Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ducato thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

bharr wrote: »
    Hi all

I recently got a 1992 Hymer Camp 46 on Ducato 1900 Diesel base. As you'd expect, it's a bit agricultural. After a trip to Wexford and back this weekend, I thinking of changing my name to Benjy..

It's grand doing downhill with a strong tailwind. On second thoughts, make that a gale. I reckon it might even make 120km/h falling off the edge of a high cliff, the Cliffs of Moher, for example.

Most of the time the top speed is 90-100km/h. It fairly hums along at this speed and everything feels relaxed. I have no problem with this and I'm adapting to life on the slow lane. The scenery is much better here and I like seeing car drivers whizzing past me looking stressed out while they try not to be overtaken and using their mobile phones at the same time.

The only drawback to this is on narrow hilly roads. Yesterday, I was on the road to Wexford and from there to Fethard-on-Sea on the R733 (I think). The road was a bit hilly and bendy and being in a LHD, there was soon a line of cars behind me as my van slowed down a lot on hills and took a while to build up speed again when I shifted up again from a lower gear.

I thought how handy it would be to have a bit of extra oomph.

Is it possible to have a turbo fitted to this engine or even have the engine swapped for a more powerful one?

Thanks a million, folks.

Brian

I have the exact same on a 2.8 Ducato yr 2k. Turbo seems fine and no smoke but low on power on the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

Tristan at Pat Horan Campers is very knowledgable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Last week I posted about the 5th gear problem, thought I had everything sorted gearbox wise.
    We went to Galway/Mayo for a few days and coming home through Castlebar the clutch felt different.
    Very soon found out that I had no longer and clutch clearence, and it couldn't be got into gear.
    Nursed it on to Boyle, where I checked things. By slackening the lock-nut on the clutch cabke I took up about 20mm of length and had a bit of clutch clearence . Got home the final 40 miles, but it looks like a new clutch kit is needed.
    There was no squealing or anything, but I suppose it must be the release bearing has eaten into/ heated the release fingers/diaphragm ?
    2.8 td, built 1998.

Got a complete new clutch kit fitted.
    The plate was fine, barely any wear, but the diaphragm segments/fingers had deformed and the release bearing wasnt able to push them far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Got a complete new clutch kit fitted.
    The plate was fine, barely any wear, but the diaphragm segments/fingers had deformed and the release bearing wasnt able to push them far enough.

What did that set you back or did you fit it yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The cost of the clutch kit complets ( according to the mechanic) was 230 euro for a Sachs.
    Charged 300 labour.
    Clutch disk was perfect, dated 2008, but obviously the last owner just stuck in tbe disk and didnt change the cover plate.
    2000 year van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Had to get one replaced a 5 years ago and it was €190 for the kit and €300 for labour, so very similiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dee bee

Hi electric pros of the forum, I have a query. I am thinking of replacing the interior bulbs in my camper (1992, 2.5TDi) with LEDs. Any reason why I shouldn't? :cool:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

dee bee wrote: »
    Hi electric pros of the forum, I have a query. I am thinking of replacing the interior bulbs in my camper (1992, 2.5TDi) with LEDs. Any reason why I shouldn't? :cool:

Thanks
    I replaced all mine this year, unreal the difference in lighting and power requirements as 1 old bulb drew the same wattage as all the new ones combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I installed these in my 1999 camper: Litecone MR11 12V (10-30V) AC/DC 2W GU4 30 Degree Warm White LED Light Bulb Lamp.
    The household 12V ones may not appreciate the 14-odd volts of a fully charged battery.

jamesd wrote: »
    I replaced all mine this year, unreal the difference in lighting and power requirements as 1 old bulb drew the same wattage as all the new ones combined.

Same here the LED bulbs only use a fraction of the power I was using on the old bulbs, just need to change the outside light now and we are done. With 4 on I am using half of the power 1 bulb was using and light seems brighter from the LED ones.

• Advertisement

m8 wrote: »
    Same here the LED bulbs only use a fraction of the power I was using on the old bulbs, just need to change the outside light now and we are done. With 4 on I am using half of the power 1 bulb was using and light seems brighter from the LED ones.

Hi m8, you mind telling me what LEDs you used? Looking at different options. Thanks

dee bee wrote: »
    Hi m8, you mind telling me what LEDs you used? Looking at different options. Thanks

Can't remember tbh I just purchased on ebay about a year ago and all still working.

Ok, no worries. I'll just do my research. Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I changed my halogen internal lights in my rimor last year but found the led bulb still glowed when switched off. I thought it was just the cheap Ebay bulbs but was the same when I tried dearer ones. I never got to the bottom of it and just put back in the halogens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

That's a known issue with LEDs and indicates that you've got a trickle of current going through the lighting circuit - not enough to light up a conventional bulb, but more than enough to get the electrons in the LEDs agitated. I have the same problem with a set of LEDs in the house, wired into an older PIR - might be worth checking what's going on with your switches.

I replaced my 10W halogens for 1.5W LEDS and was initially very happy, but the replacement bulbs (cheap Chinese things) have been failing one after the other. It might be because they're just a little bit larger than the halogens so don't quite fit properly inside the protetive glass. We'll see if taking the glass out changes things, but maybe they're just crappy bulbs.

Advertisement