Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow reports and pics please

• 25-02-2004 5:16pm

It's back.
    Guess what back
    Yes its back :D

No hoo ha about it this time really but , more of a chance of see'ing the odd flake than the last panic.

Indeed there was some here a little while ago.

Now let it please go away thanks.

Whats bringing it?

Well theres a cold polar air mass over the country which looks like it will hang around for at least a week.

Combine that with some weather activity some troughs and fronts and theres no business like snow business if you like that sort of thing.

It's more the north and west at risk for the moment but all areas could have some.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Tomorrow looks good for us Dubs (as does later on in the weekend when the winds may turn more NE).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Originally posted by Longfield
    Tomorrow looks good for us Dubs (as does later on in the weekend when the winds may turn more NE).
    Yes there was a lot of activity in the Irish sea today.

Unlike the last time, this is snow and the north north west wind has been blowing into wales giving a good covering in parts there.

A north East would bring that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Originally posted by Earthman
    It's more the north and west at risk for the moment but all areas could have some.

Well I did see a few floating flakes between the hailstones.

But nothing is sticking....:(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it would stick if there was a decent shower of snow but there are cloudless skys now and during winter cold snaps Ireland usually escapes with a totally cloud free night with just a heavy frost. this cold snap is definitely colder than the joke of a cold snap that never happened in January tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Shes snowin here in South Derry ... ww)

I'd say there is about 3+ inchs on the ground... and its still snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

snow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

not as scenic as eth0_'s...

snow.jpg

• Nice pictures :)

Well here in sheltered south Wicklow, it is very cold and frosty and there are some light snow flurries blowing about, but nothing significant.
    All this stuff is mainly affecting Northern and western areas thanks to the wind direction being north-northwest.

We usually don't get a whole lot unless the wind is in the East or North east, but looking at the radar theres a lot of activity, so I guess It will be a miracle if some of it doesnt appear even here especially given it's blowing about now.

As regards what Longfield said about the wind changing to the east by the end of the w/end, thats going to be combined, it looks like with a rise in pressure, which indicates that by then it will be mostly dry :)

Go away Snow, please thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Continuing heavy snow across Westmeath for the last hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

There was a touch of light snow/sleet this morning in South Dublin, it was sticking a bit around the grass at UCD but its getting nice and bright now. Fecking brass monkeys though, brr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

On and off here is Sligo for the morning.
    Not really sticking yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

snow rules

• The flurries have changed to steady heavy snow down here in South Wicklow.

It is settling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Got loads of pics of my digicam from my bedroom window...
    Will upload em later, right now, Im off to build a snowman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Wait until ye get some proper snow there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why does the east coast almost always seem to avoid any kind of heavy snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Originally posted by Imposter
    Wait until ye get some proper snow there! :)

Is that Leitrim?:D :D;)

Lots of snow and hail showers here. The ground stays white for about five minutes and then it melts in the sun. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by super_furry
    Why does the east coast almost always seem to avoid any kind of heavy snow?

I've never seen the east coast of the country 'avoid' anything. :D:D

The east-coast has always had a thing about snow ever since the......unpleasantness.
    At the first flake, it hitches it's skirts and runs towards the equator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

snow here in the County of Waterford also

the Comeraghs have a bit on them, not a whole lot from what i saw but down here at sea level it isnt sticking

• Advertisement

Still lots of blustery showers, but it's not settling. Hills look good though.

snowhills2.jpg

• sunbeam

nice photo :)

I've put the image inside your post, it's only 40kb so it's no prob having a pic that size in.
    you just have to put img tags on your link to the pic and its there.

Brrrr tiz bitter out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

20040225.01.jpg

lots of snow here, this was taken a few weeks ago, although it faded away a tiny bit since.. then we got another 7inches or snow over last few days. (i'm in helsinki)

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My son, my house and our first snow....

http://members.boards.ie/daveg/DSC00039.JPG

• Nice House Daveg and nice snow photo :)

I've took the img tags out as the image is 800k or more and just left the link so anyone on 56k can know the file size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Earthman
    Nice House Daveg and nice snow photo :)

I've took the img tags out as the image is 800k or more and just left the link so anyone on 56k can know the file size.

Sound. Sorry bout the image size. I'd re-size if I knew how.

• Theres advice on that over on pick and mix i think...
    I haven't a clue either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

This is how things were looking on Mt Leinster last saturday (had to walk to the top as the access road was completely undrivable). Snow

Advertisement