Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
24-04-2009, 18:04   #46
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,625
So you did a maths degree in UCC nesf??

My brother is graduating this year, hoping to start myself in September.
turgon is offline  
Advertisement
08-06-2009, 22:03   #47
conorstuff
Registered User
 
conorstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,431
Anyone done mathematical science in UCD?
I have it put down first on my CAO at the moment.
conorstuff is offline  
25-06-2009, 23:29   #48
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
I hope this is an appropriate place to thrown in a question of my own!

All through secondary school maths was my favourite subject, I worked relatively hard at it and in the leaving I got a B1 in higher level. At the time the thought of doing a maths degree never even crossed my mind as I had already assumed I'd never be able for it. Two years into a science degree, I absolutely HATE my course. I keep returning to the fact that I love maths.

I didn't do physics or applied maths in school, and after a fair amount of work only managed a B1 in maths. Am I deluding myself thinking I could cope with a maths degree?! I am a hard worker, and I really havn't found anything thats too difficult about my current science degree (except the endless memorisation that's required ). I'd say at this stage I'm fairly rusty with my maths. But I still really want to switch courses! I'd love to hear from those of you in maths courses, I know you cant tell me whether I'd be able for it or not, but any input you might have would be great.

Alternatively I'd continue on and hope to do a masters in maths, switch tracks from there on. Anyone happen to know of any MSc in maths that accept people without maths degrees by any chance?!
Avasere is offline  
27-06-2009, 02:05   #49
geurrp the yard
Registered User
 
geurrp the yard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasere View Post
I hope this is an appropriate place to thrown in a question of my own!

All through secondary school maths was my favourite subject, I worked relatively hard at it and in the leaving I got a B1 in higher level. At the time the thought of doing a maths degree never even crossed my mind as I had already assumed I'd never be able for it. Two years into a science degree, I absolutely HATE my course. I keep returning to the fact that I love maths.

I didn't do physics or applied maths in school, and after a fair amount of work only managed a B1 in maths. Am I deluding myself thinking I could cope with a maths degree?! I am a hard worker, and I really havn't found anything thats too difficult about my current science degree (except the endless memorisation that's required ). I'd say at this stage I'm fairly rusty with my maths. But I still really want to switch courses! I'd love to hear from those of you in maths courses, I know you cant tell me whether I'd be able for it or not, but any input you might have would be great.

Alternatively I'd continue on and hope to do a masters in maths, switch tracks from there on. Anyone happen to know of any MSc in maths that accept people without maths degrees by any chance?!
Hi op, If you hate your course get out of it. Im in a fairly similar situation to yourself and ive been aceepted to do a maths course in sept touch wood. If you want to transfer course, some colleges will ask you to apply through the cao and the deadline for that is the 1st of july for to be accepted for a course in september. Just be weary that pure maths in college is a bit more abstract from what you do in your science degree or even the leaving. Have you thought of any courses you had in mind?
geurrp the yard is offline  
27-06-2009, 02:14   #50
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasere View Post
All through secondary school maths was my favourite subject, I worked relatively hard at it and in the leaving I got a B1 in higher level. At the time the thought of doing a maths degree never even crossed my mind as I had already assumed I'd never be able for it. Two years into a science degree, I absolutely HATE my course. I keep returning to the fact that I love maths.
As the previous poster said, GET OUT OF YOUR COURSE NOW. There's absolutely no point in continuing with a course you hate: your college years should be among the best years of your life, it should not be an ordeal.

Quote:
I didn't do physics or applied maths in school, and after a fair amount of work only managed a B1 in maths. Am I deluding myself thinking I could cope with a maths degree?! I am a hard worker, and I really havn't found anything thats too difficult about my current science degree (except the endless memorisation that's required ).
No you're not deluding yourself.
I worked harder at Maths than any other subject for my LC and managed just to get a B2.
Two years later, I'm halfway through my Maths/Physics degree and my 2nd year results were better in Maths than Physics.
A B1 at Leaving Cert is 80-84%: that's still a great result. In college, a first class honour is 70%.
If you're a hard worker and are willing to put in the effort you'll be fine!

Quote:
I'd say at this stage I'm fairly rusty with my maths. But I still really want to switch courses! I'd love to hear from those of you in maths courses, I know you cant tell me whether I'd be able for it or not, but any input you might have would be great.
If you'd like to brush up on your maths, perhaps purchase one of the revision guides they publish for higher level maths.

Quote:
Alternatively I'd continue on and hope to do a masters in maths, switch tracks from there on. Anyone happen to know of any MSc in maths that accept people without maths degrees by any chance?!
I wouldn't think so tbh. Even if you could, I think you'd be better off switiching to an undergrad degree in Maths. Doing a Masters in Maths without a maths degree would be very difficult.
KnifeWRENCH is offline  
Advertisement
27-06-2009, 02:25   #51
nesf
Registered User
 
nesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 26,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife-WREEENCH View Post
A B1 at Leaving Cert is 80-84%: that's still a great result. In college, a first class honour is 70%.
Eh, seriously taking things out of context there. It's easier (in pure Maths at least) to get 90+% in the LC than to scrape 70% in college!

That said, the rule of thumb a Maths professor gave to me as a B in the LC should be good enough to warrant trying pure Maths at least. His point was that what was rewarded at LC level was quite different to what is expected at college level and what really matters is how comfortable the person is with the subject rather than whether they could ace the LC.
nesf is offline  
06-07-2009, 16:20   #52
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4
Thanks for the advice, really appreciate all your input. I would pick an interesting subject over an easy one any day. I've still got a fair amount of thinking to do, but thanks!
Avasere is offline  
27-08-2009, 01:59   #53
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
I suppose I should stick this here. I'm going into Trinity to do a common science degree and was planning on doing maths, physics and geography. Anyway, I only did pass maths in the leaving cert and got an A2. Am I deluding myself thinking I'll be able for it?
Hypnotoad is offline  
27-08-2009, 03:40   #54
nesf
Registered User
 
nesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 26,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
I suppose I should stick this here. I'm going into Trinity to do a common science degree and was planning on doing maths, physics and geography. Anyway, I only did pass maths in the leaving cert and got an A2. Am I deluding myself thinking I'll be able for it?
Did you do pass Maths because you found Honours Maths too hard or were you lazy/had a bad teacher/couldn't be bothered etc? (no offence meant, just that I've met quite a few people who did pass Maths who were lazy who went on to be very good at college level maths).
nesf is offline  
Advertisement
27-08-2009, 03:59   #55
DeVore
The monster's daddy!
 
DeVore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 31,766
LC Maths bears almost no relationship to 3rd level maths.

Thats said, if you couldnt handle Honours maths because it was too complex... then yes, you might need to think about it again.

What Nesf said is true too, the reasons you chose Pass maths are important. (I would be surprised if they let you in with only pass maths.... they used to require a C in honours...)

DeV.
DeVore is offline  
27-08-2009, 04:39   #56
nesf
Registered User
 
nesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 26,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeVore View Post
Thats said, if you couldnt handle Honours maths because it was too complex... then yes, you might need to think about it again.
I'd go further than that, if you found Honours Maths too complex and didn't happen to have the worst teacher in the world then I'd be honestly extremely shocked if you could deal with Maths as a degree subject at Third level. There will always be a few exceptions to this but seriously the complexity of Third Level Maths is far far in excess of the complexity of even the most difficult parts of Honours Maths.
nesf is offline  
27-08-2009, 13:11   #57
Calina
Registered User
 
Calina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7,742
I'm glad I found this thread.

I would welcome comments on the following.

I did higher level maths in 1990 and came home with a B. For anyone comparatively young[er than me] we didn't have graduated grades at the time, so a B is where it's at.

Since then I have done a degree in foreign languages, postgraduate studies in both foreign languages and information technology. I'm interested in going back and looking at maths as a college course.

From what I can see, part time (assuming I still have a job) options are DIT or the Open University. I can't see that it's possible to do maths part time in UCD or Trinity and this is a pity because from what I can see, the syllabus in UCD interests me greatly. There are zero part time options for applied maths in DCU which is the closest university to me. Detail on what's covered in the initial maths modules at open.ac.uk is so far not quite clear enough to me so far.

I'm not all that interested in the arguments over what sort of job I'd get out of this. I have spent 10 years working writing assembler code and that was hardly an obvious job for a foreign languages grad.

So I'm asking two things I guess:

1) worth my while doing a leaving cert maths course in the evening to "refresh" if you like? I've no desire to resit leaving cert maths - I did it once before or is it more worth my while to read [again] a few of the popular maths books?

2) any part time options I've missed within reasonable distance of Dublin or by distance education?
Calina is offline  
27-08-2009, 17:22   #58
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
Thanks for the replies.

No one in my year sat LC maths doing honours. I think by mid 5th year everyone had been moved to pass maths regardless of their ability. Honestly, the teachers couldn't teach it to the year. (I don't really like to blame the teachers though).

For me personally, I lost interest in doing anything in school due to family problems in 4th year I think. It was only in very late 6th year that I actually decided to start working, and in that time I learned most of the pass maths (and every other) course myself. I think I had the ability to do it but I'll never know now unfortunately.

If that is the case that I won't be allowed do it due to a lack of requirement then thanks for help anyway!
Hypnotoad is offline  
27-08-2009, 18:05   #59
nesf
Registered User
 
nesf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 26,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Thanks for the replies.

No one in my year sat LC maths doing honours. I think by mid 5th year everyone had been moved to pass maths regardless of their ability. Honestly, the teachers couldn't teach it to the year. (I don't really like to blame the teachers though).

For me personally, I lost interest in doing anything in school due to family problems in 4th year I think. It was only in very late 6th year that I actually decided to start working, and in that time I learned most of the pass maths (and every other) course myself. I think I had the ability to do it but I'll never know now unfortunately.

If that is the case that I won't be allowed do it due to a lack of requirement then thanks for help anyway!
There's an easy way to know, pick up an honours maths book and start doing some of the problems. If you taught yourself pass Maths then you should be able to quickly figure out whether or not you can do the stuff. That you could manage to study Maths independently at second level is a good sign!
nesf is offline  
27-08-2009, 18:42   #60
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesf View Post
There's an easy way to know, pick up an honours maths book and start doing some of the problems. If you taught yourself pass Maths then you should be able to quickly figure out whether or not you can do the stuff. That you could manage to study Maths independently at second level is a good sign!
Never thought of that! Thanks for the idea. I'm a little more confident I'll be able for it now. If not, it's not the end of the world.
Hypnotoad is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet