiring beat back out against wind and tide. Thankfully I have a furling genny so it was easier to manage the squalls.
    Large building (Adm. chart - Hotel-conspic) on foreshore is Parknasilla Hotel, Reeks in background.
    I saw just 2 other yachts and a couple of small dayfishers - a totally unspoilt area.
    Sorry for no auto insert/link, Flickr a/c is giving me grief.

Looks stunning - envy you!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm just back from racing in Malta and Sicily - it was just brilliant, ............... Happy days :D

Do tell, when you get a chance! I'd be tempted by something like that, despite having given up the hurly burly of rounding cans for a more leisurely pace, no worries about organizing crew and the knowledge that I will have a cool beer/tonic/wine in the bilge when I go looking for it!;)

Was it a warm-up for the Middle Sea Race? I didn't think they had qualifiers?:confused:

Do tell, when you get a chance! I'd be tempted by something like that, despite having given up the hurly burly of rounding cans for a more leisurely pace, no worries about organizing crew and the knowledge that I will have a cool beer/tonic/wine in the bilge when I go looking for it!;)

Was it a warm-up for the Middle Sea Race? I didn't think they had qualifiers?:confused:

It's a boat belonging to friends of mine - I did the Round Ireland and a couple of Fastnets on it a few years back, and then they decided to decamp to warmer waters. They did the Middle Sea last year (but had to retire for lack of wind), and are planning to do it again this year. This was just a group of us that had raced on a 31.7 last summer (including one of the the owners of the Med boat, in the absence of his own boat) - they agreed to let us loose on it, and we found a regatta weekend with a passage race to Sicily, two days W/L in Sicily, and another race back to Valletta. It was fiercly competitive stuff! We got pipped into second place on countback by a boat crewed by young fit fellas - we worked out afterwards that the average age on our boat was 52.1 - if theirs hit even 22.1 we'd have been amazed! So we claimed a moral victory among ourselves!

Anyway, it was such a thrill racing on such a competitive boat, in brilliant conditions (25+ knots both W/L days) with all that sunshine! I'm hoping and praying that they decide to do it all again next year :D

Now THAT is sailing! Congrats on the result, no mean feat in those waters at any age (even if it is averaged!)
    P
    PS Talking Fastnet, did you see that Jim Sheridan has bought the rights to the Grimalkin book and is going to make a film of the 79 race? Bit about it in the Sunday Times.

Now THAT is sailing! Congrats on the result, no mean feat in those waters at any age (even if it is averaged!)
    P
    PS Talking Fastnet, did you see that Jim Sheridan has bought the rights to the Grimalkin book and is going to make a film of the 79 race? Bit about it in the Sunday Times.

Thanks!

Bah, the one weekend I don't buy the ST..... I'll keep my eyes and ears peeled for news of it anyway. Last Fastnet I did, Grimalkin was out in the Solent with a big banner on the side wishing all competitors good luck in the race as we headed for the start line. A lovely, heartwarming sight :) Fair play to them.

P1010073.JPG

Nostalgic to see Grimalkin again. She lost her mast when she pitchpoled and I think she also was rolled. That’s why the RORC brought in the rules on battery straps, bolts on everything including washboards: too many injuries (including the serious injury to her skipper/owner) were caused by flying objects. She appears to have been re-rigged with the original fractional rig, with runners, although were I to have a furling genny I would have changed the rig to get rid of the runners.

If the film is ever made (not all projects make it that far) it will cause more conflict as I think the remaining crew remain quite divided. The ‘Left for Dead’ book was co-written with a novelist and (years since I read it) my recollection is of some basic errors and an effort to spice things up a bit. Hopefully the film might give a bit from the 'other side', as the crew / book author was rescued as a result of a RAF chopper going out to her at the insistance of those who had taken to the liferaft.

Another bit of trivia - Grimalkin's sister ship was Silver Mite, used to race in Dublin Bay in the ‘80’s and ‘90’s. Another very similar Ron Holland design was Feanor, also sailed in the Bay in the same era.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

If the film is ever made (not all projects make it that far) it will cause more conflict as I think the remaining crew remain quite divided. The ‘Left for Dead’ book was co-written with a novelist and (years since I read it) my recollection is of some basic errors and an effort to spice things up a bit. Hopefully the film might give a bit from the 'other side', as the crew / book author was rescued as a result of a RAF chopper going out to her at the insistance of those who had taken to the liferaft.

I read/watched footage of the fastnet 79 recently and both sides do appear incredibly divided still :(

Heidi, that sounds a fab holiday, I spent 14 weeks in Malta last year, and the amount of boats there was unreal.

Great time of year for it too, not yet too hot!

Fergal, congratulations on the launch, well wear, fantastic to see a result like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

My boat is in the back ground of the first picture the one with the punt hanging awkwardly on the davitts.

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/Care%20day/419299_3985286068804_662699339_n.jpg

boldspirit wrote: »
    My boat is in the back ground of the first picture the one with the punt hanging awkwardly on the davitts.

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/fergalbutler/Care%20day/419299_3985286068804_662699339_n.jpg

It's a nice spot we also had our classic run there this year as Paul Garland is a member of the Powerboat branch in fact a few members have boats there :) , I'd say the new decking is getting plenty of use with this weather :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

unfortunately I haven't been down much this year, got the end caps and fitted them only to find that the rad caps were ready for retirement. Ordered new ones yesterday so hopefully I'll be back cruising next weekend. wouldn't mind a bbq on that decking today ....

My new favorite place to stay. :D

20130712_134956_zps42f9190b.jpg

20130712_154253_zps32cfc875.jpg

20130712_165249_zps460f8dc2.jpg

20130712_165305_zpsce23d13e.jpg

20130712_174954_zps39a525bb.jpg

Heading back from Hodson bay.

20130712_202851_zpsb14775e0.jpg

I had to pull one of those new plastic boats:) out of the reads and tow it back to the marina, I think my engine was older than the combined age of every one on board :D

20130712_204954_zpse9506694.jpg

20130712_205937_zps7b57eabf.jpg

20130712_205959_zpsae084aaa.jpg

20130712_210021_zpsfee91034.jpg

Bed for the night.

20130712_212407_zpsb90a887e.jpg

Now that's a room with a view.

20130712_211537_zps3368a58f.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Some pics from the dun laoghaire regattA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

neris wrote: »
    Some pics from the dun laoghaire regattA
    Holy fek, what an event.. the weather was fantastic. There hasn't been a Dublin bay week like that in a long time!

More from DL at weekend. Not sure how to get the pics to display in message so sorry for attachments

Steve wrote: »
    Holy fek, what an event.. the weather was fantastic. There hasn't been a Dublin bay week like that in a long time!

There hasn't been a Dun Laoghaire regatta like that EVER!!

The first one was similar weather, but no wind - I have memories of floating around in ridiculous sunshine and heat for 8.5 hours on the Saturday, on a boat with no loo.... the things we did to amuse ourselves.... we rafted all the Sonatas (11 of them if memory serves, ah God be with the days......) up and started a disco on the foredecks, then fired up all the outboards (which all idled at slightly differing speeds) and tried to drive the raft around the place.....

Neris, you weren't racing in C3 by any chance??? I recognise a lot of boats in your pics. Sadly we were too far back to feature in them! It wasn't exactly our finest outing....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Incredible weekend doesn't even begin to describe the DL regatta.

I was out performing very poorly in dinghies. Saying my bruises have bruises doesn't even begin to cover the exhaustion, but it was absolutely amazing.

There are some fabulous photos up on oceansport.ie fotosail.ie and aidan tarbetts website if you're interested.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Neris, you weren't racing in C3 by any chance??? I recognise a lot of boats in your pics. Sadly we were too far back to feature in them! It wasn't exactly our finest outing....:D

Was racing in class 2 but was meant to be in class 3 but lack of crew meant boat didn't go. Most of the pics are from friday when 2 & 3s were on same course. Was one of the better dl regattas weather wise. Very little postponments & wind was consistent even if it was light. Good race officers who didn't send us off on a procession around the bay was a big help

Was racing in class 2 but was meant to be in class 3 but lack of crew meant boat didn't go. Most of the pics are from friday when 2 & 3s were on same course. Was one of the better dl regattas weather wise. Very little postponments & wind was consistent even if it was light. Good race officers who didn't send us off on a procession around the bay was a big help

Ah. I was wondering alright how you'd managed to get pics of the front of Quest's (green) spinny - they led almost every race all the way!

It also explains why we're not even a speck in the distance - we missed Friday's sailing :mad:

C3 were incredibly lucky with our courses - on Saturday, other small boats (B21.1's, SB20's etc) only got one out of 3 races on the south side of the bay, and most of the boats on the coastal course had to retire, whereas we had loads of wind on the Sutton course. Bit of a lottery, which we did very well in :D

Heard class 1 had a windward mark set in the channel on saturday & the results stood even though 1 boat protested the whole fleet for not going around one of the nav marks. Hope the weather will be decent for c3 easterns at end of august.

have some pics on pc at home from previous dl regattas that I will try to post tomorrow. Ran across the attached when sailing in italy in april. Large maxi that we couldn't get close to as they just sailed off.

Heard class 1 had a windward mark set in the channel on saturday & the results stood even though 1 boat protested the whole fleet for not going around one of the nav marks. Hope the weather will be decent for c3 easterns at end of august.

have some pics on pc at home from previous dl regattas that I will try to post tomorrow. Ran across the attached when sailing in italy in april. Large maxi that we couldn't get close to as they just sailed off.

That was the J109s! You'd want to have some neck to enter that protest!!!

We came across this beauty de-rigging outside Valletta Grand Harbour a couple of weeks ago - a thing of dreams :D

20130701_180943.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mK6nCQSdGbo/Udkx7iO7anI/AAAAAAAAHC8/3sGq3PnsuAY/w419-h559-no/20130701_180846.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Conchir

I've been out on the water in Dublin Bay every day since last Monday. I spent last week instructing and then I was on rescue for the Optimist Crosbie Cup this weekend. I swear, this has been the best weather we've had for years. If someone can find a better summer job than sailing instructing, I'd like to hear about it. Unfortunately I have no pictures, but it's been consistently in the high teens/low 20's at least.

However I did have to put up with watching the Dun Laoghaire regatta from my rib while instructing, got very jealous of everyone. We did go out to the gybe mark for one of the races north of the shipping channel last Friday though, got very close to the action.

Advertisement