Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2019, 10:09   #3196
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Whyte is wbc no 1 contender I think
Your correct and after Wilder v Ortiz it'll be over 600 days as number 1 contender without a title fight, Crazy stuff,
Advertisement
24-06-2019, 10:11   #3197
Mantis Toboggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
Your correct and after Wilder v Ortiz it'll be over 600 days as number 1 contender without a title fight, Crazy stuff,
Didn't he turn down some fights?
24-06-2019, 10:26   #3198
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Ye he turned down the AJ fight due to being low balled but it's Wilder who has the WBC belt,

He is number 1 in WBC for that amount of time and has not been offered Wilder and is chasing it, .

I wouldn't be surprised if his own man Eddie is keeping him for getting the fight, He wants that fight for AJ not Whyte,
24-06-2019, 20:10   #3199
Miccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Turned down title shot vs Joshua aswell as 2 final eliminators vs pulev and ortiz in order to take the chisora rematch for bigger money which is fair enough but he has no one to blame bar himself for not having got a shot yet.
24-06-2019, 22:37   #3200
nacho libre

Rivas could well beat Whyte. He'll have to take those fights he avoided to build himself back up then. It could end up being a bad year for Eddie if Joshua then goes on to lose his rematch with Ruiz.
Advertisement
25-06-2019, 00:00   #3201
squinn2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacho libre View Post
Rivas could well beat Whyte. He'll have to take those fights he avoided to build himself back up then. It could end up being a bad year for Eddie if Joshua then goes on to lose his rematch with Ruiz.
It’s an interesting match up. I’m going to that fight. I personally think Whyte will be too big and ignorant for him
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 16:11   #3202
Morrison J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miccoli View Post
Turned down title shot vs Joshua aswell as 2 final eliminators vs pulev and ortiz in order to take the chisora rematch for bigger money which is fair enough but he has no one to blame bar himself for not having got a shot yet.
Exactly. Can't understand why people have the violin out for Whyte.

He's beat a British level Lucas Browne, gone life and death with a European level Chisora twice and scraped by Parker who's nothing special at all. He's picked the easiest route possible and made a tonne of money on PPV in the process. Dunno why anyone would feel sorry for him. Needs to fight better opposition before he's granted a title shot. Usyk 100% is more deserving after unifying one of the toughest divisions in the sport.
25-06-2019, 19:58   #3203
Sebastian Dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison J View Post
Made a tonne of money on PPV in the process.
This is part of the problem. Hes been carried along on AJs coat tails, being built by Hearn as a possible opponent for stadium fights down the line, and has lucked into a period where fans are willing to pay PPV money for mid level boxing. Good luck to him, but now he thinks hes a top draw and A level fighter so turns down fights that are "beneath him" financially.
Thanks from:
26-06-2019, 10:34   #3204
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Dangerfield View Post
This is part of the problem. Hes been carried along on AJs coat tails, being built by Hearn as a possible opponent for stadium fights down the line, and has lucked into a period where fans are willing to pay PPV money for mid level boxing. Good luck to him, but now he thinks hes a top draw and A level fighter so turns down fights that are "beneath him" financially.
To be fair to him, he has totally changed his public imagine and cleaned up his act in front of the camera's in a bid to make more cash and it has worked for him

Reminds me a lot of Bellew who was also polished up by Eddie and changed his whole public imagine ,

The two lads are rough as F*ck but listened to Eddie and matchroom and went on to make more money than they could have dreamed of,

A huge part of them making that cash is picking the right fights to trick the public into thinking they are better boxer's and bigger star than they actually are.

I think we all see Whyte as a good gate keeper who mite pull off an upset set or two along the way ,
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-06-2019, 11:17   #3205
squinn2912

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourdeadwright View Post
To be fair to him, he has totally changed his public imagine and cleaned up his act in front of the camera's in a bid to make more cash and it has worked for him

Reminds me a lot of Bellew who was also polished up by Eddie and changed his whole public imagine ,

The two lads are rough as F*ck but listened to Eddie and matchroom and went on to make more money than they could have dreamed of,

A huge part of them making that cash is picking the right fights to trick the public into thinking they are better boxer's and bigger star than they actually are.

I think we all see Whyte as a good gate keeper who mite pull off an upset set or two along the way ,
Whyte is a bruiser who is making a lot of himself. Gatekeeper is the right term for him! Dave Allen got the ko vs a better Lucas Browne and look how long it took Whyte to finally make a job of him. Even Rivas is a pretty soft option for him. Small but good record. He’s not going in with Ortiz or pulev
Thanks from:
26-06-2019, 17:52   #3206
nacho libre

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinn2912 View Post
It’s an interesting match up. I’m going to that fight. I personally think Whyte will be too big and ignorant for him
You maybe right he might get past him , but he is going to be exposed soon enough. If Parker fought him again, i think he'd win. Fury and Wilder will beat handily. Anyway I hope you get to see a good bout!
Thanks from:
26-06-2019, 18:06   #3207
Lion Killer

Did anyone watch Rivas vs. Fabio Maldonado? How did Rivas not blast him out in a few rounds? Watched Maldonado get wrecked by Michael Hunter a few weeks back and was surprised to read he went the distance with Rivas.
27-06-2019, 22:41   #3208
Checkmate19

Imo Whyte is average. He's avoided eliminator's to take the PPV average fights. Chisora is a very average and i think he won the first fight against Whyte. Parker is another average fighter who could have won that fight. Whyte is a second tier fighter who on his day could cause an upset against the big boys. But he can only blame himself for not getting a shot against wilder as he's ducked the eliminator's.
09-07-2019, 23:10   #3209
squinn2912

How do you guys see Price vs Allen going? Probably the match up I’m most looking forward to!
10-07-2019, 00:04   #3210
Lion Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squinn2912 View Post
How do you guys see Price vs Allen going? Probably the match up I’m most looking forward to!
I am picking Dave Allen by TKO around 5/6 round.

The longer the fight goes the better Allen's chance. Price gets tired easily and unless he blasts Allen out with a right hand then I think Allen will catch up with him. Price gets so tired he is almost a sitting duck. I could see Allen landing a big overhand like in the Nick Webb fight.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion