Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weston Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

New water treatment plant being built....:)

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Any news re Weston ?(Relations there today and told it looks as if barely operational/active-2 flights while they were there -although restaurant /cafe working away )

G-RVNP P68B Ravenair
    HB-EHN Beech V-35B

Pictures
    G-RVNP http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7568346408
    HB-EHN http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7556379202

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Two Chipmunks (from 1950) did a formation flyover and landed at Weston today. They are parked there for the weekend. They'll be flying a filming shoot tomorrow (probably up towards Gormanston) and will be in the Bray Airshow on Sunday.

One's based in Ballyboy (169) and the other in Scotland.

20120720_165004.jpg

20120720_165353.jpg

20120720_165325.jpg

20120720_165202.jpg

20120720_165238.jpg

20120720_165247.jpg

20120720_162744.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

ooooh, didn't even know there was a pair of air corps chipmunks knocking about.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Right I know where I am going RIGHT NOW !!!!

Thanks

But for how much longer do you think this little oasis for the irish aviation enthusiast will be operational?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bykovo Chernoye Monino

Great paint jobs, well done all involved

Bykovo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Neither Chipmunk saw service in the Air Corps but great to see them painted up in the original Air Corps colours. I happen to to think the two colour bosses are cooler than the the current markings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Looking back through the thread, the same problems happen at motor racing circuits here and abroad. The circuits have been around for decades, houses crop up, people move in, AND THEN COMPLAIN about the noise.

Look at the Nurburgring in Germany, built in 1927 and blow-ins complain about the noise when racing is on. Its one of the biggest attractions in that part of Germany and facilitates thousands of jobs. Same at Mondello Park in Kildare, same in circuits all over the UK too.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Weston Today:
    Flightwise 172 EI-OFM
    NFC 172RG EI-FII
    DA42 G-DSKY

64f8rl.jpg

219av4z.jpg

2jd258z.jpg

119400k.jpg

r9lvef.jpg

177d45.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's a video I shot last Saturday when the Chipmunks were going up for a TV shoot. Maule EI-GER was the camera plane.

I shot, edited and uploaded it with my phone so excuse the poor quality (aswell as some poorly timed titles - they were correct before I uploaded!).

They first did a takeoff for the benefit of the camera van racing along the taxiway to the right, then the Maule took off and came around to get the aerial shot of the two taking off.

Just the one visitor today

N404CZ Citation 510 Cessna Aircraft Co UK Demo Aircraft

Picture
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/namcys11/7684745072

Ken

So is it winding down completely there or what?Anyone knows?

Hey 2011abc, are you just trying to wind people up?

If your "relatives" visited today they would find the same conditions, with gale force winds, squally showers, hardly anyone wants to fly in that! So, it looks quiet, except for the birds feeding on the newly cut grass!!

Weston is not "winding down", sure it needs more business, but who doesn't?
    No buyer yet, but that's a work in progress.

QDM.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Xpro

Any news on the sale of Weston?

I believe it is sold??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

wouldnt it be great to make a small commercial regional airport out of it, for atr, dash 8 and perhaps 737s, perfectly situated..no hassle of dublin airport, and of course avoids the north side :-D (joke of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

lufties wrote: »
    wouldnt it be great to make a small commercial regional airport out of it, for atr, dash 8 and perhaps 737s, perfectly situated..no hassle of dublin airport, and of course avoids the north side :-D (joke of course)

Will never happen and it wouldn't be considered a "regional airport". Any ILS approach would mean major delays into Dublin for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭LeftBase

lufties wrote: »

That would be very unrealistic indeed.

An ILS to 25 would mean running with or across the area of the TULSO transition to ILS 28 for DUB. Weston is about 9 miles from DUB and regional Tprops/jets would cause severe traffic congestion in the Dublin Control Zone. Instrument approaches to 07 at Weston with infringe on the R15/16 at BAL and seriously piss off the military on a regular basis.

The biggest reasons(apart from all the above snags, which in truth could be overcome in the will was there) are the nimbys that infest the Leixlip/Celbridge area. They get their knickers in a twist over C152s flying over their houses at 500ft.....can you imagine the wobbly they would throw over an atr, Regional Jet or god forbid a 737 coming over on a 3 degree glide!!:pac:
    It would be great to sit back and watch but it is not realistic.

Also from a sentimental point of view it would ruin Weston as a GA field. Everybody would be hassled and hurried by the IFR traffic entering the zone and it would mess up the largely laid back(apart from a recent addition I discovered) style of ATC and general flying.

It's aint happening anyhow so.....yanno!:cool:

• Advertisement

LeftBase wrote: »
    That would be very unrealistic indeed.

An ILS to 25 would mean running with or across the area of the TULSO transition to ILS 28 for DUB.

As of the 13th it will be called SORIN and an ILS to 25 would cross O/H Dublin so would effectively shut down Dublin.

urajoke wrote: »
    As of the 13th it will be called SORIN and an ILS to 25 would cross O/H Dublin so would effectively shut down Dublin.

I'm not sure it would have to cross overhead Dublin. Dublin is 9 or so NM from Weston. You could turn tprop aircraft on to a 5 mile final without much hassle I'd imagine. But it would be an ATC nightmare and given Dublin ATS's love of doing just as much as they have to do I cant see it happening.

Nimbys are still the major issue however!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

I don't think we'd be talking too much traffic though. A few flights a day at most.

It would be interesting though in say a stiff northwesterly with 34 in use at DUB and 25 at WST. Similarly with 10 and 07. One of the Weston ATCs would be getting even more tetchy than he normally is on a good day!

Hi folks,

So that's two digs at ATC Weston in the one thread...

firstly from "Leftbase"..
    Everybody would be hassled and hurried by the IFR traffic entering the zone and it would mess up the largely laid back(apart from a recent addition I discovered) style of ATC and general flying.
    then from "FWVT"...
    One of the Weston ATCs would be getting even more tetchy than he normally is on a good day!
    So, what's the problem ladies...? :cool:

QDM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Hi folks,

then from "FWVT"...

QDM

Mirror mirror on the wall......

Mirror mirror on the wall......

What?...no discussion, how predictable!

QDM.

Hi folks,

then from "FWVT"...

QDM

Weston's ATC is amongst the nicest I've come across in flying, however there are some days when they have a little bit of a groan or that direct to Leftbase(some product placement there) to 07 is denied!;)

There's also the days when you dont get a reply until you're reaching for the 7600!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Hi folks,

then from "FWVT"...

QDM

No problem most days, only when there are more than two in the circuit and a particular controller is on!

See PMs ....:D

• Advertisement

I'm not sure it would have to cross overhead Dublin. Dublin is 9 or so NM from Weston. You could turn tprop aircraft on to a 5 mile final without much hassle I'd imagine.

Good luck with that you are giving ATC an error margin of 1nm max to maintain separation with Dublin departures. In fact you are still clogging up Dublin as it may be 7-9nm from Dublin in a straight line but on the diagonal its only 5-6nm from the centerline of the 10 approach.
    But it would be an ATC nightmare and given Dublin ATS's love of doing just as much as they have to do I cant see it happening.

Not sure what you are getting at with this comment please expand. Remember from your side of the mic you have your SOP's and Procedures but from ours we have our own Procedures and MAT's and LOA's, so I rarely step across the line of my knowledge and have a go, so I would hope that your misgivings are only because you don't understand our requirements. Its amazing the number of times we get asked X,Y and Z by a pilot because they have very little spacial awareness as they only have ONE freq and TCAS to give them the picture without realising that there is 15 frequencies and 9 (+3 FIR) sectors in and around Dublin that have to dealt with and regulated.

So your "doing just as much as they have to do" may be a reflection of what is actually able to be done within the LAW's and Procedures that DATCC have to follow.

Advertisement