Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Tony and Conor should be prepared to step in as a late replacement. I have a feeling Dustin won't make the fight.
    Any reason for that feeling? Have you heard a rumour about an injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Autecher wrote: »
    Any reason for that feeling? Have you heard a rumour about an injury?

No reason, just a hunch. Dustin is an emotional guy and I think 4+ months to train for the biggest fight in your career is a long time. I've a feeling he'll work too hard and injure himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Khabib will pull out before Dustin gets a chance to. Then it will be Tony vs Dustin and Dustin will pull out.

Tony and Conor should be prepared to step in as a late replacement. I have a feeling Dustin won't make the fight.
    Conor is past the point of being a late replacement.

With the contract he's on, the amount of PPV points he gets, his sponsorship requirements (Proper 12) etc they can't just drop him into an existing card. They'd want time to promote his fight properly, raise ticket prices, do special deals with broadcasters etc.

I just don't see it happening. He's a once a year fighter now and that one fight will always take time to put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Could be too soon for Conor with his hand the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

The Nal wrote: »
    Could be too soon for Conor with his hand the way it is.

How bad is it? Was it a sparing injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

How bad is it? Was it a sparing injury?

Yeah JK said he caught someone on the side of the head in sparring.

Speaking of JK and McGregor - has he been seen in any SBG in the last few months? I don't think he has?

dulux99 wrote: »

Speaking of JK and McGregor - has he been seen in any SBG in the last few months? I don't think he has?

Conor seems to have been spending more time at crumlin boxing club than anywhere else. Wonder if John is just pretending he set up the sparring so he doesn't have to say where he was really sparring, which was somewhere besides sbg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I don't see an issue with him doing some training in his old club. Fighters spend time in different gyms all the time.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I don't see an issue with him doing some training in his old club. Fighters spend time in different gyms all the time.

To not step foot in your actual gym in about 6 months is weird, and probably lends itself well to the rumours about why he doesn't train in sbg anymore. But that's not for discussion here.

• Advertisement

I imagine the driving ban has some effect on that. plus Naas being closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I imagine the driving ban has some effect on that. plus Naas being closer.

He's in crumblin every other day and has his bouncer/driver/punchbag anyway.

He was back in for sparring session that injured his hand. Kavanagh says hes due back after his rehab.
    To not step foot in your actual gym in about 6 months is weird, and probably lends itself well to the rumours about why he doesn't train in sbg anymore. But that's not for discussion here.

In the same interview JK said that its not unusual to not see his fighters for long periods of time.

The Nal wrote: »
    He was back in for sparring session that injured his hand. Kavanagh says hes due back after his rehab.

In the same interview JK said that its not unusual to not see his fighters for long periods of time.

He's been training with John, but not in sbg. That's unusual.

He's been training with John, but not in sbg. That's unusual.

Sure, unusual guy though! JK did say he'll be back training in SBG after rehab though.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Tony was 60 last week for God's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

spix wrote: »
    Conor seems to have been spending more time at crumlin boxing club than anywhere else. Wonder if John is just pretending he set up the sparring so he doesn't have to say where he was really sparring, which was somewhere besides sbg.

You are quite literally just making stuff up. Why would Kavanagh lie about setting up the spar? In what universe does him admitting that he felt bad about setting up a spar benefit him?

crybaby wrote: »
    You are quite literally just making stuff up. Why would Kavanagh lie about setting up the spar? In what universe does him admitting that he felt bad about setting up a spar benefit him?

Ariel was asking for details on the spar. If he didn't say he set it up then he'd have to say he knew nothing about it which meant conor was training somewhere else. That's not a good look for sbg for their main star to not actually be training there. Its ok when he's out of the country but if hes in Ireland training somewhere else (which he was) then thats not something John would want people to think as it would hurt the reputation of his gym.

When you're coming in an out of training sporadically you're more like to injure yourself. Seems to be a pattern with him now.

spix wrote: »
    Ariel was asking for details on the spar. If he didn't say he set it up then he'd have to say he knew nothing about it which meant conor was training somewhere else. That's not a good look for sbg for their main star to not actually be training there. Its ok when he's out of the country but if hes in Ireland training somewhere else (which he was) then thats not something John would want people to think as it would hurt the reputation of his gym.

Or he could be brushing up on his boxing/footwork in a boxing club, which would be more focused on that, compared to an MMA gym.

It's very much a non issue for the majority of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

After that Artem fight I definitely believe McGregor now about smashing Paulie. Wonder if they ever will release that video.

Doff wrote: »
    After that Artem fight I definitely believe McGregor now about smashing Paulie. Wonder if they ever will release that video.

They've already released the "knockdown" which was far from clean.

JK said on Joe Rogan that Netflix are doing a documentary about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Paulie’s performance was pathetic..

Only the interview afterwards was more pathetic

2 things he needs to do.

1. Put the gloves away

And more importantly, 2: put the fooking mic down

What an absolute pr1ck he is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Doff wrote: »

If Conor really did that well [well enough to concuss Paulie like Conor now claims] don't you think we would have seen that footage by now?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    If Conor really did that well [well enough to concuss Paulie like Conor now claims] don't you think we would have seen that footage by now?

Unless the documentary includes full rights to the footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

https://www.facebook.com/263463323814792/posts/1371996376294809/

Dana white talking about Conor turning up in Abu Dhabi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Mellor wrote: »
    Unless the documentary includes full rights to the footage.

And It will be heavily edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Has Conor's recent lack of beard been brought up? I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭paulieeye

BigMo1 wrote: »
    Has Conor's recent lack of beard been brought up? I like it.

Thats the final nail that this coffin of a thread needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

paulieeye wrote: »
    Thats the final nail that this coffin of a thread needed!

I think he looked better with the beard. Especially the big bushy chin beard that he had for the Khabib and Mendes fights. The beard suits his facial structure.

Advertisement