Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Storm Chasers" Season 5 Premieres 25/9/11

• 06-09-2011 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭

Nearly that time again folks!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151883474896998

Hopefully this season will have a bit less drama than last season.

This one will be extra interesting for me as they will be chasing some of the storms i chased while over there with Net Weather :)

So ye if ya see any of these tornadoes then we were close! :)

248494_10150285397366718_631736717_9717651_708130_n.jpg
    247936_10150625200920258_518365257_18948400_4475174_n.jpg

ANd sure why not a oul lightning stirke for the crack too :)
    267807_10150295545606718_631736717_9823989_4640695_n.jpg
    ALSO.... if theres a scene where theres a lightning bolt VERY close to a stationed dow radar truck then we wer VERY nearby too! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

2011 was one of the deadliest tornado seasons on record. It really was an astonishing and tragic season. There will be no shortage of material for the show this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is this as good or better than Tornado road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Min wrote: »

Awh god dont mention TOrnado Road! haha... SUch a let down!

Storm Chasers is more serious, more professional and simply NOT STUPID PEOPLE!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Min wrote: »

I love Tornado road ~ it's more real people, a day in the life of determined people. Almost no scripting and no story line.

As you don't seem to be familiar with Storm Chasers then a little background. It's a Discovery Channel TV show which means massive money is thrown at it, massive content control and massive exploitation of events with over acting and disputes and fighting all carefully edited with the most stunning storm footage available anywhere.

It essentially started as a research project centring around a university professor studying advanced meteorology and a film maker who built a car that could get close to and even enter small tornadoes.

The professor with the radar truck would guide the TIV [Tornado Intercept Vehicle] to the best spots but a crazy part Irish cameraman would often ignore the advise he was getting and hare off on his own with a mixture of consequences, sometimes great intercepts, sometimes he'd have done better to wait ~ so there was always a fight with one another over something.

As the show developed each year it's popularity brought more studio control and conflict of interest from sponsors while and upstart started getting great footage time and time again an he had only using a jeep and mobile connection to his laptop and a video camera of course.

The TIV's cameraman was anxious to get a good intercept to finish his iMax film and it was looking like it was all falling apart as his love hate relationship with the university professor was forcibly divorced by a new company sponsoring the weather collection data and no longer the university ~ also there was more bad feelings raised as the TIV was on Youtube driving on the wrong side of the road overtaking traffic coming to a blind spot ~

In the meantime that upstart who had been getting the better footage came to season 3 [if I'm not mistaken] as a fully paid up meteorologist with equal billing as the other two stars and this of course caused new frictions. The upstart drove our crazy TIV cameraman totally demented when he made his own tiv calling it the 'Dominator'.

As an aside Myth Busters tested both tiv vehicles to see whose was actually better. The program changed more to a race of superior tivs with each trying to outdo the other with both technology and personnel ~ the dominator suffered a crisis then it's owner started bringing his girl friend along which meant dropping one of his crew ~ yes more tension, tears and tantrums ~ us boys of course on forums all over the world gave him some stick for that ~ geez you'd swear we were in those cars, it's better than Coronation Street.

Last year saw the Two TIV vehicles take equal billing with Tim Samaras as each crew deployed new or updated vehicles and equipment and also hire paramedics as drivers or assistants so as to aid first responders as the storm chasers were often first on scene.

This year ... as mentioned was a horrific year, in the week that over 350 people died, former AccuWeather Ankerman, Joe Bastardi, described the coming week in his forecast as wall to wall tornadoes of immense power, it'll be like hell on earth ~ it was.

I have not filled in every detail I hope I’ve left enough for you to go to Discovery Channel and learn all about the characters.

2 more Days :)... Well 3 before it makes its way online. But ye.... woooo! :D

To keep ya's entertained in the meantime , heres a highlights video of Our Storm Chase in May that one of the Lads Dave just put up.
    Let me know what yas think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

Iancar29 wrote: »
    2 more Days :)... Well 3 before it makes its way online. But ye.... woooo! :D

To keep ya's entertained in the meantime , heres a highlights video of Our Storm Chase in May that one of the Lads Dave just put up.
    Let me know what yas think :)

great video pal super stuff

A brilliant first episode i must say!, Devastating but brilliant...

Cant wait to see the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A brilliant first episode i must say!, Devastating but brilliant...

Cant wait to see the next one!

I forgot about this!

I forgot about this!

Did ya get to watch it yet?

:)

kwik wrote: »

DO ya like me "woah woah woah woah woahhhhh.... @5.54? :D hA

• Advertisement

kwik wrote: »

DO ya like me "woah woah woah woah woahhhhh...." @3.50? :D hA

Just watched on the ol utube, scary how I was so familiar with everything, I stayed up in the wee hours live as these were breaking ~ and I knew neither got really good shots of these monsters ~ still made a great watch.

Will watch on my 42" when it comes on.

Anyone notice the changes that Tim Samaras made to his new vehicle?

gbee wrote: »
    Just watched on the ol utube, scary how I was so familiar with everything, I stayed up in the wee hours live as these were breaking ~ and I knew neither got really good shots of these monsters ~ still made a great watch.

Will watch on my 42" when it comes on.

Anyone notice the changes that Tim Samaras made to his new vehicle?

Ye same with me! i was watching the news feed that had the live tower cam! Was Crazy!

Ya mean this vehicle?
    10.JPG
    :pac:

Was the Mini Dow Radar always there? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kwik

DO ya like me "woah woah woah woah woahhhhh...." @3.50? :D hA
    Cant blame you. It was crazy weather to be driving in. Going to have to do it myself someday.

He took the big wind stopping box body off it. :) Not sure about the radar.

As for the radar = ?????

Interviews:
    176197.jpg

'Live Footage':
    176198.jpg

So it was probably added after episode one at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Anyone know when it airs on discovery uk:)?.

Episode 2, well now I know why Reed was missing some of those tornados in April. Didn't know he was making a new dominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

storm chasers is on disc 524 at the mo ....

Episode 3 was good , i think episode 4 will be when i was over there! We seen all the crews so hoping to see some of the tornadoes that we saw on it! :D woop!

• Advertisement

Again it's interesting to see why they did not get on the storms ~ most chasers seemed to be off during the early period ~ Reed was no where and Tim's truck blows an injector :eek:

Ian, you were much nearer and I agree the next episode may well coincide with your visit. We had a thread on it at the time I think, must look it up as I did not keep notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Managed to catch the first two eps and the prequel last night...
    Sean's back? What the hell happened to retirement? 3D eh, the latest gimmick...I really like this show but each season it's getting more forced and even Reed is starting to annoy me....worth watching for the storms though of course. That tuscalossa storm was feckin' epically frightening.
    Watching the US one is an improvement over the UK one...the narration suits better...

Wertz wrote: »
    Watching the US one is an improvement over the UK one...the narration suits better...

Reed, funny I hated him in the beginning but I hated the rivalry between Sean and Wurman even more so ~ was putting me off the show.

At least Reed began to show storms ~ I suspect his girlfriend might have blunted his enthusiasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I actually liked him in earlier seasons...he wasn't so up his own arse and constantly on about Joel. Guy knows his stuff though, no denying that.
    Always like Sean, but don't like the way it was strung out over previous seasons that this would be his last, he had to get the footage this year etc....I think the fact that DC have chucked money at this show has spoiled it slightly and the chasers themselves are now suffering from the convoys of peoplew who follow TIV or dominator everywhere they go...
    Wurman seems to be out this year... don't know if that's agood or a bad thing...perhaps some behind the scenes bust up over Casey.

Wertz wrote: »
    perhaps some behind the scenes bust up over Casey.

Maybe so but it's the project sponsors who have called the shots on this relationship. Previously Josh was sponsored by the university, now it's a private concern and they deploy 12 or more DOW trucks and sell the data.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Season 5 Episode 5

Ya, someone asleep as Joplin is destroyed and someone else afraid to punch the core?

It's like the guy who buys the top of the range new camera and then keeps it in a hard case inside an aluminium case to protect it and is afraid to actually use it ~ syndrome. !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

All 3 chase teams annoyed me in this episode!

Reed to be fair has had some amount of intercepts under his belt, but **** me, he hates to be wrong. He seems the type of guy that would argue a black crow white. You can really feels Joels fustration when he makes a suggestion.

Sean, he's just really badly run down, he's not talking at all to the rest of the team telling them what's going on. They are both there to intercept tornados but Sean keeps calling them off.

Tim spent all the money on the radar system to find out what's going on inside the tornados and also to help him predeict where the tornadoes are going to be before they appear, but he's actually scared to get anywhere near them. After spending all that money, you would think he would of spent the little bit extra to protect his investment instead of chickening out every time!!

But apart from that, good episode lol

That episode really annoyed me to be honest, the next better be more serious.

I dont mind not seeing many storms but it was just annoying.

If i was Joel id knock some sense into Reed.... Let him drive and see how he feels after all the hours on the road non stop.

• Advertisement

I think you're up next Ian, this episode has the radar fitted, and you were there then. So next episode is the one to watch.

I am personally suspecting that these guys have lost their nerve, we had predictions of massive storms and yet these 'experts' seem to have come up with one excuse after the other not to chase.

They all look burnt out TBH.

In an exceptional year, NONE of them got good footage, as one who watched live, a lot of the footage is what was online from the various storm chasers, and none of them were from Discovery Channel.

At one time I was watching you head for a storm [Greenberg I think] and Reed headed West, missing it and you drove within a few miles ~ I posted that previously and don't have any notes. But you were closer.

Advertisement