Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Water Bottle Cage Screws

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭jeffk

Type 17 wrote: »
    These bolts are aluminium and so it's really easy to damage the threads on them.

Use some grease on the threads.

If things are spinning, then:

Check if the rivnut (the threaded part in your bike frame) is spinning, or if the spinning is due to the threads on the bolt (or in the rivnut itself) being stripped off.

If the rivnut is spinning, you might be able to re-tighten it with a steel bolt and several large M5 washers and a pliers (ask for details if required)

If the rivnut is stripped, you'll need to find someone with a few spare M5 rivnuts and a rivnut setting tool (an engineering place rather than a bike shop).

Thanks for all the replies and information, really a novice at this and I know its something stupid and all small and should not be such an issue

I think Ill go to halfords on bike a say whats happening, do they fit them without charge and if they go in ok that's that

If not then Ill be back to you as likely rivnut is knackered, unlikely with the bolts being aluminum as you said

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Go to Local Bike Shop, ask them to fit.

Buy a tube or something and they will probably fit it for free (I know I would).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Last set of bottle cages I bought came with new screws, although they were Carbon cages (half price in halfords)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

If you look at the threads on the screw you'll be able to see whether they're damaged or not

Went to halfords and he took a new set of bolts off a cage on the floor, wouldn't work, tried a bolt he had there and then looked on wall of bolts etc to no joy.
    Helpful and seemed to have a clue rather than you usual halfords staff member (think it helped he cycles himself)

Went down to LBS (cyclezone) tried the standard bolt to no joy, then got a tool which I think basically cleaned the threads (was a t-bar thing, couldn't see exactly) and the screws went in no bother

So much messing over two bolts, thanks for the help/advice/suggestions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The t-handled thing is a handle to hold an M5 tap (from a tap-and-die set), which is used to cut new threads, or (as in your case) chase out damaged threads.

Type 17 wrote: »
    The t-handled thing is a handle to hold an M5 tap (from a tap-and-die set), which is used to cut new threads, or (as in your case) chase out damaged threads.

That's what I was thinking as for love nor Money the screw wouldn't go in, so wasn't biting on a thread to pull it in

That there goes to show difference between halfords and a LBS

Advertisement