Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2012, 16:05   #1
hefferboi

The "Recommend me some new music?" Thread

We've been getting lots of these threads, so why not a big sticky for recommending music? Post what you're into or what kind of stuff you're looking for and people can recommend things you might like!

Note this isn't just for posting songs you think other people should listen to, this is for asking for and responding to requests for suggestions!

- El Pr0n

Can anyone recommend a few songs or albums for me? Or if there's a website where I can see any new songs? Want to update my ipod.

I've a playlist here with the kinda stuff I like:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...eature=mh_lolz

Last edited by rcaz; 29-01-2012 at 15:14.
Advertisement
09-01-2012, 17:26   #2
rcaz

Why not look up the people who make your favourite music and find out who they listen to themselves? Always works for me.
09-01-2012, 17:37   #3
Sinfonia

Also Amazon and iTunes Store (among other places) would have a "People who bought this also bought..." thing.
09-01-2012, 22:37   #4

I propose a new stickied recommendation thread since so many people are starting threads like these.
Thanks from:
09-01-2012, 22:42   #5

Check out Music Map you put in an artist name and it gives you suggestions.

Last edited by Malice; 14-01-2012 at 19:55.
Advertisement
09-01-2012, 22:53   #6
rcaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero1986 View Post
I propose a new stickied recommendation thread since so many people are starting threads like these.
Yeah I was thinking the same. Ooh, my first sticky, can't wait
09-01-2012, 22:59   #7
rcaz

Thread stuck!

Last edited by rcaz; 29-01-2012 at 15:14.
14-01-2012, 19:57   #8
Malice

Send a message via Skype™ to Malice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidinginthebush View Post
Check out Music Map you put in an artist name and it gives you suggestions.
There is also Music Plasma which does more or less the same thing.
18-01-2012, 18:01   #9
Sinfonia

Gimmeh some musics that sound like these two things. Plz.

Advertisement
22-01-2012, 23:42   #10
-Vega-

Music Similar to Sherlock Holmes romani soundtrack ?

Hey folks.

this song..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZP9IxR7njI

I love it ! Love that gypsy feel and the remix behind it, have any of you heard anything similar in pace? Its fantastic, would love some more!
Thanks from:
23-01-2012, 11:37   #11
-Vega-

a thread for this is a bad idea. Not enough people look thru threads, some people read thread titles and will recognise the song mentioned and post in it, rather than troll thru 100 pages of what about this song and what about that song.

Please just leave my thread where it is because I promise you, it wont get answered here.. and thats the point of this forum. I actually might have found something if you left it where it was, is this forum about helping its users or making everything nice and tidy?
23-01-2012, 11:38   #12
-Vega-

for example, not ONE on topic response so far. These people will never get suggestions posted back unless its by the mod who actually has to crawl through this thread which could end up at 50 pages.
23-01-2012, 13:01   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfonia View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I'd recommend you check out "Sigur Ros" and "Godspeed You! Black Emperor", I get that sort of vibe from those two songs.
23-01-2012, 14:12   #14
rcaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vega- View Post
a thread for this is a bad idea. Not enough people look thru threads, some people read thread titles and will recognise the song mentioned and post in it, rather than troll thru 100 pages of what about this song and what about that song.

Please just leave my thread where it is because I promise you, it wont get answered here.. and thats the point of this forum. I actually might have found something if you left it where it was, is this forum about helping its users or making everything nice and tidy?
A thread for this is a great idea. People that want to talk about finding new music can come here and see what others want, and ask for requests themselves. If people aren't going to bother posting, that's a problem with the people, and not with the forum, right?

In the last month or so we've had loads of threads asking for recommendations, they always get maybe one or two responses and then die out. Having that many almost-empty threads coming through here to die makes for a messy forum that's hard to manage. Why not just have it all in one/

This forum, as far as I'm concerned, is about making a nice and tidy collection of threads that are easy for users to navigate through. Having stickies on popular topics means all similar discussions are in the same place, so people looking for those discussions can find it all at once. Which makes perfect sense to me.

I can't listen to anything right now, but when I get home this evening I'll have a listen to some stuff and see if I can make any recommendations. But Vega, you're looking for music similar to Hans Zimmer, one of the most popular film composers ever. Why don't you check out his other work and see if you like any of that too? He's done a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Vega- View Post
for example, not ONE on topic response so far. These people will never get suggestions posted back unless its by the mod who actually has to crawl through this thread which could end up at 50 pages.
Weren't you just proven wrong by hidinginthebush?
Thanks from:
23-01-2012, 17:21   #15
Scubadevils
Did I dream, you dreamed about me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinfonia View Post

Jimmy Tamborello who forms part of the Postal Service also has a project called Dntel. I've only one album but love it... [it was just reissued in 2011 for its 10th anniversary on both CD & vinyl, I got my copy on CD sometime around its reissue but intend to grab the vinyl soon too]

http://www.discogs.com/Dntel-Life-Is...s/master/28396

Dntel - Why I'm So Unhappy

Dntel - Umbrella

You might also try Bibio, could be a bit random but give him a shot... this taken from his 2009 album 'Ambivalence Avenue'.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion