Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-12-2007, 11:26   #1
froosh69

I'm sure you all know this...

I'm studying neurophysiology and we are studying the effects nicotine has on your mental and physical state. I'm sure you all know about the mental side i.e. mood swings, finding it difficult to concentrate, difficulty sleeping etc. but the physical side is the interesting one.

when you have been a regular smoker for a few weeks, your body becomes used to having a constant amount of nicotine in your blood. Therefore, if the nicotine levels are dropped, your body does not know what to do. So it gives you a craving to tell you something aint right.

It takes a full three days at least for all the nicotine in your body to be flushed out in urine, sweat and feces (it is, after all, a toxin).
The interesting thing is, the lower the nicotine levels in blood, the stronger the craving.
Alcohol, believe it or not, is a cleanser of blood. it washes alot of salts, fatty acids, proteins, water and nicotine out of your system, alot of which are vital to a healthy body (hence a hangover). This is why most people crave something fatty and salty(a kebab for example) and also cigarettes after a night on the sauce.
Nicorette and patches work by supplying a small amount of nicotine to the blood. This is why these methods do not work for many people. Remember, if there is a small level of nicotine in the blood, there will be a strong craving. Using an aid to give up smoking can be comforting because you believe that you are being helped, and it works for many people. After about a week of going cold turkey, all nicotine should be out of you system and its just a psychological battle from then on.
Good luck to you all,
Smoker

P.S. I stand to be corrected on any of the above points.
Advertisement
03-12-2007, 12:50   #2
Terry

Send a message via MSN to Terry
Interesting if true.

Any chance you could delve a bit deeper into this for us?
03-12-2007, 13:43   #3
ali.c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post

Any chance you could delve a bit deeper into this for us?
+1
03-12-2007, 14:14   #4
froosh69

ok, here's another fun fact.
According to most studies, nicotine is more addictive than heroin, cocaine and alcohol.
Even thought the withdrawal is more severe with these class A's, it is the potency that makes nicotine so addictive.
To illustrate my point, a Marlboro light contains .5mg of nicotine, this is a tiny amount. Coupled with the fact that most nicotine is destroyed in your heart, only a fraction of this gets to work in your system. If you were to inject a syringe full of pure nicotine or snort a line of it, you would instantly fall into a coma and suffer severe brain damage.

Nicotine is absorbed through your skin very easily (as with patches) and I read a true story about a farmer that accidently spilled some pesticide on a bench and sat down on it. He started feeling nausous and dizzy and three minutes later he passed out and went into a nicotine-induced coma. He came out of it and put on the same work clothes without being washed and it happened again.

Its as dangerous as rat poison in high enough doses.
03-12-2007, 14:29   #5
Terry

Didn't really mean the fun facts, but they are welcome nonetheless.

What I was asking was if you could use your position to look into the withdrawal side of things a bit further.

It would be nice to get some clarification on the amount of time it takes nicotene to leave your system and other such facts.

If you want to, of course.
Advertisement
03-12-2007, 14:37   #6
froosh69

no problem, im kinda busy with exams and stuff at the minute but i'd love to help. Im new to boards but i can see myself becoming an active poster in this forum. Is there a thread where there are interesting facts about smoking and/or tips to help people rather than people's stories?Ive tried every method under the sun (exept councilling and hypnotherapy) and knowing the facts, although interesting, hasnt helped me give up.
03-12-2007, 16:10   #7
Terry

There is the sticky at thye top, but feel free to start a new thread and we'll see where it goes.
11-01-2008, 13:11   #8
Hellrazer

Froosh69--how does Zyban tie into all this.Like yourself I tried every product out there in 2007 to give up the smokes--hypnosis,acupuncture,gum,patces,inhaler etc etc etc.Cost me more in trying to give them up than I was spending a week on smoking.

I had used zyban 4 years ago and stayed off the smokes for 2 years with it and tried again 13 weeks ago--Its a scary drug because literally within 10 days all my cravings were gone even though I was still smoking (this is the way that you take zyban)

Im off them 13 weeks now but the thoughts of a drug messing around with your neuroreceptors always frightened me.

Apologies for thread hijacking but I always wanted an answer and most doctors dont even know how it works.Maybe someone studying neurophysiology might have an answer.

Thanks
Richie.

Last edited by Hellrazer; 11-01-2008 at 13:14.
19-01-2008, 22:29   #9

Quote:
Using an aid to give up smoking can be comforting because you believe that you are being helped, and it works for many people. After about a week of going cold turkey, all nicotine should be out of you system and its just a psychological battle from then on.
has any one had a go of giving up, using patches and cold turkey at different times in their life??
If so was there any difference in ways of feeling better or worse etc? I am talking after that intial week, when all the nicotine is flushed out of your body..
Because if you wore a patch wouldn't that mean you would still have nicotine amounts in your body? and by going cold turkey there should be nothing.... anybody has any suggestion on this matter...?
Advertisement
20-01-2008, 22:23   #10

Hey Lance,

I smoke 30+ ciggs a day & I tried them all: hypnosis,microtab, acupuncture, zyban, gum,patches,inhaler and cold turkey. I stayed off them longest (five weeks) by going cold turkey but it was HELL for the first week, I had the shakes, sweats and couldn't sleep at night! I found that the patches took the edge off the craving but you are still supplying your body with nicotine, therefore the cravings last for longer. I never finished a course of patches though, I always gave up and started smoking again. I am going off them again tomorrow and the plan now is to wear the patch for 3 days, then use will power
20-01-2008, 23:58   #11

Hey good luck this time! Keep going..
I was reading and everybody says that after 72 hours you are clean! So that would mean that's it, no more cravings only mental battle, but with the patches gum etc giving you a small dose into your blood stream this could make the craving worse and keep them going for longer , so suffereing becomes longer lOL Rather than struggle out over the 72 hours and after that its all down hill..
21-01-2008, 22:53   #12
dazberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by froosh69 View Post
It takes a full three days at least for all the nicotine in your body to be flushed out in urine, sweat and feces (it is, after all, a toxin).
The interesting thing is, the lower the nicotine levels in blood, the stronger the craving.
Alcohol, believe it or not, is a cleanser of blood. it washes alot of salts, fatty acids, proteins, water and nicotine out of your system, alot of which are vital to a healthy body (hence a hangover).
That is interesting. When I quit a few years ago - I took a week off work - and every evening to take the edge off - I went down to the off-licence and bought some beer. Obviously the initial hurdle was the association with drinking and smoking together, but beyond that - I didn't find the withdrawl all that bad - and subsequently had no problem drinking and not smoking.

Of course a bit of planning and fore-thought (i.e. getting it all square in my mind beforehand), picking a date etc. was key.

D.
24-01-2008, 12:00   #13

ok well as I have stated in a previous thread im off them two weeks.
This is my third time trying. The first time I used gum, the second time I used patches. First two times I lasted about three months and went back on them. Both times I went back on them I was drinking.
This time I'm going cold turkey. I'm just really worried that I will start again when I'm locked.

Martin
24-01-2008, 12:25   #14
sonners

hey Martin,
I'm off them eleven days now, going cold turkey and doing ok so far. I had a few drinks at home with my sisters saturday night who both smoke, soon enough I was smoking too. I must've chain smoked ten cigs in about an hour, along with a fair few cans of cider. The result?.....me being Violently sick for about five hours!! It was horrible, I just kept throwing up, sorry to be so detailed but I tore my throat and everything I got sick so much. Was'nt well all day Sunday and even the smell of a cigerette turned my stomach.

Moral of the story is, I know It would've been better if I had been able to say no in the first place but because I went to town on it and was so sick I know for a fact I wont be making a repeat performance of saturday night Next time I want a cig when I'm drinkin I'll remind myself of the horrible night I had saturday night and the pain I was in on Sunday
24-01-2008, 13:10   #15

Hey,

Thats sounds prity bad. But if it puts ya off the next time your drinking then its well worth it.
Best of luck anyways.

Martin

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion