Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-07-2011, 08:40   #61
Das Kitty
Manic Pixie Dream Tarantula ☆゚.*・。゚

I'm knitting a v-neck fitted sweater for myself at the moment. It's in Aran weight.

So I did the decreases per the pattern, every 13th row 4 times then 14 rows straight, then increases the same as the decreases and tried it on and it was way too long, It was down over the bum and it's supposed to sit just below the trouser line. Aaargh.

I didn't make any mistakes, and my gauge was right so it seems the pattern is wrong / stupid. So I frogged it up to the 3rd decrease and am eliminating one decrease and one increase. I could frog all the way up to the armhole and leave fewer rows between the dec/inc but I was already getting sick of knitting it!

So annoyed I didn't listen to my instinct about it being too long when I was going along, aarrrgh!
Advertisement
07-07-2011, 16:26   #62
beeftotheheels

That's so annoying. Personally when something like that happens I put down the knitting for anything up to six months and revert to crochet. For some reason frogging crochet is so easy, any little mistake and I rip back. It's an emotional disaster when I try to do the same with knitting, I find myself trying to justify leaving mistakes there as "features".
Thanks from:
10-07-2011, 23:34   #63
wmpdd3

What in gods name is frogging?
Thanks from:
11-07-2011, 00:42   #64
beeftotheheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpdd3 View Post
What in gods name is frogging?
ripping back "rippit rippit"
11-07-2011, 21:01   #65
wmpdd3

Never heard of that!!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-07-2011, 21:31   #66
Das Kitty

Hee hee, I first heard of it on ravelry and had to look it up, thought the meaning behind it was cute. Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't a clue!
(2) thanks from:
12-07-2011, 11:28   #67
beeftotheheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Kitty View Post
Hee hee, I first heard of it on ravelry and had to look it up, thought the meaning behind it was cute. Glad I'm not the only one who hadn't a clue!
I came across it in the Stitch & B!tch books - which are actually so useful for things like grafting (which Mam had forgotten how to do), dropping stitches to avoid ripping where you had an errant purl/ plain and then using a crochet hook to pick them back up, in fact really useful in all their uses of crochet hooks to help with knitting.

I was also trying to learn a long tail cast on from them and just as I had the wool set up in my hands my Mam suddenly got interested. Turns out she'd spent 55 odd years of knitting unable to cast on "properly" in the eyes of her family which she has now mastered thanks to the book.

Reminds me of a really cute thing a while back. Mam was teaching my niece to knit and found a piece of knitting one of us had done when small still on the little needles. From the cast on she figured out it was her mother teaching me to knit, and not her since it was her Mam's cast on. So the first 4 inches of dropped stitches, magical extra stitches and mad tension are down to me and my Nana, the next four inches are down to my niece and her Nana, maybe we can make a multi generational scarf (its acrylic so holding up okay).
(3) thanks from:
12-07-2011, 12:10   #68
Das Kitty

I have the Ultimate Knitting Bible and it has all those elements too.

I want to learn fair-isle knitting properly where you can carry across more than 5 stitches in one colour. I made a little fair isle hat for my small man last winter and would love to do more.

http://ravel.me/DasKitty/sbh
(3) thanks from:
12-07-2011, 12:32   #69
beeftotheheels

So cute! was it not really fiddly starting off on a small hat (assuming with sock needles)?
Advertisement
12-07-2011, 12:40   #70
Das Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeftotheheels View Post
So cute! was it not really fiddly starting off on a small hat (assuming with sock needles)?
It was fiddly and I knitted it 3 times in the end, but I needed to start on a small item to see how it was going to turn out! I was able to do the main part on short circular needles so that took some of the fiddling out of it.
Thanks from:
13-07-2011, 23:30   #71
wmpdd3

Das Kitty, would you recommend the 'Ultimate Knitting Bible'?

Is it very basic or are the patterns/tips good?

I'd love to treat myself to that and the crochet version.
14-07-2011, 07:12   #72
Das Kitty

I find it good, has instructions for lots of different knitting styles, cast ons, stitches and is easy to follow. It also brings you through a basic sock pattern which I found invaluable.

I also have the sewing version -also brilliant.
Thanks from:
17-07-2011, 00:10   #73
wmpdd3

Right I'm off to find them both second hand.

My favourite book is a readers digest massive book of craft from 1979.... aimed at the new wife / mother!!

It covers every type of textile craft imaginable.
17-07-2011, 22:10   #74
Eroticplants

Hey all,
You're probably all bored to death of these kinds of questions but, could anyone help me knit socks? I've watched videos on Youtube and they all say it calls for like 4 needles but I only have the two and have only ever knitted scarfs.
Any hints, tips, magic spells to make them instantly appear?
17-07-2011, 22:28   #75
Das Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroticplants View Post
Hey all,
You're probably all bored to death of these kinds of questions but, could anyone help me knit socks? I've watched videos on Youtube and they all say it calls for like 4 needles but I only have the two and have only ever knitted scarfs.
Any hints, tips, magic spells to make them instantly appear?
Yeah you need 4 double pointed sock needles in the correct size for the pattern. This is because you knit them in a tube rather than flat. If you've only done scarves I'd advise trying your hand and a practice swatch where you do some increases and decreases.

As well as that, baby hats are a great way of learning to knit in the round as they're quick.

You can actually knit a sock on 2 needles but you have to be able to make a flat seam and they're fairly tricky.
Like this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...t-sock-pattern

I remember trying to knit my first sock, I threw the whole lot out the window!
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion