We all love pets, and we love to talk about them and that's why this forum is here. But remember, there are some simple rules:
This board is intended for the discussion of;
- the ownership of all pets (ie feeding, care etc.),
- help with locating pets of all kinds
- general discussion about pets and animals, their general welfare and animal-related topics.
- No discussing illegal or violent activities - be these carried out by individuals or extremists.
- Advocating cruelty to animals or humans will be harshly dealt with*
-Suggesting any method of killing any pet will result in a permanent ban from the forum. The ban will be issued without any warning given.
- No discussion of militant animal rights organisations or their activities.
- Discussion of bloodsports (including hunting with dogs, hare-coursing and carted stag hunting) is upsetting to many users of this fourm, threads on these topics will be locked or moved to the appropriate forum. The hunting forum can be found here and the angling forum is here
- Discussion of vermin/population control other than neutering of pet animals, regardless of species, is not permitted in this forum. More suitable forums might include Farming and Forestry/Smallholdings.
- Do not libel individuals or companies-(see special note below).
- No animal sales, no selling items, no animal studs.
- No spamming, no advertising, no 'pimping' your wares/services etc, no illegal material, and no posting of NSFW items.
- No linking to site advertisements.
- No fundraising/soliciting.
- No Linking to Donedeal or other advertising site in order to complain about advertisements. Complaining directly to the site in question might be a better way to voice your opinion.
- Soapboxing will not be tolerated **
- No cross-posting complaining about the forum/moderation team on either other boards fora or other fora unrelated to boards.ie
- Dragging threads off-topic, cross-posting, arguing with mods on-thread, disruptive behaviour in general, back-seat modding etc. will not be tolerated. If you have an issue with a Moderator's actions, PM them or seek guidance from a CMod (humanji, The Hill Billy)
-Users should not respond to trolls or allow themselves be provoked into responding by another user.Report the post instead of responding. Users that respond to trolls instead of using the report button will be infracted for their response.
-Users that question a modding decision on thread will receive a Red Card for a first offence and a 1 week ban for a second. A third offence will be result in a permanent ban from the forum.
**Soapboxing : pushing an agenda that is not the sole concern/query of the OP. It also refers to any poster pushing the same agenda consistently/ spouting their beliefs over others. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but no one wants it in their face all the time.
Negative behaviour will result in infractions & bans.
Positive behaviour will result in a better forum for all.
If you are an agency or affiliated with an agency then please let the mods know before you post. Agencies are no longer allowed to post in an agency manner or with an agency agenda. This means no linking to your own sites for rehoming or other agency work. No spamming your agency or associated material, and also no speculation/libel against other agencies/rescues.***
The mods will be contacting individuals with an agency in their name in the next few days asking them to change their username to a neutral one that shows no affilation with an agency/rescue group/petshop/training group etc.
No recommendations, links to, or discussion of the activities of individual rescues. - By PM only.
If you are posting about an injured/sick animal or pet do not assume any advice or links to "possible causes" given on this forum are the answer to your problem. Any injured or sick animal should be taken to a vet asap, neither Boards.ie or any of its members can be held responsible for any advice given on this forum causing harm to any person or animal.
Treat people how you wish to be treated, rudeness/swearing/abuse will not be tolerated.
Please use the report post function to report suspect threads/posts/abuse -please do not respond to them.
Also if for some reason you get a post edited by a Moderator, do not re-edit the moderators changes.
If you have an animal you wish to rehome, you must use the one-off rehoming thread. New threads will be moved or deleted.
Please be wary of rehoming scams, there have been issues in the past where people are rehoming for their own benefit and providing false details/false papers etc.
Anyone who is involved in this type of scam will be permanently banned from Boards. And anyone has been a victim of this scam could they please any of the mods with the details.
Penalties & Dispute Resolution
Thread closure, warnings/infractions/banning is at the discretion of the mods - any issues regarding that or other things, PM any of us or please pm that mod and if you are unsatisfied contact the CMod, and failing them being able to help - take it to helpdesk.
Current CMods - humanji, The Hill Billy.
Please do not argue on thread with a mod decision - if you are unhappy with an action taken, there is a sitewide process here
A Special Note on Libel/Defamation
There is no free speech on this forum
Any defamatory statements against an individual or company will result in a permanent ban for all those involved. We don't care what other sites allow or not.
- What is libel/defamation?
A defamation is basically any statement about a person or an organisation (private, public, NGO, non-profit, whatever), which would damage the reputation of that person/organisation in the eyes of others.
- Is it OK if the statement is true?
Yes and no. A statement is only legally "true" if you can back it up with evidence.
- What kind of evidence is acceptable?
Official reports filed by other organisations (with links, etc)*
Statements by the company themselves*
Any other evidence which can be shown in print and which is not subject to interpretation*
- What is not "evidence"?
Hearsay - "I know someone who", "I heard that", "My mate was told that..."*
Your personal opinion*
Anything else which you cannot supply via upload or web link*
- Why is this such a big deal?
Someone who has a damaging comment made about them is entitled to to seek redress for any damage caused by that comment. Boards.ie as the publisher may be legally liable, and you as the author are also legally liable
- What will happen on boards if I say something defamatory?
If you cannot back it up with hard evidence, it will be deleted. If you develop a pattern or a habit of it, you will be banned from the forum permanently.
- Is there anything specific I should look out for?
Yes, this list is definitely not exhaustive:
1. Accusing any person or organisation of puppy-farming
2. Accusing any person or organisation of being associated with puppy-farming
3. Discrediting the legitimacy/authority of any person or organisation
4. Accusing a person or organisation of immoral practices or practices which they claim not to engage in.
5. Accusing any person or organisation of engaging in cruelty towards animals.
We would also ask all posters to be vigilant and report defamation (or even possible defamation) when you see it. If you're unsure, report it; better safe than sorry. Ultimately the availability of this forum is dependent on civil and legal discourse. If we fail in either regard, we're gone.
Please help to make this forum a place you want to be part of.
Finally all posters should be familiar with the
General FAQ/Site rules