Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-09-2014, 01:42   #226
NBTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbolton View Post
Hi NBTD

Stick to the big tunes! The repertoire most commonly played in sessions. We (i.e. Ceoltóirí Chluain Tarbh) run a class/slow session for adult learners on Dublin's Northside. We put together a list of 10 essential sets as a guidance in builing up repertoire. You could do worse than start with these:

Reels
The new copperplate
The old Copperplate
The Cameronian

Cooley’s
The wise maid

The silver spear
Father Kelly’s
Miss Monaghan

The maid behind the bar
The Kilmaley
The green mountain

The Tarbolton
The Longford collector
The sailor’s bonnet

Jigs
The geese on the bog
The Connaught man’s rambles
Out in the ocean

The Battering Ram
The Blarney Pilgrim

The pipe on the Hob #1
The pipe on the hob #2

Hornpipes
Off to California
The Liverpool hornpipe
Murphy’s hornpipe

Polkas
The Ballydesmond #2
The Ballydesmond #1
Excellent, thanks for the help! Will download the notes for these and get cracking!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-03-2015, 06:37   #227
johnpratt

hi.....i play guitar/bass guitar looking to form a folk /ballad /trad band anyone interested....send me a pm...i will contact you guys...john
22-06-2015, 21:36   #228
Chocoholic Anonymous

Whistle.
24-06-2015, 16:48   #229

Whistle is my main instrument. I have been playing a bit of flute for a while now but never dedicated as much time to it as the whistle but am slowly working on building up my tone/embouchure. I'm also learning to the play the uilleann pipes.
16-08-2015, 11:40   #230
Speedwell

Hi, everyone. I'm an American permanently resident in Sligo with my Irish husband, and a classically trained pianist and choir member. My husband is not musical and I miss the piano I had to sell when I moved here. I have a good solid learner's bodhrán and a pleasant low D whistle and I'd like to learn both, along with the traditional music. No, I have no Irish ancestry or background. Yes, I love music and I'm longing to play in session when I'm far enough along. If you're a teacher in the area or you know one, would you please look at my post in the teachers' thread? Thanks
Advertisement
21-09-2015, 10:25   #231
Yffisch

I play mainly the button accordion and a couple of different flutes Swedish music is my main focus!
30-11-2015, 12:16   #232
hakunapesa

Hi

I play Uilleann Pipes and Tenor Banjo. I'm Ballinasloe, is there anyone near by who would be interested in learning tunes together or just playing?
09-07-2016, 10:34   #233
Speedwell

Well, I am now a bodhrán player. I went to Junior Davey's excellent music school this week at the Coleman center in Gurteen, and I have a fine solid silver-gray bodhran newly made in Ben March's bodhrán-making class. Yes, I am a beginner. No, I won't throw myself at your session until I am sure I can contribute something, but as a former pianist and chorister I at least have a great understanding of rhythm. Off now to practice my hour a day.

Some of the teachers there also told me I was a good enough whistler (meaning the basic pucker-your-lips-and-blow, not tin whistle) to participate in sessions, which was not something I expected at all, but am happy to try. As for the low whistle, I am not sure my hands are literally large enough to play it, but I'd like someone to tell me differently.
Thanks from:
11-07-2016, 10:03   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwell View Post
Well, I am now a bodhrán player. I went to Junior Davey's excellent music school this week at the Coleman center in Gurteen, and I have a fine solid silver-gray bodhran newly made in Ben March's bodhrán-making class. Yes, I am a beginner. No, I won't throw myself at your session until I am sure I can contribute something, but as a former pianist and chorister I at least have a great understanding of rhythm. Off now to practice my hour a day.

Some of the teachers there also told me I was a good enough whistler (meaning the basic pucker-your-lips-and-blow, not tin whistle) to participate in sessions, which was not something I expected at all, but am happy to try. As for the low whistle, I am not sure my hands are literally large enough to play it, but I'd like someone to tell me differently.
Welcome to what is a wonderful world and potentially an obsession that can take over your life :-D

Unless you have really really small hands I'd be surprised if they are physically too small to play a low whistle (I have seen children playing them). If you just can't make the stretch on a low D, or some of the holes are too big for your finger to cover, you could try a low F whistle. They're not much use for playing in sessions, but they sound lovely and the finger stretch is much less than on a low D. And of course, there's always the humble ordinary tin whistle - nothing wrong with them!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
16-01-2017, 17:01   #235
CianW5

I play Concertina, Piano and Bodhrán. Piano is my favourite and for anyone starting an instrument I would recommend starting the Piano first.
20-04-2017, 12:08   #236
CoisFharraige

Piano, fiddle, guitar.

Piano my favourite, followed by fiddle. Love the versatility of the piano, can do any genre.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion